The Student Room Group

Condonation vs Re-sit - which do employers prefer

I am finishing uni this year but did not pass one uni module. Because it's a one-off I can apparently leave it as a condonation where it's seen as a fail but I can still graduate. I've also got the option to re-sit the module, and because of the marking boycott, there is no marking cap this year so I could potentially do quite well.

The only issue is that I would have to re-sit next year. I study law and hope to qualify as a solicitor. I am wondering if anyone here knows whether employers, particularly law firms, care if I have a condonation on my transcript, or whether I should not take the chance and go for the re-sit?
Hello,

While a condonation can let you graduate right away, not all companies would think favourably of it. To talk about your options and possible outcomes, think about contacting the academic adviser or career services office at your university. In order to find out how the legal firms you are considering in working for perceive condonations on transcripts, you can also conduct some research on their unique rules and preferences. In the end, the choice is yours, so carefully consider all of your possibilities before making a choice.

In my opinion, it is always good to strive for the best possible results to impress the employers.

Good luck with that.

Lucie,
PhD student,
Cranfield university
Original post by jhcardus
I am finishing uni this year but did not pass one uni module. Because it's a one-off I can apparently leave it as a condonation where it's seen as a fail but I can still graduate. I've also got the option to re-sit the module, and because of the marking boycott, there is no marking cap this year so I could potentially do quite well.

The only issue is that I would have to re-sit next year. I study law and hope to qualify as a solicitor. I am wondering if anyone here knows whether employers, particularly law firms, care if I have a condonation on my transcript, or whether I should not take the chance and go for the re-sit?

Is it just going to appear as a condoned on one module, but you will still get a 2.1 overall, or will it impact your overall grade (other than by a hidden percentage? And presumably it wasn't in a mandatory subject, so it still counts as a qualifying degree?
Reply 3
Original post by threeportdrift
Is it just going to appear as a condoned on one module, but you will still get a 2.1 overall, or will it impact your overall grade (other than by a hidden percentage? And presumably it wasn't in a mandatory subject, so it still counts as a qualifying degree?

It will appear as condoned but my 2:1 won't be affected and it will still be a qualifying degree. The module I failed was intellectual property and was not in a mandatory subject; I have the option to re-take, but because of personal circumstances I will only be able to do it next year.
Original post by jhcardus
It will appear as condoned but my 2:1 won't be affected and it will still be a qualifying degree. The module I failed was intellectual property and was not in a mandatory subject; I have the option to re-take, but because of personal circumstances I will only be able to do it next year.

Then unless you want to work in IP, I'd crack on with what you've got. Just have a short, pithy reason why you failed IP if anyone asks at interview. It's not significant enough to take a whole year re-doing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending