The Student Room Group

Advice on dropping out and changing course

I would be really appreciative of any advice people could give me. I am currently at Bristol University studying law. I am really struggling to keep up with the reading and since i read so slowly, i have absolutely no time whatsoever for any form of social life. I am not understanding a lot of the course since i cannot do the required reading and having no time outside work is really effecting my mental health. I have arranged meetings with the disability office, GP and my personal tutor but keep on getting the advice just to stick with it and I will learn how to read better.
I have lots of friends at other universities who seem to be having an amazing time but I seem to be crying myself to sleep every night and know this isn't normal.
I have contemplated dropping out and reapplying to Cardiff University next year for politics and economics or economics and finance (at A level I studied maths, economics and politics). Would the workload of the above course lead to a better work-life balance or is it still likely to leave me locked away all the time? I know university is about getting a good degree and have good career prospects but if it is killing me inside then I don't really see the point in continuing.
I'm not a party animal but would like to have a few nights out a week which is impossible at the moment.
I am enjoying parts of the course but definitely less than 50% and I haven't found a single 2nd or 3rd year who have said they are enjoying the degree.
I also know that an economics degree from Cardiff doesn't have the same prestigiousness as a law degree from Bristol but given than I don't want to be a lawyer, does this really matter?
I would really appreciate any feedback, thanks
Reply 1
Hi Cath,

As a former Bristol University lawyer, with a disability, I can empathise.

IMHO if work/life balance is most important for you AND you don't want to be a lawyer, then perhaps pursuing an alternate course is the wise approach. However I believe it is prudent advice given to you by your tutor etc.

I suspect starting the course seemed like a whirlwind and you are struggling to catch your breath, as it were... trust me things will slow down, after you get into a routine. However I also believe it is smart to continue to seek the help of the disabilities office. They were invaluable for me, especially during exam time.

Also have you considered other courses at Bristol that may be similar to the ones you are vexing at Cardiff?

Good luck in whatever you choose... however think it through and make the choice based on a longterm goal, not on a short term feeling...

Original post by Cath.1996
I would be really appreciative of any advice people could give me. I am currently at Bristol University studying law. I am really struggling to keep up with the reading and since i read so slowly, i have absolutely no time whatsoever for any form of social life. I am not understanding a lot of the course since i cannot do the required reading and having no time outside work is really effecting my mental health. I have arranged meetings with the disability office, GP and my personal tutor but keep on getting the advice just to stick with it and I will learn how to read better.
I have lots of friends at other universities who seem to be having an amazing time but I seem to be crying myself to sleep every night and know this isn't normal.
I have contemplated dropping out and reapplying to Cardiff University next year for politics and economics or economics and finance (at A level I studied maths, economics and politics). Would the workload of the above course lead to a better work-life balance or is it still likely to leave me locked away all the time? I know university is about getting a good degree and have good career prospects but if it is killing me inside then I don't really see the point in continuing.
I'm not a party animal but would like to have a few nights out a week which is impossible at the moment.
I am enjoying parts of the course but definitely less than 50% and I haven't found a single 2nd or 3rd year who have said they are enjoying the degree.
I also know that an economics degree from Cardiff doesn't have the same prestigiousness as a law degree from Bristol but given than I don't want to be a lawyer, does this really matter?
I would really appreciate any feedback, thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending