The Student Room Group

Dropping out of sixth form

I’m year 12, so have been doing a levels for a few months now, I’ve swapped some courses around to try enjoy it more but for the last few weeks I haven’t enjoyed it at all, I don’t want to sit around and see if it gets better and waste time. since I enjoy my current part-time job, I feel it would be better to drop out and do an apprenticeship they offer instead of a levels that I have no plan to use, is it fine to drop out of sixth form and do an apprenticeship in mid November/ December
Original post by Hyp3en3rgy
I’m year 12, so have been doing a levels for a few months now, I’ve swapped some courses around to try enjoy it more but for the last few weeks I haven’t enjoyed it at all, I don’t want to sit around and see if it gets better and waste time. since I enjoy my current part-time job, I feel it would be better to drop out and do an apprenticeship they offer instead of a levels that I have no plan to use, is it fine to drop out of sixth form and do an apprenticeship in mid November/ December

Hi @Hyp3en3rgy

Usually if something doesn't feel quite right, it probably isn't. And if you're feeling like you're not enjoying your A Levels, there is no shame or anything negative about leaving sixth form.

You sound like you have some idea of what you would like to do instead - which is great! I would suggest talking to your head of sixth form or a teacher you trust to get their advice about possibly leaving, just to make your change as easy as possible for you.

An apprenticeship is another great option other than A Levels, so if you feel like that would best suit you, you should go for it!
Sometimes we start things and once we get going we realise they're not right for us. And that's okay.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to choose!
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
Reply 2
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @Hyp3en3rgy

Usually if something doesn't feel quite right, it probably isn't. And if you're feeling like you're not enjoying your A Levels, there is no shame or anything negative about leaving sixth form.

You sound like you have some idea of what you would like to do instead - which is great! I would suggest talking to your head of sixth form or a teacher you trust to get their advice about possibly leaving, just to make your change as easy as possible for you.

An apprenticeship is another great option other than A Levels, so if you feel like that would best suit you, you should go for it!
Sometimes we start things and once we get going we realise they're not right for us. And that's okay.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to choose!
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU

Thanks for the reply and advice, it was very helpful
I feel the school and my parents will be upset with my decision and urge me to stay in school which is very deterring to me, as I don’t know how to explain that I’m dropping out as I’m not enjoying it (it’s more then that, but that’s the best I can explain it)
To me it feels like it will become a long process of them deterring me from dropping out.
Original post by Hyp3en3rgy
Thanks for the reply and advice, it was very helpful
I feel the school and my parents will be upset with my decision and urge me to stay in school which is very deterring to me, as I don’t know how to explain that I’m dropping out as I’m not enjoying it (it’s more then that, but that’s the best I can explain it)
To me it feels like it will become a long process of them deterring me from dropping out.

No worries at all!

I can understand the concern from family and friends, as I'm sure you will too. But try to remember that these are your studies too, so your wellbeing is equally as important as their concerns.
Maybe it would help if you had your plans for where to go next? Maybe some apprenticeships you've seen or some jobs you're interested in, so your family can get a better understanding as to what you'd like to do instead.

I think the best thing to do is to talk to them. It might be a difficult conversation at first, but if you avoid it, you'll probably feel just as bad about it all. So try and have a chat about how you're feeling. And even if things are a bit out of place at first, I'm sure they will come around, as they'll want you to be happy.

Emily 🙂
Reply 4
Original post by BCU Student Rep
No worries at all!

I can understand the concern from family and friends, as I'm sure you will too. But try to remember that these are your studies too, so your wellbeing is equally as important as their concerns.
Maybe it would help if you had your plans for where to go next? Maybe some apprenticeships you've seen or some jobs you're interested in, so your family can get a better understanding as to what you'd like to do instead.

I think the best thing to do is to talk to them. It might be a difficult conversation at first, but if you avoid it, you'll probably feel just as bad about it all. So try and have a chat about how you're feeling. And even if things are a bit out of place at first, I'm sure they will come around, as they'll want you to be happy.

Emily 🙂

Thanks again
This is all great advice, I will definitely try drawing up or writing down a solid plan so that everything is clearer, aswell as making sure to talk to everyone about it, thanks a lot 🙏

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending