The Student Room Group

How to choose a university?

I’m about to start the whole application to uni process but I have no idea where to start. How do I go about narrowing down the options of where to study? And what’s the most important factor in the decision? Location, money, course content, etc. And where do I find the information I need? This feels like such a huge and impossible decision
Reply 1
Original post by Teribblestudent
I’m about to start the whole application to uni process but I have no idea where to start. How do I go about narrowing down the options of where to study? And what’s the most important factor in the decision? Location, money, course content, etc. And where do I find the information I need? This feels like such a huge and impossible decision

Start by looking on the university’s own website. Take note of the course itself; how is it taught, what does it cover ect. Then compare the universitys themselves; are they campus based or city based? Attend open days and visit the city/town so that you can get a feel of the place itself! When you’re there, you could ask students about their opinions and see what they have to say. All in all, it may seem daunting, but if you give yourself enough time, you’ll make the best decision for yourself! Good luck!
Original post by XHannahR
Start by looking on the university’s own website. Take note of the course itself; how is it taught, what does it cover ect. Then compare the universitys themselves; are they campus based or city based? Attend open days and visit the city/town so that you can get a feel of the place itself! When you’re there, you could ask students about their opinions and see what they have to say. All in all, it may seem daunting, but if you give yourself enough time, you’ll make the best decision for yourself! Good luck!

Thanks for the advice

Hey @Teribblestudent :smile:

Starting the process can feel overwhelming, so I thought I'd just share some advice and tips. Do you have a particular course in mind, have you thought about the subjects you're passionate about, your long term career goals etc? Have a look into the course modules on different uni websites, do you prefer more hands-on learning, research-based programmes for example, do you prefer smaller classes or larger lecture style classes? It's a good idea to look into what the university offers for students in terms of support, facilities, libraries, labs, and the location of the university so you can get a feel for what the student life will be like in the area.

My biggest recommendation is to book onto open days so you can get a feel for the campus, speak to current students about their experience of the course and about them generally being a student there, and speak to the academics who'd be teaching you. You can attend course talks, go on tours of campus and the accommodation, you could make a day of it and explore the city/town after etc.

Create a list of the uni's you're interested in applying to, visit them and see if you feel comfortable and happy being there, and once you've narrowed down your options then comes the application process. Ultimately, the most important factor in your decision all depends on your personal priorities, it might be course content, future career prospects, location etc etc, so I'd say choose somewhere that ticks the majority of these, you want to be in a place where you can truly thrive and feel happy.

If you need help during the process reach out to teachers, career counsellors, reach out to academics at the university if you want to ask questions about the course. Take your time and trust yourself that you'll make the right decision for you. Good luck! :smile:

Becky

It can be daunting thinking of everything which needs to be done but the first step is just thinking about what you would like to study, or even a rough idea!

Have you got any thoughts about this yet?

Breaking it all down into little steps makes it so much easier, and in reality it's not as confusing as it may seem at the moment :smile:

Worth checking out this thread for some useful videos as well! :smile:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7358268

Hiya,

We completely understand that deciding where to go to university and deciding which course can be overwhelming but it is also such an exciting time!

As already mentioned, a good first step is to browse the university’s website. Get a feel for their identity, browse their courses, find out where they are based. From there, if you feel you want to find out more info, you can:

Visit their Open Days
Join a Taster Day
Read online reviews
Talk to their students!

Some good questions to think about when deciding which course you’d like to study
Which course content might appeal to you more?
What facilities are on offer as part of the course?
What assignments might you be undertaking?
What’s the structure of the course like?

And some questions to think about the university as a whole
Where is it located? Do you like the city?
What’s the accommodation like, on-campus and off-campus?
Are there other student support services, like Money Advice, or Counselling and Wellbeing?
What’s their Students’ Union like?

We hope this helps and you enjoy the experience!

Jemma

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending