The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle University Ask a Current Student Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Olijm
Hey thank you for your reply!! And oh I see, and yes please but don't worry if they don't hold that info :smile:

And for the Partners it's both, so for all subjects and then mine specificallly. Oh that's filled me with confidence! How long does the summer school last?

Thank you so much for your time! :smile:

Hi :smile:

I heard back from the school and, as we suspected, they don't keep numbers for specific subjects. However, they did say that last year they made 35 offers to PARTNERS students and 17 of those students ended up enrolling on the course :smile:

The summer school lasts just under a week - the exact schedule depends on which strand you're taking. You'll be sent a timetable with a maximum of 15 hours of "contact time" (lectures, labs etc) and during the free time you can use the University's facilities like the computer clusters and the libraries.

After that you have to complete and submit an assignment - usually about a week after the summer school ends.

You might like to look at the 2015 Summer School Storify as well :biggrin:

Hope that helps!

Persephone
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 21
Hey, that's great! Thank you so much for your help!!!
Reply 22
Hi I have received an offer for Accounting and Finance and really wanted to know more about the first year. Would it be possible to have a copy of a typical first year students timetable please?
So excited to come to Newcastle hopefully!!
Original post by jemima..
Hi I have received an offer for Accounting and Finance and really wanted to know more about the first year. Would it be possible to have a copy of a typical first year students timetable please?
So excited to come to Newcastle hopefully!!

Hi Jemima,

The Business School have asked if you could e-mail the programme secretary directly :smile: Her e-mail is [email protected]

There's also a blog written by Business School students that you might find useful.

All the best,

Persephone
Reply 24
Hi, :smile:

I've received a conditional offer from Newcastle and I'm looking at the accomodation now. Liberty Plaza, Park Terrace and The View are looking good and I think I will choose them. But I want to ask about the social life and how are the things with parties? I don't want to be in a "party hall" as I'm not that party person. I prefer quiet place where I can read and relax when I want and if I want to go out clubbing then I will do it! :biggrin:

Reply 25
Original post by bobo873
if you don't want to be in a party hall then from what i've heard/seen, the places you have mentioned are ideal as they are nicely quiet. they've been built in a way that noise doesn't travel as much as in the other halls! victoria halls and turner court are also quiet but they're further away so depends whether you would mind being 20 minutes away from campus :smile:

Thank you for the response! :smile: I've heard that Victoria is preferred more than the other halls and the rooms get taken very fast haha :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by bobo873
oh really? that surprises me haha i haven't heard that before! i live nearish to victoria and i find walking to uni annoying especially as all my friends live just 5 minutes away from uni! especially if you're gonna be in the medical school which is further than main campus...i'd go for the ones closer to campus and if you really want an ensuite then put victoria down after :smile:

Nah, I won't be in the medical school. Probably I'm going to be in the main campus as I'm going to do the combined honors for languages :smile:
Hi I've applied to do Modern Languages and Business Studies at Newcastle, was just wondering how popular this course is, I have a conditional offer for ABB but i'm worried i'll slip a grade and won't be accepted :frown: Also I'm thinking of doing just the one language (Japanese) alongside business. I know i'd have 8 hours of Japanese per week but do you know how many I would have for business?
Original post by ILuvAipomZ
Hi I've applied to do Modern Languages and Business Studies at Newcastle, was just wondering how popular this course is, I have a conditional offer for ABB but i'm worried i'll slip a grade and won't be accepted :frown: Also I'm thinking of doing just the one language (Japanese) alongside business. I know i'd have 8 hours of Japanese per week but do you know how many I would have for business?

It is a very popular course, so if you drop a grade and therefore don't meet the conditions of your offer it's unlikely that you will still be offered a place. Sorry!

On the Modern Languages and Business Studies BA you spend two thirds of your time on languages and one third on business. If you go to the course details page on our online prospectus you can get a breakdown of each module and how many credits it's worth, contact hours, and how it's assessed etc.

Hope that helps :smile:

Persephone
Reply 29
Original post by Newcastle University

It is a very popular course, so if you drop a grade and therefore don't meet the conditions of your offer it's unlikely that you will still be offered a place. Sorry!

Hello Persephone,

I am in a similar situation but instead of A-Levels it is a BTEC course. I just wanted to know when meeting the required grades, it states "Applicants offering a BTEC National Diploma will be considered on an individual basis". I just wanted to know what factors are considered when reviewing the applicant? Also what is the current number of conditional and unconditional offers that the course has accepted?

Cheers,

Hideo
Original post by Hideo
Hello Persephone,

I am in a similar situation but instead of A-Levels it is a BTEC course. I just wanted to know when meeting the required grades, it states "Applicants offering a BTEC National Diploma will be considered on an individual basis". I just wanted to know what factors are considered when reviewing the applicant? Also what is the current number of conditional and unconditional offers that the course has accepted?

Cheers,

Hideo

Hi Hideo,

Is this for Modern Languages and Business Studies, or a different course?

Thanks,

Persephone
Reply 31
Hi Hideo,

Is this for Modern Languages and Business Studies, or a different course?

Thanks,

Persephone

Yes, the Modern Languages and Business Studies course.

Thanks,

Hideo
Original post by Hideo
Yes, the Modern Languages and Business Studies course.

Thanks,

Hideo

OK, great :smile:

For applicants with BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma the admissions team don't have a "standard" offer, so they look at various parts of your application to gauge if you're a suitable candidate.

They'll consider the subject you're studying at BTEC and how that relates to the course you've applied for, and for Modern Languages and Business Studies they'll also look for evidence of previous language learning and maths - these would need to be at least GCSE grade B (or equivalent). The offer made to Modern Languages and Business Studies is most commonly DDM.

This year 897 Conditional offers and 74 Unconditional offers have been made across all the Modern Languages courses :smile:

Hope that helps!

Persephone
(edited 8 years ago)
Hello Persephone,

I have got an offer to Newcastle in September this year and I have seen that Newcastle doesn't have a swimming pool at the university. I am a very active swimmer and I was just wondering where any swimming training takes place and whether students find it a hassle to have to go somewhere else to swim?

Thank you,

Charlotte
Reply 34
The offer made to Modern Languages and Business Studies is most commonly DDM.

Hello Persephone,

Thank you for the response. I have filled out for the expected criteria and I plan on acheiving a DDM by June. However if I would acheive a DMM which is a few points lower, will there still be a chance for an interview at the university, or will I only be able to re-apply the next semester?

Thanks,

Hideo
Original post by Charlotte0610
Hello Persephone,

I have got an offer to Newcastle in September this year and I have seen that Newcastle doesn't have a swimming pool at the university. I am a very active swimmer and I was just wondering where any swimming training takes place and whether students find it a hassle to have to go somewhere else to swim?

Thank you,

Charlotte

Hi Charlotte :smile:

Congrats on the offer!

I'm pretty much the most un-sporty person you could meet but I'll do my best to answer your questions. You're right, there isn't a swimming pool on campus at the moment and since the City Pool closed down a couple of years ago a lot of students have asked for the Uni to build one! I know that the Sports Centre plan to extend their buildings as part of the Richardson Road development but I'm not sure if a swimming pool is part of that plan.

I've contacted the Athletics Union Officer to see if he has any further info and I'll let you know what he says :smile: We have quite a few water-based sports clubs who might be able to give you a better idea of what's available and I'm sure they'd be happy to chat to you about their experiences. For example the Swimming Club use the swimming pool at the Royal Grammar School in Jesmond. (Jesmond is a very student-y area so it's probably even easier for the club members to get there than the Sports Centre!) They have an active Facebook page if you wanted to get in touch :smile:

Other clubs it might be worth asking are the Water Polo, Surf and Sub Aqua clubs :smile:

Hope that helps!

Persephone
Hi Charlotte :smile:

Congrats on the offer!

I'm pretty much the most un-sporty person you could meet but I'll do my best to answer your questions. You're right, there isn't a swimming pool on campus at the moment and since the City Pool closed down a couple of years ago a lot of students have asked for the Uni to build one! I know that the Sports Centre plan to extend their buildings as part of the Richardson Road development but I'm not sure if a swimming pool is part of that plan.

I've contacted the Athletics Union Officer to see if he has any further info and I'll let you know what he says :smile: We have quite a few water-based sports clubs who might be able to give you a better idea of what's available and I'm sure they'd be happy to chat to you about their experiences. For example the Swimming Club use the swimming pool at the Royal Grammar School in Jesmond. (Jesmond is a very student-y area so it's probably even easier for the club members to get there than the Sports Centre!) They have an active Facebook page if you wanted to get in touch :smile:

Other clubs it might be worth asking are the Water Polo, Surf and Sub Aqua clubs :smile:

Hope that helps!

Persephone

Thank you for the help xx
Hello,
When will the new accommodation brochure be released? :smile:
Original post by Tom5pence
Hello,
When will the new accommodation brochure be released? :smile:

Hi Tom,

We haven't been given a date yet, but the Accommodation Team are working on the new brochure and expect it to published this month :smile:

All the best

Persephone
Original post by Hideo
Hello Persephone,

Thank you for the response. I have filled out for the expected criteria and I plan on acheiving a DDM by June. However if I would acheive a DMM which is a few points lower, will there still be a chance for an interview at the university, or will I only be able to re-apply the next semester?

Thanks,

Hideo

Hi Hideo,

I passed your question on to the selector who said:

We would not accept with DMM. We don’t interview students for Modern Languages. If the student achieves DMM and reapplied the following year they would still not be accepted unless they can improve her grades to DDM.

Hope that helps :smile:

Persephone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending