The Student Room Group

York or Bath?

Sorry to create another one of these threads but I did a search and couldn't find a direct comparison between the two and all the "top ten Economics unis" threads I could find were pretty much inconclusive as to which is the better of the two.

I've got unconditionals from Bath, York and Manchester for straight Bsc Economics and my Warwick application is still pending (In the unlikely event I get accepted I'll definitely be going there)

So I was just looking for oppinions of which is the better university to go for career wise and academically?
I prefer York, I think they are pretty similar in terms of academic comparisons. I've also heard York has very good teaching.
Got to be Bath. Consisently higher up in the rankings, it's a more mathematical course and the placement year should give you an edge in the job market.
Reply 3
I think York has the better department and also a better university overall. It certainly is more well known. However if you do the degree with the placement year at Bath then I would say they are on par with each other. If no placement year then definitely York.
Reply 4
If you can get the year in industry and career prospects are very important to you then I'd go for Bath. I think the year in industry gives you that edge in the job market. Otherwise, York's economics department is very highly regarded, both are very similar in terms of reputation. I'd choose York but then I'm a bit biased as thats where I'm likely to be going next year.
Reply 5
what exactly is a year in industry? how good are these placements? are they like F/O at BB? or Operations? Surely same can be more or less achieved by applying to Easter/Spring programmes in 1st year in York and then summer internship in 2nd year and then job post 3rd year...
abrp
what exactly is a year in industry? how good are these placements? are they like F/O at BB? or Operations? Surely same can be more or less achieved by applying to Easter/Spring programmes in 1st year in York and then summer internship in 2nd year and then job post 3rd year...

No one mentioned IB. Of course they are not at F/O BB because otherwise everyone would try and get on them. I think you can do them in technology or ops though. Why does everyone assume that Bath is the only place you can do them? I'm sure if you asked your director of studies at York if you could take a year out to do one, he would let you. I've already asked at Durham and I've been told I can. The only difference about Bath is that it finds them for you, which can be a good thing, can be a bad thing.
Reply 7
i cant decided whether i should do:
Economics
Economics and Finance
PPE

at York.
help me decide!
markfung
Economics
Economics and Finance
PPE

at York.
help me decide!

Do whichever one interests you. Economics and Economics and Finance - you will probably be able to switch between them after the first year.
markfung
Economics
Economics and Finance
PPE

at York.
help me decide!

First of all, although you think it's better not creating another trivial thread, you're taking the focus away from the original poster's discussion.

And you haven't told us what you're looking for out of your degree. Sorry for stating the obvious, but it depends on what you want to do. All 3 are quite different degrees. If reputation is what you're looking for, I'd guess Economics or PPE.
for PPE York has the reputation of being 3rd best in UK after Ox + Warwick...for economics it does not.
Reply 11
Thanks for the replies, seeing as I'm not planning on taking a sandwich year then probably my best bet is York.

I've still not visited Bath so I'll go down there and take a looksee or I can just hope on a Warwick offer which makes the decision a whole lot easier :smile:
i'd say bath.york is such a dull place honestly

Latest

Trending

Trending