The Student Room Group

Comp Sci at UCL/Imperial/Kings?

Can someone tell me about Comp Sci at UCL/Imperial/Kings?
Not things that I know already (modules etc)

Is it intense?
Is the department good?
Is it a lot of theory? or is there a lot of practical to it too?
Your experiences? etc.

Thank you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
http://www.unistats.com/

will give you a few answers, use the compare courses feature
Reply 2
Original post by Synikk
http://www.unistats.com/

will give you a few answers, use the compare courses feature

Sorry I don't mean comparing them, I meant as each uni as its own course. I've applied to all 3 stated :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by edothero
Sorry I don't mean comparing them, I meant as each uni as its own course. I've applied to all 3 stated :smile:

Oh right, well i have a friend doing cs at imperial and when i asked him he advised me to apply to somewhere like ucl/warwick. He loves computing but absolutely hates the uni atmosphere there. He told me there's no time for a work life balance or spending a nice amount of time going out and meeting people. He put it as it's like your spending all your time studying just to compete to be mediocre. If you're the diehard work kind of guy then imperial is a fine choice, but bear in mind there's a lot more sacrifice if you go to uni at imperial over somewhere like ucl, not to say ucl is by any means easy going. What are all five of your choices if you dont mind me asking?
Reply 4
Original post by Synikk
Oh right, well i have a friend doing cs at imperial and when i asked him he advised me to apply to somewhere like ucl/warwick. He loves computing but absolutely hates the uni atmosphere there. He told me there's no time for a work life balance or spending a nice amount of time going out and meeting people. He put it as it's like your spending all your time studying just to compete to be mediocre. If you're the diehard work kind of guy then imperial is a fine choice, but bear in mind there's a lot more sacrifice if you go to uni at imperial over somewhere like ucl, not to say ucl is by any means easy going. What are all five of your choices if you dont mind me asking?

This has got to be my only fear of Imperial.
At the moment I'm liking the look of Comp Sci at UCL. The course seems to balance theory and practical well, along with many different things that they offer.

I have applied to:
Imperial
UCL
KCL
QMUL

EE Engineering with Computer Science H601 - UCL

I emailed the EEE department at UCL and they said a Comp Sci PS would be fine..
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
This has got to be my only fear of Imperial.
At the moment I'm liking the look of Comp Sci at UCL. The course seems to balance theory and practical well, along with many different things that they offer.

I have applied to:
Imperial
UCL
KCL
QMUL

EE Engineering with Computer Science H601 - UCL

I emailed the EEE department at UCL and they said a Comp Sci PS would be fine..

Alright that's fair enough then. It is a big drop from UCL to kcl and qmul though. But if you have to stay in london i suppose you don't really have a choice. If you get into imperial i would just firm it because what my friend told me is just one man's opinion, you'll have your own unique experiences at imperial and might end up loving your time there.
Can someone tell me about Comp Sci at UCL/Imperial/Kings?
Not things that I know already (modules etc)

Is it intense?
Is the department good?
Is it a lot of theory? or is there a lot of practical to it too?
Your experiences? etc.

Thank you.

CompSci at Imperial is intense, it's in the top two or three in the country, rivalled only by Oxbridge. It has a good mix of theoretical and practical and has amazing links to industry. Many go on to interning at Google, Facebook, Amazon etc and you do a placement in your fourth year if you choose to do the MEng. Top employers, banks, tech firms etc really value Imperial. The starting salary is the highest among all CS courses.

Original post by Synikk

Disagreed, I had plenty of time to go out. Not that much compared to more social unis but that's what you get for going to a good uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by yl95
CompSci at Imperial is intense, it's in the top two or three in the country, rivalled only by Oxbridge. It has a good mix of theoretical and practical and has amazing links to industry. Many go on to interning at Google, Facebook, Amazon etc and you do a placement in your fourth year if you choose to do the MEng. Top employers, banks, tech firms etc really value Imperial. The starting salary is the highest among all CS courses.

I'm aware of the sparkling reputation that comes with Imperial. It's just that I get mixed responses when I ask people about free-time/intensity.

Original post by yl95
Disagreed, I had plenty of time to go out. Not that much compared to more social unis but that's what you get for going to a good uni.Posted from TSR Mobile

A lot of people tell me that sometimes there's no time to even go out, however on the contrary, a lot of people also tell me that this is all a big myth and you do get loads of time off. With some people falling in between. I guess it's down to the person?

I'm ready to put in a lot of work, but I don't want to be working all day, every day. I understand that part of going to a university like Imperial, you should expect to work more than other universities, but at places like Oxbridge/Imperial seem like the work is never-ending.

CS at Imperial would definitely put me at the best position upon graduation. According to unistats, for MEng Computing (Software Engineering), the course I wish to study; the average starting salary is £38,000. [Data from 35 students]

My other choice, one that I think would suit me slightly better, is UCL. One that also has an amazing reputation. But again, I would need to visit the universities on open day to make a final decision (given I get offers from both obviously). After all, you have to feel comfortable at the university, no point picking a university based on it's name.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending