The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Congrats on Cambridge, I think you are definitely right to take it.

We send off public exam results and there's also a bit at the top that says if you're house captain/'prefect'/various other odd roles we have, and then another bit for academic prizes you've won at the school.

I know we have a pretty strong relationship with Harvard, not sure about the other universities, but that probably helps as well. Have you got someone who deals with American universities? They'll probably know more.
OMG..u guys are goddamn smart...
most of u I've seen here are admitted to ivies....
woo....promising ppl..
Reply 22
Kenshi
In the U.S if you transfer to a school in the same state you got your 2 year degree from you are guaranteed admissions.

EDIT: Oh and I do believe California schools are even easier all need is some sort of gen ed cert that takes you a year to get for guaranteed admissions

In some state, if you go to a community college (or junior college, 2 year schools), you are guaranteed to get into some 4 year state college. While you can work on a 4 year degree after earning 2 year one in every state, the guaranteed thing is not in every state. You're also not guaranteed to get into UCLA or Berkeley.
Oh~I see..
Yea,one of my friends in US tried 2 talk me into this.He said getting in a community college for 2 years and then transfer 2 a 4-year univ saves money~!!!:rolleyes: I don't quite think so cuz he got a 'greencard while I don't...
Yup..UCLA and Berkerly are the most decent ones in UC..If I am not guaranteed 2 get in..why bother doing the community stuff...

Ooops!!!Forgot 2 say THANK U !!!!
colgate13
In some state, if you go to a community college (or junior college, 2 year schools), you are guaranteed to get into some 4 year state college. While you can work on a 4 year degree after earning 2 year one in every state, the guaranteed thing is not in every state. You're also not guaranteed to get into UCLA or Berkeley.

Hey...buddy..I noticed that u r in LAC..How is it??Do LAC do better in undergrad part?
BTW..R U British or American..?
Reply 25
The Ace is Back
Congrats on Cambridge, I think you are definitely right to take it.

We send off public exam results and there's also a bit at the top that says if you're house captain/'prefect'/various other odd roles we have, and then another bit for academic prizes you've won at the school.

I know we have a pretty strong relationship with Harvard, not sure about the other universities, but that probably helps as well. Have you got someone who deals with American universities? They'll probably know more.

we have our careers officer who has a lot of experience with the US, it just seems not a whole lot of sucess. Maybe I am making excuses, it just seems to me that a school that throws out about 10-15% of its year group in oxbridge should be able to manage more that one person a year into an ivy (i was the only one admitted to an ivy, one other chap got into Chicago)
Who knows what goes on in admissions.Anyway, hopefully I will do the one year exchange at MIT for my 3rd year at Cambridge, it'll give me the US experience then I'll see if i fancy doing post-grad there.

Congrats on Columbia again, it was always one of my top colleges. Apparently the accommodation is very good and they had the major I particularly wanted to do (alongside econ) in behavior and neuroscience. I'm pretty green as I sit here writing this actually...
colgate13

yeah, but afaik for UCLA and Berkeley, it makes it infinitely easier to get in (so said the transfer counsellor at one of the schools I attended), and you can start in the third year of four, which saves a lot of $$ because community college units are much cheaper. I finished community college for the most part while also in high school, and I found I learned way more than in my AP classes, and enjoyed the classes there much more.

The one I attend had a transfer agreement with pretty much every other UC, especially UCSD.

Congrats on the admissions all!!:biggrin: And good luck everyone else!!:smile:

edit: Oh, and transferring is much easier; I have some friends who plan on re-applying to UCSD and others during their freshman and sophomore years, once they have worked on their grades, lol
Louise_1988

Who knows what goes on in admissions.Anyway, hopefully I will do the one year exchange at MIT for my 3rd year at Cambridge, it'll give me the US experience then I'll see if i fancy doing post-grad there.

Do u guys think postgrad is important?I dont know how american and british think about it,but it's like kinda "compulsory" in China...:frown:
megx
yeah, but afaik for UCLA and Berkeley, it makes it infinitely easier to get in (so said the transfer counsellor at one of the schools I attended), and you can start in the third year of four, which saves a lot of $$ because community college units are much cheaper. I finished community college for the most part while also in high school, and I found I learned way more than in my AP classes, and enjoyed the classes there much more.

The one I attend had a transfer agreement with pretty much every other UC, especially UCSD.

Congrats on the admissions all!!:biggrin: And good luck everyone else!!:smile:

edit: Oh, and transferring is much easier; I have some friends who plan on re-applying to UCSD and others during their freshman and sophomore years, once they have worked on their grades, lol

Thanks~!
Haha..seems community college's not bad~~but as I said,I dont know if it will be kinda different to international students..~~~
The agreement is so great~!!!!as it does save money.....How I wish I have a greencard or something else that save me some $$$$$$$$.....:biggrin:
Do you guys know how practical it is to transfer from an UK university to USA university? I am in my second semester of Year 1 but I have not done any SATs. I am also perplexed by the credit system in US compared to UK. How do I logically proceed at this stage?
Cheers.
I think you should check out the university websites...It will have info for international applicants...but I think SAT is recommended...
Louise_1988
we have our careers officer who has a lot of experience with the US, it just seems not a whole lot of sucess. Maybe I am making excuses, it just seems to me that a school that throws out about 10-15% of its year group in oxbridge should be able to manage more that one person a year into an ivy (i was the only one admitted to an ivy, one other chap got into Chicago)

They look for different things. Most British applicants can't compete with American applicants when it comes to the non-academic parts of the application.
Reply 32
shady lane
They look for different things. Most British applicants can't compete with American applicants when it comes to the non-academic parts of the application.

oh, i'm fully aware that they look for different things, i've only been 'doing' the US application system for the last 18 months...
My point was, that there is a certain 'nack' that schools develop for sucess in certain systems. My school, for example, does a good job at getting pupil X into Cambridge, through a process of 'nurture' in their last two years, alongside having a favourable reputation with the universities.
If you look at certain schools in England, which don't have vastly greater exam results or UK uni sucess, they do far better than my own at getting their pupils into US unis. It is possible their pupils are simply better, but given the huge difference in their application sucess it seems a little bit unlikely. More plausible is that they have a better idea what the colleges want in their references/extra-curriculars or just have a better relationship with the college. I guess in that way their pupils are stronger, but stronger because of the school's guidance.
I think the fact that Uk students 'can't compete' with non-academic parts of the application is not all that significant because the universities frequently refer to the fact that they are looking for sucess within the bounds of what the students are offered in their countries. They are well aware that we have hardly any academic state or national competitions and such 'research opportunities' are very limited for those without very good connections.
All in all though, I'm not that disappointed now. I'm still going to a very good university, even if it's not in the US, and hopefully at the end it'll land me a decent job that will pay me enough to be able to pack it all in before i'm 30 so i can spend the rest of my life bumming around ski resorts...
Louise_1988

I think the fact that Uk students 'can't compete' with non-academic parts of the application is not all that significant because the universities frequently refer to the fact that they are looking for sucess within the bounds of what the students are offered in their countries. They are well aware that we have hardly any academic state or national competitions and such 'research opportunities' are very limited for those without very good connections.

Yeah, but to be honest, I'd take that with a grain of salt. They may say that they will consider these differences. But unlike in the UK, US universities get no financial gain from taking an international student over a domestic one. And because there are so many more applicants to most US universities, they can probably find 100 American students who have perfect grades and bursting CVs for every British student with AAA and not much else.
Reply 34
Lareina&#23706
Hey...buddy..I noticed that u r in LAC..How is it??Do LAC do better in undergrad part?
BTW..R U British or American..?

I'm an American. I post on this board since I'm spending the fall in Edinburgh.

I go Colgate, one of the top dozen or so LAC. I really like it here and prefer this system over large universities. The goal of a LAC is for you to learn how to think and not just to learn a bunch of random fact over 4 year. A liberal arts grad is "trained" in such a manner that he should be able to do any job after school. Most of the classes are very discussion based. I believe this system is quite different from how things are done in most places in Europe. If you want me to clarify anything, let me know.

About the CC route. I think they may be viewed differently in CA, but on the east coast, the top students would never think of going to one. Yes they save money, but if you're able to get into a top school, you're better off going there for four years.

EDIT: Yes, I think they do undergrad better in general. Maybe if you were doing some weird form of science, your school may not have the facilities and you would be better off going somewhere else.
Reply 35
shady lane
Yeah, but to be honest, I'd take that with a grain of salt. They may say that they will consider these differences. But unlike in the UK, US universities get no financial gain from taking an international student over a domestic one. And because there are so many more applicants to most US universities, they can probably find 100 American students who have perfect grades and bursting CVs for every British student with AAA and not much else.

well yer, i know they do put a lot of waffle on the websites...

it is interesting to note though, that the admit rate to harvard from UK students in pretty much identical to the applicant pool as a whole, so they must see some value in taking students from over here.
I do have to say that my friend picked her junior year classes at Mount Holyoke today (small, all girls college), and then I had her look at the ones I was considering, and she goes, "WOAH, so many options!!" LAC v huge public school, though I'm actually regretting not applying to Reed, if they would have taken some of my credit.

And yeah, CC (I saw that and thought "College Confidential" lol) is still viewed as a last resort. I'm actually glad I ended up staying in high school full time; I finished my requirements quicker and will end up with more credit. As well as for the social side :p:
colgate13
I'm an American. I post on this board since I'm spending the fall in Edinburgh.

I go Colgate, one of the top dozen or so LAC. I really like it here and prefer this system over large universities. The goal of a LAC is for you to learn how to think and not just to learn a bunch of random fact over 4 year. A liberal arts grad is "trained" in such a manner that he should be able to do any job after school. Most of the classes are very discussion based. I believe this system is quite different from how things are done in most places in Europe. If you want me to clarify anything, let me know.

EDIT: Yes, I think they do undergrad better in general. Maybe if you were doing some weird form of science, your school may not have the facilities and you would be better off going somewhere else.

Thanks for the information...Wooo...Yay...I searched on US News and World Report...Colgate seems quite decent from there....!!
I dont know LAC very well so I didnt apply for any ....REGRETTING NOW!:mad:
.....Is the system in LAC the same with the Univs?I mean..2years with general courses and 2years on you major?
Are LACs more expensive than Univs??cuz I heard that they are more expensive but they are more generous to offer u aids...is it??:s-smilie:

BTW..r u on exchange in Edinburg..??program in LAC as well??.....

Bunches of queries...:cool:
Reply 38
Lareina&#23706
Thanks for the information...Wooo...Yay...I searched on US News and World Report...Colgate seems quite decent from there....!!
I dont know LAC very well so I didnt apply for any ....REGRETTING NOW!:mad:
.....Is the system in LAC the same with the Univs?I mean..2years with general courses and 2years on you major?
Are LACs more expensive than Univs??cuz I heard that they are more expensive but they are more generous to offer u aids...is it??:s-smilie:

BTW..r u on exchange in Edinburgh..??program in LAC as well??.....

Bunches of queries...:cool:

Kind of, Colgate has 4 "core" classes that everyone has to take. 2 of those everyone take the same class, the other 2 you have options. We also have some minor distribution requirements. Most people finish these in the first two years.

On the other hand, I've been taking 1 class for my major every semester. The last 2 years are no way only focusing solely on my major. I'm only taking 2 classes in my major one semester. The other seven semesters I only take one. The rest of the classes I'm taking are for my minor or whatever else interests me. This allows you to study a language or expand your base of knowledge. I think people in big university are more focused in their last two years.

LAC are more expensive than state schools (even if you are out of state, or country). They are about the same as some private university, like Harvard, Chicago, etc. Aid depends on the schools you are comparing. For example, Harvard would give you better aid than Colgate, but Colgate gives more than Penn State. I'm happy with my financial aid here.

Colgate and alot of other LAC have their own study aboard programs, but I'm not participating in them. I decided I wanted to do my own thing.
Right...Got the idea...Thanks buddy~!!

Latest

Trending

Trending