The Student Room Group

should Infant Circumssion be banned?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by footygirlx
I know someone who had to have it due to infections. It does look better but that was a joke.

And? The vast majority of baby boys don't have infections in that area. If they want to have it done later in life for medical or religious reasons, that's their choice.

This is one of those areas, such as marriage equality, where one side has absolutely no decent arguments for their view. 'It looks better.' Pah. Aesthetics are subjective -- should it be legal for me to mutilate your face in a way that pleases me aesthetically? :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
And? The vast majority of baby boys don't have infections in that area. If they want to have it done later in life for medical or religious reasons, that's their choice.

This is one of those areas, in addition to marriage equality, where one side has absolutely no decent arguments for their view. 'It looks better.' Pah. Aesthetics are subjective -- should it be legal for me to mutilate your face in a way that pleases me aesthetically? :tongue:

Thats completely different, what the hell does this have to do with gay marriage anyway.
Original post by Oscar.
If you're from the UK it's gonna be hard to find a guy that's circumcised

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unless they have Muslim or observant Jewish parents. Not too hard to find, I don't think.
Thats completely different, what the hell does this have to do with gay marriage anyway.

Nothing, other than being an issue where the weight of argument is so heavily to one side that the other side might as well pack up and go home rather than embarrass themselves while trying to engage in rational argument.

Why is it completely different? It's entirely analogous.
Original post by Zargabaath
So are beef flaps, should we cut them off too?
I usually save my roast beef trimmings to make sandwiches for lunch on Monday.
Reply 25
Original post by Hydeman
Unless they have Muslim or observant Jewish parents. Not too hard to find, I don't think.

Most people aren't circumcised in the uk

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by Oscar.
Well that would be against Judaism, I get that it's disgusting and unnecessary but it can't just be stopped like that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Banning FGM went against a strong cultural belief and they stopped it just like that, I see no difference!
Original post by Hydeman
Nothing, other than being an issue where the weight of argument is so heavily to one side that the other side might as well pack up and go home rather than embarrass themselves while trying to engage in rational argument.

Why is it completely different?

Thats your opinion, people have valid reasons against gay marriage, just because they dont fit your view doesnt mean they are wrong.
Original post by Oscar.
Most people aren't circumcised in the uk

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think there's any data on that but, yeah, that's more or less true. My point was that it's not that hard to find men who've had their genitals mutilated during childhood within certain communities, among them the Muslim and (observant) Jewish communities.
Reply 29
Thats your opinion, people have valid reasons against gay marriage, just because they dont fit your view doesnt mean they are wrong.

So what you're saying is hating people for something they were born with isn't wrong? Well I hate you because you've got a vagina, I'm completely justified

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
I usually save my roast beef trimmings to make sandwiches for lunch on Monday.

That did not put a nice mental image in my head
Original post by HanaGEM
Banning FGM went against a strong cultural belief and they stopped it just like that, I see no difference!

FGM violates stops a woman enjoying sex and has many health problems whereas circumcision doesnt.
Reply 32
Original post by Hydeman
I don't think there's any data on that but, yeah, that's more or less true. My point was that it's not that hard to find men who've had their genitals mutilated during childhood within certain communities, among them the Muslim and (observant) Jewish communities.

Oh right my bad aha

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, they don't.

You haven't answered my question: Why is it completely different if I suggest mutilating your face for my own aesthetic pleasure is comparable to mutilating somebody's genitals for my own aesthetic pleasure, in both instances without consent?
Original post by Oscar.
So what you're saying is hating people for something they were born with isn't wrong? Well I hate you because you've got a vagina, I'm completely justified

Posted from TSR Mobile

No being against gay marriage doesnt make you homophobic.
Reply 35
Original post by Hydeman

1 in 10 males had their genitals mutilated in 2013 and that number is thankfully decreasing every year
Reply 36
FGM violates stops a woman enjoying sex and has many health problems whereas circumcision doesnt.

Yes it does! It gets rid of the nerve endings in the tip of the penis

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hydeman

Apparently it's about 16% in people aged 16-44, and 4% in boys under 16.
Reply 38
Totally against this, as a very satisfied foreskin owner. Trouble is it is tantamount to asking some groupings to stop believing in God. Imagine and hope the time will come..
No being against gay marriage doesnt make you homophobic.

Yes it does. Now get back on topic, that was only a cursory comparison.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending