The Student Room Group

University of Bradford - Dyslexia Support

I am applying to Bradford University to study clinical sciences foundation year to go on to medicine at Leeds. I am also dyslexic and was wondering exactly how supportive is the University. If anyone has any first hand experience can they share please?
Original post by EscapeTheVoid
I am applying to Bradford University to study clinical sciences foundation year to go on to medicine at Leeds. I am also dyslexic and was wondering exactly how supportive is the University. If anyone has any first hand experience can they share please?

Hello,

I have just started the university of bradford this September. Basically when you arrive you go through a screening process which picks out that you may have it. Once this picks you may have dyslexia you then go see a disability advisor which she/he asks you various questions about the problems you face. Then you go to a educational psychologist in which she is the final say...yes you have it or no you do not. In the report that she produces she will outline the support you may need. I have just got mine back last week and I am going to get a note taker, study coach, extra time in exams etc. This process takes around 3 months as it is very time consuming.

Any more questions feel free to ask me. I am dyslexic and also studying at the university of bradford :smile:
I've already had all of this done at college. I've applied to study and am hoping to start in Sep 2016. I will get a needs assessment at a centre before I start. so that all of this will be in place before I start. how is the university in helping you with course work etc.? is it an active approach from the university? or do you have to seek it yourself? also what are you studying?
I've already had all of this done at college. I've applied to study and am hoping to start in Sep 2016. I will get a needs assessment at a centre before I start. so that all of this will be in place before I start. how is the university in helping you with course work etc.? is it an active approach from the university? or do you have to seek it yourself? also what are you studying?

I am studying ICT and in my first year. I cannot explain on how it is at the moment as I am getting my needs assessment Wednesday. However my friends have study coaches (that correct your grammar etc) note takers in lectures and maybe extra time.

What are you wanting to study?
clinical sciences foundation year to go on to medicine at Leeds
clinical sciences foundation year to go on to medicine at Leeds

You will be fine. The university offers loads of support on dyslexia.
Thanks for your help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending