The Student Room Group

Mature student - Durham

I've made this post here so that I am able to remain anonymous.

-------

I left university some years ago with a natural sciences degree and I have since discovered a passion for languages.

I'm considering the possibility of going to my local university (Durham) to do a modern languages degree.

I have no issue with being a mature student, however having previously pursued study in the sciences, all of my A-levels are sciences.
Would I need to "redo" A-levels, e.g. by a distance learning provider, so that I can obtain language A-levels?

What would a university like Durham think of a mature student who already has a degree?
Would my application be immediately binned?
Reply 1
Bump
i am a mature student with a non-UK degree. i have recently applied and received an offer from Durham using my university grades. My a-level results do not meet my course's lowest requirements, but Durham was able to consider my undergraduate degree as my latest qualification and offered me admission.
Do write to their admissions office for confirmation before applying though. I called and emailed them a couple of times to clarify things before sending my application.
All the best!
Additional notes:

my a-level and university studies are not relevant to the course I applied to. So I wouldn't recommend taking additional a-level subjects if they are not a pre-requisite or admission requirement. Your application is unlikely to be immediately binned. That said, I applied to a different faculty, so my experience may differ from what you may go through. I did email the admissions staff back and forth because they had to check if my degree (international) was awarded by an institution that they recognised.
Hope this helps. Best of luck!
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous #2
i am a mature student with a non-UK degree. i have recently applied and received an offer from Durham using my university grades. My a-level results do not meet my course's lowest requirements, but Durham was able to consider my undergraduate degree as my latest qualification and offered me admission.
Do write to their admissions office for confirmation before applying though. I called and emailed them a couple of times to clarify things before sending my application.
All the best!

Apologies for the late reply. For some reason I didn't receive a notification when you posted.

That's amazing and very encouraging, thank you! :biggrin:
How have you found the application process given your circumstances?
Hi! Languages grad here who is returning to study later this year (so I have a little experience of both elements). Definitely get in touch with the admissions team, they should be able to advise on what qualifications/experience you need to be considered. Go to an open day and chat with the department staff, they will be really well placed to talk to you about the level of ability you'll need to get on with the work (both from a linguistic and academic perspective - I remember studying a lot of literature when I did my first degree in both English and target language, so they may be able to advise on what range of modules they have and what level of proficiency you'll need etc).

Being a mature student in itself won't be a hindrance. If anything it adds perspective and passion! As long as you meet their criteria and submit a good personal statement, there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be accepted.

What languages are you looking to study?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending