The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Zeitgeist
thinking about it, i was wondering how many people got offers without interview and what their offers were, if you dont mind me asking!!!

mine was Castle - ABB - without interview

well knw this was sed a while ago but my offer was

Van Mildert - BBB - without interview
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
angel18
well knw this was sed a while ago but my offer was

Van Mildert - BBB - without interview

Does Durham interview at all? I thought they only do that with mature students.
Reply 22
shilling
Yep, I had one :smile:
Reply 23
shilling

erm yep coz my mate had one n i knw uvers that av
Reply 24
and of course nearly everyone interviews for law!

Anybody doing ab initio russian?
Reply 25
Right...it was just the English department I was thinking of then :smile:
shilling
Right...it was just the English department I was thinking of then :smile:

Same with the sciences, I don't think they interview people for those eitherrrr
Reply 27
hey guys, I'm doing french and spanish at durham (st. aidans). I'm not sure what the quality of teaching is like either! Oooh...do any of you guys know if the durham language courses are heavily literatiure based because although literature is bearable...I don't want to base my degree around it! Can any one enlighten me???
Reply 28
clint553
hey guys, I'm doing french and spanish at durham (st. aidans). I'm not sure what the quality of teaching is like either! Oooh...do any of you guys know if the durham language courses are heavily literatiure based because although literature is bearable...I don't want to base my degree around it! Can any one enlighten me???

hmm,well from what i can make out, there is quite a bit of scope to move away from literature and study linguistics, cinema, philosophy etc, but i'll try and find out more, cos i could do with checking too! :smile:
http://www.dur.ac.uk/SMEL/ - that may be of some use :confused: :rolleyes:
Reply 29
Zeitgeist
id really like some decent info on castle as well, im getting worried now, cos i have reaad the accomodation is abysmal. i dont know on what standards this i judged but id really like to find out more!

Ooh you're lucky to get into castle, its the hardest one to get into I think! Yeah the accomodation that first years normally get put into-moatside I think its called-is bad from what I've heard but I think its getting refurbished soon so it should be all nice and new for you in October! Plus, in third year you might get to live in the castle!! I'm so jealous :redface:
Reply 30
SweetSugar
Ooh you're lucky to get into castle, its the hardest one to get into I think! Yeah the accomodation that first years normally get put into-moatside I think its called-is bad from what I've heard but I think its getting refurbished soon so it should be all nice and new for you in October! Plus, in third year you might get to live in the castle!! I'm so jealous :redface:

aw, well you can come and visit me!! :wink:

where are you going sweetsugar?
Reply 31
Zeitgeist
aw, well you can come and visit me!! :wink:

where are you going sweetsugar?

Yep I'll defiantely be coming down to see the castle, I didn't see inside it when I came to Durham! And I hear the bar is very cool as well. I'm going to St Aidans but applied to castle-but love St Aidans so doesn't matter!
Reply 32
SweetSugar

that sounds nice
Reply 33
which college has the most en-suite accomodation?
Reply 34
Jess
which college has the most en-suite accomodation?

En-suite... too expensive... for me and fellow North-Easterners.
It's already really expensive to go to any Durham college, because they're all catered for, and about £90 a week. That's a lot of money. Plus, I'm off to London afterwards to do a vocational course for a year (£6000 + living costs!!). University is tough for the unfortunate like moi.
Reply 35
Thom18
En-suite... too expensive... for me and fellow North-Easterners.
It's already really expensive to go to any Durham college, because they're all catered for, and about £90 a week. That's a lot of money. Plus, I'm off to London afterwards to do a vocational course for a year (£6000 + living costs!!). University is tough for the unfortunate like moi.

When it comes to college accomadation in Durham, everything is priced the same, but Finalists get to pick first, so the En-suite rooms are always taken by finalists before freshers get a look in.

The only exceptions are some of the newest blocks, which are priced higher, but you keep the room over the vacations. Mildert has a block like this, I can't remember if anywhere else does. The Uni always stresses the advantages of not having to move your stuff around, and the flexibility it gives you, but the cynic in me feels that perhaps the conference trade is not booming. As the rooms are more expensive, some are left over that Freshers take. A friend of mine is in his final year at Mildert, and there are freshers on his corridor, and he has en-suite, internet point, fridge, kettle etc. For any potential Mildert students the phrase to look out for is "40 week let"

In some colleges there may be en-suite shared rooms left availible for freshers, but I am not sure.
Reply 36
dave134
When it comes to college accomadation in Durham, everything is priced the same, but Finalists get to pick first, so the En-suite rooms are always taken by finalists before freshers get a look in.

I always thought that it was a higher price in every college for en-suite. That's good news if you're right.
Reply 37
dave134

The only exceptions are some of the newest blocks, which are priced higher, but you keep the room over the vacations. Mildert has a block like this, I can't remember if anywhere else does. The Uni always stresses the advantages of not having to move your stuff around, and the flexibility it gives you, but the cynic in me feels that perhaps the conference trade is not booming. As the rooms are more expensive, some are left over that Freshers take. A friend of mine is in his final year at Mildert, and there are freshers on his corridor, and he has en-suite, internet point, fridge, kettle etc. For any potential Mildert students the phrase to look out for is "40 week let"

In some colleges there may be en-suite shared rooms left availible for freshers, but I am not sure.

ohhh thanx il luk at 4 dat wen im tryin 2 hustle in on da gud rooms in Mildert!!! it'l be mine i tell you *ahem* annyways cheers n il b off now
dave134
A friend of mine is in his final year at Mildert, and there are freshers on his corridor, and he has en-suite, internet point, fridge, kettle etc. For any potential Mildert students the phrase to look out for is "40 week let"

I don't think Ill be going for those expensive en-suite rooms...I stayed at a basic room (with sink, wardrobe etc) when I went to Mildert and it was good enough :smile: Oh also, so if its not a 40 week let, and is say...28 week let instead...does that mean we'll have to take our things home every vacation?
angel18
ohhh thanx il luk at 4 dat wen im tryin 2 hustle in on da gud rooms in Mildert!!! it'l be mine i tell you *ahem* annyways cheers n il b off now

Not if I get there first! :biggrin: lol jk. Oh and I just realised how totally irrelevant all this is to the actual thread title :rolleyes:

Latest