The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I'm not sure about the years these came from, cos I've just been given photocopies, but these are all the ones I have:

Discuss the view that the causes of natural hazards owe more to human than to physical factors.

'The impact of hurricane and tropical storm hazards depends largely on a country's level of development.' Consider the accuracy of this statement.

'Earthquakes are inevitable, but the damage caused is not.' Discuss this view.

To what extent does the impact of natural hazards depend largely on their geographical location?

'Countries at most risk from disasters caused by natural hazards tend to be poor.' Discuss with reference to actual hazard events.

How important is an understanding of plate tectonics in any assessment of the risks posed by earthquakes?
Reply 2
thankyou! i just found a sheet this morning with zillions of questions on, and with yours as well it should keep me busy! i'm not looking forward ot this exam, the questions on yesterdays paper were weird and i wasn't quite sure what they were asking for. ah well. you taking this exam?
Reply 3
allisandro
thankyou! i just found a sheet this morning with zillions of questions on, and with yours as well it should keep me busy! i'm not looking forward ot this exam, the questions on yesterdays paper were weird and i wasn't quite sure what they were asking for. ah well. you taking this exam?

Which options are you doing? I've got natural hazards and the EU for synoptic and did glaciation and tourism yesterday, which I found fine, they asked exactly what I wanted them to! :smile:
Reply 4
i'm doing eu and hazards and did agriculture and coasts - the coasts were NOT the questions i wanted, agriculture was ok. did you do investigations too? i'm having problems getting down to revising geography today, i feel like it's over..how are you revising eu/hazards?
Am doing hazards and managing urban environments, am really hoping questions that I've practiced come up, as they all seem to be much of a muchness from previous papers, but knowing my luck something random will turn up and I won't have a clue how to answer it!!! :confused:
Reply 6
allisandro
i'm doing eu and hazards and did agriculture and coasts - the coasts were NOT the questions i wanted, agriculture was ok. did you do investigations too? i'm having problems getting down to revising geography today, i feel like it's over..how are you revising eu/hazards?

EU is quite easy, I'm going to focus on stats, facts and figures (size of budget, division of funds, CAP, CFP, and maybe some pollution stuff)

Hazards is a little more difficult, but I think that mostly case studies (LEDC vs MEDC) will do the trick.

Due to the structure of my exam timetable (both history modules on monday followed by one english on Tuesday :eek: :mad: ) I'm doing more work for them than geography, which is probably my least worry. Now watch me go and get a B :rolleyes:

I did the coursework module - I'm not sure if that's the investigations bit you talk about...
i did this exam in january and i think our question was something like this:

To what extent does the impact of natural hazards depend largely on their geographical location?

the tourism part was a bitch!! i would recommend you focus most of your revision on that section.. its easy to be fooled by the apparent simpleness ofthe questions.
Reply 8
i've learnt the CAP/CFP and done a bit about pollution, been focussing my revision around case studies of problem regions for core/periphery/declining regions. i'm just bored of hazards, we've done earthquakes so many times, hopefully i know hte case studies well enough! i'm hoping for an MEDC/LEDC comparison...but i shouldn't say things like that because i did before yday and none of what i wanted came up :smile:
Reply 9
Did Agriculture and Fluvial Environments on Tuesday, think it went ok. I did the same thing, revised a few topics in great detail hoping they'd come up, because they had frequently in the past. Then none of them came up, grrr.

I'm doing EU and Hazards on Friday. I'm really nervous about Hazards, cos our teacher was hopeless. He didn't cover earthquakes or volcanoes, or anything really. I've got General Studies exams tomorrow afternoon, which are a pointless distraction from revision, I'm a bit annoyed about it.
Reply 10
I am doing Hazards and Rural Areas tomorrow

Did revise last week but as yet done none this week due to 1st geog exam on tuesday and then an economics exam yesterday.

Find Rural Areas easier to blag, i would quite like national parks or rural service decline to come up

In hazards we have done earthquakes time and time again but not very confident about tropical storms and things so will definitely look at that a fair bit today :smile:
Reply 11
sock
I've got General Studies exams tomorrow afternoon, which are a pointless distraction from revision, I'm a bit annoyed about it.

yup, same! i'm annoyed because it's 3 hours of exams, plus i feel i should read through the text book a bit this morning, and also because i just couldn't get myself to do anything for geography yesterday and now i'm nervous! more about hazards i think, was going over case studies this morning, have your learnt many mass movements ones? how do you structure your essays? i find these 60 marks ones harder than the options paper.
Reply 12
When I have an exam I have to go in for the whole day because of how far I live away from school, so General Studies was a waste of 8 hours of revision time, yuck.

Mass movement? Crap, that's in it? We haven't done that since AS. All the hazards teacher has taught us is about tropical cyclones and tsunami. I'd probably better get off the computer and revise, lol. And there's football starting in less than an hour :frown:

How I structure my essays depends on the question. I have the usual intro and conclusion, then I tend to pick out key words from the question and do a chunk on each of the key issues. With discussion of the question shoved in at various points, lol.
Reply 13
i need an A in this paper

doing urban and hazards

whats the best way 2 learn this is 1 evening please??

i had loads of others and totaly 4got this :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending