The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by returnmigrant
Track is down while UCAS prepares for Extra opening, that's all.

Hey ya! I was trying to drop you a PM but I realised that you had chosen not to receive a PM or something like that. Are there other ways I can contact ya? I would like to seek your advice on some stuff! Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abi__lw
I just got an offer from King's with a rubbish LNAT of 20!! So those with low LNAT scores, have faith!! x

HOW? I got rejected with 23. Are you UK/EU?
Hey any idea which aspect of the application Durham places more emphasis on? ie. UCL and the LNAT essay, KCL and LNAT scores, etc.
Original post by anitatoz
Hey any idea which aspect of the application Durham places more emphasis on? ie. UCL and the LNAT essay, KCL and LNAT scores, etc.

Hello :smile: I received an offer from Durham with a score of 22 on my LNAT. My essay was not bad I think I did quite well. However, I saw many people on Facebook with scores of 19-26. I don't think Durham places so much emphasis on the exam as long as you haven't completely failed it. If your PS is good and your predicted grades prove that you will be a good student there, you will be ok. Also, if you have some experience or took part in any society at school, you stand a good chance.
Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone can give an opinion about Law in UofManchester ? reputation ? ranking ? compare to other university etc. personal knowledge ?
Thank you
(Original post by DougallnDougall)
UCAS track is down - again - till Monday! Jeez talk about poor timing.
is it necessary to keep checking UCAS track all the time? isn't it enough to just check your email if you did receive a UCAS track email that notify you that 'something has changed on your track'?

Yes it appears it is, if you are really anxious for news. Last time I got an offer it was listed in track 24hrs before I got an email from UCAS or from the university. I am usually checking once per day last thing in the evening just in case
Original post by crocface
(Original post by DougallnDougall)
UCAS track is down - again - till Monday! Jeez talk about poor timing.
is it necessary to keep checking UCAS track all the time? isn't it enough to just check your email if you did receive a UCAS track email that notify you that 'something has changed on your track'?

Yes it appears it is, if you are really anxious for news. Last time I got an offer it was listed in track 24hrs before I got an email from UCAS or from the university. I am usually checking once per day last thing in the evening just in case

I check it in the evening but wouldn't expect anything over the weekend. Admissions staff need their down time too! I've resigned myself to not hearing till end of March but I like to look just in case there's a nice surprise waiting for me 😜😂 I'm just waiting to hear from Edinburgh then got the very happy task of deciding which offers to choose. Would be very nice if it was five offers but I'm certainly not banking on it. Would be nice to have the uncertainty removed.
Original post by DougallnDougall
I check it in the evening but wouldn't expect anything over the weekend.

Admissions offices are not open at the weekend and therefore no decisions/offers etc are made then.

UCAS Track is closed this weekend to prepare for Extra.

Go and do some revision instead.
Admissions offices are not open at the weekend and therefore no decisions/offers etc are made then.

Of course I am only checking Monday to Friday evenings

Lol! You sound like my dad!!
Track is currently open & working despite what the notice last night said.
Reply 2751
Original post by tosinmurana
woooooo well done :smile: have you looked into accomodation yet?

Thank you! :smile: And yes I have, thinking of Northumberland house. What about you?
Does anyone have any advice on which to put as my insurance choice?

Offers received:
Oxford AAA (firm)
Bristol AAA-A*AB
Warwick AAA
LSE A*AA
Durham A*AA

LSE and Durham are both higher than the AAA I need for Oxford so I doubt I'll put either of those as my insurance. It's between Warwick and Bristol- I like the A*AB variation for Bristol as I think I can get at least one A*, but I wondered if Warwick would allow me to get AAB but still get in? Does anyone have any idea about how lenient Warwick can be? Thanks
Original post by wallflowerlwy
Congrats on your PPL offer!!
If you don't mind me asking, what's your predicted grades and LNAT score?:smile:

31 on LNAT & predicted A*A*A*
Original post by LoveToArgue

Offers received:
Oxford AAA (firm)
Bristol AAA-A*AB
Warwick AAA
LSE A*AA
Durham A*AA

LSE and Durham are both higher than the AAA I need for Oxford so I doubt I'll put either of those as my insurance. It's between Warwick and Bristol- I like the A*AB variation for Bristol as I think I can get at least one A*, but I wondered if Warwick would allow me to get AAB but still get in? Does anyone have any idea about how lenient Warwick can be? Thanks

Warwick was in clearing last year, that means for me they would be flexible by a least one grade for existing offer holders. Bristol is never in clearing so I think they don't need to be flexible
Original post by LoveToArgue

Offers received:
Oxford AAA (firm)
Bristol AAA-A*AB
Warwick AAA
LSE A*AA
Durham A*AA

Well done on your offers! That's excellent! I'd go for Bristol as location is better to and I think there law department is ever so slightly more reputable...

I think I have already asked you these 3 questions (as I appear to have done with everyone!), but...

1) What did you get at GCSE please?
2) How did you find the interview? Anything surprise you?
3) When did you start the 'learning' part for GCSEs? Any tips for (i)GCSE revision? (Particularly with French and how much I should be revising generally)

Congrats again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by oli19919
Well done on your offers! That's excellent! I'd go for Bristol as location is better to and I think there law department is ever so slightly more reputable...

I think I have already asked you these 3 questions (as I appear to have done with everyone!), but...

1) What did you get at GCSE please?
2) How did you find the interview? Anything surprise you?
3) When did you start the 'learning' part for GCSEs? Any tips for (i)GCSE revision? (Particularly with French and how much I should be revising generally)

Congrats again!

Posted from TSR Mobile

*too....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by crocface
Warwick was in clearing last year, that means for me they would be flexible by a least one grade for existing offer holders.

It doesn't mean that at all.

It means that they didn't have enough offer holders who met their required grades, didn't have enough 'near misses' they actually wanted and thought they could get better applicants (ie. with the required grades) in Clearing. So it actually means they were less flexible.

Bristol not being in Clearing last year will be a combination of their 'either or' grade requirements meaning they could confirm more people on Results Day, and/or possibly that they accepted high achieving 'near misses' to fill any spaces without the need to go into Clearing.

Btw - and this an important point - what happened in Clearing last year has no bearing at all on what might happen this year, because nobody, including the Unis, can ever predict how many applicants will achieve their offers.
It doesn't mean that at all.

It means that they didn't have enough offer holders who met their required grades, didn't have enough 'near misses' they actually wanted and thought they could get better applicants (ie. with the required grades) in Clearing. So it actually means they were less flexible.

Bristol not being in Clearing last year will be a combination of their 'either or' grade requirements meaning they could confirm more people on Results Day, and/or possibly that they accepted high achieving 'near misses' to fill any spaces without the need to go into Clearing.

Btw - and this an important point - what happened in Clearing last year has no bearing at all on what might happen this year, because nobody, including the Unis, can ever predict how many applicants will achieve their offers.

I don't agree with your clearing theory. I think it works like this:

The only reason unis are in clearing is to fill spaces, if they can, at their requested grades, if not at whatever grade they can get. If they had been sufficiently competetive they would already have enough people queuing up to join at higher than the requested grades and they would never need to be in clearing. At the top unis the offer will usually be met as they have given offers to people who are predicted well over the standard offer, so there will be little need to change on results day and basically they will never be in clearing. The unis in clearing are the unis that had high entry requirements but with not enough people applying with higher grades, usually the up and coming unis trying to up there game.

There are other unis that ask high grades to appear equal to the front runners but never go into clearing because they quietly accept lower grades as it would not be in their interests to be seen to be in clearing. Eventually there market value goes up and they can actually attract what they really wanted in the first place.

In short, if a uni is in clearing it is because it has not attracted enough high caliber people or it can't affort to pretend it has filled all it's places with high calibre people. It is usually pretty much representative of the real market value of the university. The top unis are on the whole not in clearing, unless there is a major upset like Oxbridge doubling the number of places.

As Warrick was the highest graded uni in clearing last year I maintain that it is more likely to be flexible on final grades than Bristol.
Reply 2759
Has anyone heard back from Edinburgh? apparently they take a long time deciding, but I actually got an offer after two months:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending