The Student Room Group

Re-takes

I am in my second year of A-levels and I'm going to apply for medicine next year. In my AS although I achieved an A overall in biology, I got a B in my unit 2. I am wondering if it is worth re-taking the paper in June when I sit all my other A2 exams...
Depends on how high a B it was and how confident you are with A2 really as it is perfectly possible to get an A at A2 with the grades you got. As you got an A overall you could leave it - I had a similar situation with my AS Chemistry. Bear in mind that if you do choose to retake you'll have the burden of an extra exam to study for, and this might affect your A2 exams as a result.

Ultimately I'd talk to your teacher and ask for some advice as they know you and the course a lot better than I do, but hopefully this sheds a bit of light on your situation :smile:
Reply 2
I did some research on getting an A* at A2 as it's the grade I'm aiming for. It said that to get an A* at A-level you need to get above 90% in your A2 exams whatever your marks at AS. Is this true?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by vrna.4
I did some research on getting an A* at A2 as it's the grade I'm aiming for. It said that to get an A* at A-level you need to get above 90% in your A2 exams whatever your marks at AS. Is this true?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No if you are currently in A2 / yr 13 then that is not true as your AS makes up 50% of your overall grade but if you are in yr12 right now then that is partially true. With the new reforms, it means that any 'AS' exams you do at the end of year 12 do not contribute one bit towards your final grade. This means that you have to do the AS level again in year 13 and this AS exam you do in year 13 makes up half of your grade along with the A2 exam at the end of year 13. I hope I've made it clearer?
Original post by vrna.4

Posted from TSR Mobile

In a 'old spec' six module A level you need a total of 480 UMS ie overall 80%, with a 90% average of your A2 units.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending