The Student Room Group

How can I look after my mental health? - Time to Talk Day

1 in 4 of us will experience a mental health problem of some kind in any given year (Mind.org)

Today is Time to Talk Day, and is run by Mind and Rethink Mental Illness in England, in partnership with Co-op.

The day is all about creating supportive communities by having conversations with family, friends, or colleagues about mental health. We all have mental health and by talking about it we can support ourselves and others.

Here are some ways to look after your mental health:
- Try to relax and reduce stress by doing things you enjoy
- Connect with friends and family
- Learn new skills
- Look after your physical health
- Try to improve your sleep
- Reframe negative thoughts
- Do something for yourself every week
- Write a letter to future you

Do you want to make a difference?

Keep Talking Services is a charity that has been founded by a Mental Health Nursing graduate at CCCU. Keep Talking Services is a telephone befriending service that pairs students from across universities with individuals in the community suffering with loneliness and often poor ill mental health. Check out this video on our Instagram where Alex discusses Keep Talking Services in more detail: https://www.instagram.com/p/C1CjKGFMd_g/?hl=en

Current uni students: what do you do to look after your mental health?
As a medical student, here are my top tips to improve my mental health.

Daily reflection: I try to spend approximately 10 minutes reflecting about my day every evening. I find that it helps me debrief and plan my day tomorrow.

Exercise: exercise releases serotonin, also know as happy hormones, so I try my best to either go to the gym for a few hours, try to walk in the park, or even put on a song and dance around my flat.

Plan some time with friends: it can often get pretty stressful around exam time, so I try my best to calendar in some social breaks to see my friends. It can be as quick as grabbing coffee and getting back to study.

Talk to someone: I really feel like having someone you can confide in whether a friend, a tutor, a family member is really important as they can often help us see another point of view when things are looking gloomy. I am grateful that my university has a wellbeing service that allows us to have a completely confidential chat.

Health: Finally, your mental health affects your overall health and vice versa! It is important to ensure you are eating health and getting enough sleep as these are the pillars to healthy mind.

Best of luck,
Haya - MBBS V
Original post by UCLan Student
As a medical student, here are my top tips to improve my mental health.

Daily reflection: I try to spend approximately 10 minutes reflecting about my day every evening. I find that it helps me debrief and plan my day tomorrow.

Exercise: exercise releases serotonin, also know as happy hormones, so I try my best to either go to the gym for a few hours, try to walk in the park, or even put on a song and dance around my flat.

Plan some time with friends: it can often get pretty stressful around exam time, so I try my best to calendar in some social breaks to see my friends. It can be as quick as grabbing coffee and getting back to study.

Talk to someone: I really feel like having someone you can confide in whether a friend, a tutor, a family member is really important as they can often help us see another point of view when things are looking gloomy. I am grateful that my university has a wellbeing service that allows us to have a completely confidential chat.

Health: Finally, your mental health affects your overall health and vice versa! It is important to ensure you are eating health and getting enough sleep as these are the pillars to healthy mind.

Best of luck,
Haya - MBBS V

Hi Haya,

These are some great tips for looking after your metal health.

Thank you for sharing these with us :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending