The Student Room Group

How 'Competitive" is Graduate Entry Medicine?

I don't understand what makes GEM so much more competitive than regular undergraduate Medicine courses?

Also, I have just started sixth form and always wanted to become a doctor - had chosen to do the sciences, and then at the last minute changed my mind and switched to English and other humanities/essay-based subjects. It's also too late for me to switch A Levels - so that is out of the question.

If I was to consider GED, would a Bachelor of Science make a stronger application (e.g. Evolutionary Anthropology BSc at Uni of Liv) as opposed to a Bachelor of Arts (e.g. English at Uni of Liv).

Also, apart from volunteering and shadowing, what makes a stronger application?

Thank you.x
Reply 1
More applicants, fewer places.

Doesn't matter if you have a BSc or a BA, the courses that do care will be looking at the degree itself for relevant content etc.

You could start over with a different set of a levels, some medical schools would not count that as sitting a levels over 3 years. A100 is not only less competitive but a hell of a lot cheaper.
Original post by Zorg
More applicants, fewer places.

Doesn't matter if you have a BSc or a BA, the courses that do care will be looking at the degree itself for relevant content etc.

You could start over with a different set of a levels, some medical schools would not count that as sitting a levels over 3 years. A100 is not only less competitive but a hell of a lot cheaper.

So would they not consider a BA such as English - there is obviously no "relevant content" in that. So it would be best doing some like Evolutionary Anthropology BSc, right?

My sixth form only allow 2-3 weeks to make changes; so I'm stuck with what I have.

Thanks for your answer!
Original post by maggiedavies
So would they not consider a BA such as English - there is obviously no "relevant content" in that. So it would be best doing some like Evolutionary Anthropology BSc, right?

My sixth form only allow 2-3 weeks to make changes; so I'm stuck with what I have.

Thanks for your answer!

GEC courses don't all care what the degree is in (note Evolutionary Anthropology is just as irrelevant as english, they are talking more biomedical science)

however, here is the big BUT: GEC is not guaranteed to be around forever.
Less and less places are available and some uni's have stopped it altogether. If the GMC changes the rules on foundation training (this has been discussed a lot) then the course will possibly stop completely.

If you want to be a doctor: retake your A-levels in medicine appropriate subjects and start again. Better to waste 1 year now than potentially 5 years (A-level and degree) and find you are still unable to take medicine.
Original post by neuronerd
GEC courses don't all care what the degree is in (note Evolutionary Anthropology is just as irrelevant as english, they are talking more biomedical science)

however, here is the big BUT: GEC is not guaranteed to be around forever.
Less and less places are available and some uni's have stopped it altogether. If the GMC changes the rules on foundation training (this has been discussed a lot) then the course will possibly stop completely.

If you want to be a doctor: retake your A-levels in medicine appropriate subjects and start again. Better to waste 1 year now than potentially 5 years (A-level and degree) and find you are still unable to take medicine.

I see, thank you.
Original post by maggiedavies
I see, thank you.

I would suggest that you sit down and talk to an advisor at sixth form. Explain that you panicked and changed your A-levels but now you realise that it was a mistake and would prevent you from doing the degree you really want to do. You may even be able to leave college entirely this year (i.e. meaning you are on a gap year) and then go back next year, this would mean that as far as uni's are concerned you sat your A-levels in the normal 2 years (some uni's do not accept taking three years to take A-levels).

You are not the first to make this mistake and I'm sure not the last, hopefully your college can help and advise you on the best course of action.

Good luck

P.S. if you do take the rest of the year as a gap year spend it shadowing doctors, doing first aid, volunteering etc. then you can explain the year out as being a year to make sure that medicine was the correct choice when asked at interview and it would make you a much better applicant.
Reply 6
Original post by neuronerd
I would suggest that you sit down and talk to an advisor at sixth form. Explain that you panicked and changed your A-levels but now you realise that it was a mistake and would prevent you from doing the degree you really want to do. You may even be able to leave college entirely this year (i.e. meaning you are on a gap year) and then go back next year, this would mean that as far as uni's are concerned you sat your A-levels in the normal 2 years (some uni's do not accept taking three years to take A-levels).

You are not the first to make this mistake and I'm sure not the last, hopefully your college can help and advise you on the best course of action.

Good luck

P.S. if you do take the rest of the year as a gap year spend it shadowing doctors, doing first aid, volunteering etc. then you can explain the year out as being a year to make sure that medicine was the correct choice when asked at interview and it would make you a much better applicant.

Agree with all this advice, but do note that (at present) some GEM courses will only take graduates with a science degree (or a degree with a high enough science content, which tends to vary I think between institutions). Other courses don't care what your undergraduate degree is in, it's just the classification that matters. I'd say the split is maybe around 50/50 - it's true that doing a science degree gives your more choice.

It is true that the future of GEM is far from certain, especially several years down the line, so I wouldn't plan on it definitely being around (especially in 3-5 years' time).
Thanks guys! ^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending