The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
And just to make it a bit harder for you (sorry:redface:) the Biosciences building is being refurbished (gah, the constructors have been outside the building for what seems like ages!). Apparently therell be a spiffin' new lecture theatre for the measly medics in 2009 (I think? Hmm Im not sure now. Well, there will be a new lecture theatre soon!) And we're in the biosciences building for the first 2 years only, anyway. Then we go to Heath hospital for the third year on.

Saying that, the impression that I got from your post was that you like Birmingham the best (I could be entirely wrong though!). Go for wherever you liked the feel of best.
Reply 21
Saffie
But I know that there are quite a few people on my course who don't want to hang out with me because I'm white.
Be fair, some of them don't mind that you're white, they mind that you're an infidel whore. :wink:

Saffie
A Bsc and BMedSci aren't the same so it stands to reason that they don't have the same names...

Also I doubt coming out of medical school with a BMedSci and MBBS is better than just having an MBBS... seeing as getting that BMedSci probably didn't require any or much extra work.nope it's not the same. That's like saying... "oh, they've been at uni for three years, lets just give them a degree for that as well as the one they're meant to be working towards anyway".
Obviously its just so they can attract future applicants, seems to work too.
Now although I'm not going to comment on the Oxbridge positon. I disagree slightly.

A iBSc and an a iBMedSci are seen as essentially the same 'grade', although, some are academically harder than others.

Having a degree is seen as slightly 'better', it's another feather in your cap. Having said this, it's impact at F1, F2 and consultant application is absolutely minimal although this is subject to change. The main benefit of doing an intercalated degree is, TTBOMK, getting published - which is actually quite a lot of work.
Reply 22
From your original post i got the impression that all things being equal you like the idea of Nottingham probably with birmingham as a second choice. If this isn't the case I am sorry. If it is then I would say you need to seriously consider what the chances of you getting an A in biology are if you think that it is unlikely then don't go for nottingham. However if nottingham is where you really want to go there is no harm in your putting Notts as your firm choice and then Brum as your insurance so if you miss the A in biology you still have a med school that you like to fall back on.
Reply 23
Renal
Be fair, some of them don't mind that you're white, they mind that you're an infidel whore. :wink:white, infidel whore... same difference!!:biggrin:
Reply 24
You could be a brown infidel whore, that's almost as bad.
Reply 25
Hey everyone, just wanted to say thanks very much for all your replies. I've had a bit of a think and I've pretty much decided on B'ham as my firm, since i really like the new med school bit, it's got a nice multi-cultural mix and the offer is manageable, i'm not very confident of getting the A in bio required for Nottingham so its best to play it safe. I went up there again yesterday on the accomodation viewing day and had a quick look around the med skool again, looks well nice, so yeh pretty much decided now. Going to put Sheffield as the insurance since it's the easiest offer, and it seemed pretty nice wen i went up to have another look over the easter hols (they have some pretty cool fountains and stuff in the city centre! :p:)

Thanks again for all your help :smile: Now just have to get started on revision (..he says, probably won't start for another month heh :rolleyes:)
Glad you made your decision. :biggrin:. Now just do well in the exams, with the motivation of going to med school though, it shouldn't be too hard. :smile:
Good luck.

Latest

Trending

Trending