The Student Room Group

Mental health nursing with a mental illness

Heyy,

I'm applying to do mental health nursing next year, which I'm really excited about!
I actually have a mental illness myself and do wonder how that will impact on me.
My cpn is totally supporting me which is great!
I'm just wondering how common it is for someone with a mental illness to do mh nursing xx
Reply 1
I think a lot of people who go into that profession have experience of mental health problems personally, or in someone they know. It makes them want to go on and help others. If your CPN is supportive then I assume they are not causing you massive problems day to day? I would say that to do mental health nursing you should be stable in your own mental health as it wouldn't be fair on you or your patients otherwise.

Good luck x
Original post by Swagio
Heyy,

I'm applying to do mental health nursing next year, which I'm really excited about!
I actually have a mental illness myself and do wonder how that will impact on me.
My cpn is totally supporting me which is great!
I'm just wondering how common it is for someone with a mental illness to do mh nursing xx

I m in my first year of mental health nursing and many people on the course have very personal motivations for doing the course either from their own experiences or from that of family, friends or relatives. From what I ve heard from colleagues as long as you are accepting any support offered to you and haven't relapsed in a while then universities appear to be happy. If you do have any questions you can always phone up the universities you want to apply to or their occupational health departments and they might be able to help:smile:
Reply 3
I think my biggest worry is that people will judge me and that I won't pass an occupational health.
I was put under an article 10 months ago, but I'm so much better now! I have my work occupational health (I work in a hospital) next week so I'm hoping if I pass that I'll be okay to pass one with the uni too?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Swagio
I think my biggest worry is that people will judge me and that I won't pass an occupational health.
I was put under an article 10 months ago, but I'm so much better now! I have my work occupational health (I work in a hospital) next week so I'm hoping if I pass that I'll be okay to pass one with the uni too?

As student nurses we're supposed to be incredibly non-judgemental people so if they did ever say anything they would get a serious talking to if not a fitness to practice hearing from it. I would think if your work passes you for a HCA job then you should pass occupational health for a nursing course:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending