The Student Room Group

Masters degree at friends university

Hi, I just wanted to get some opinions on something I’ve been thinking about for a while! I am currently an undergraduate and thinking of doing my masters next year. The course I’m wanting to do looks really good in a city where 2 of my friends are and looks good in other places too but mainly where they are.

I know it shouldn’t matter too much but I’m a bit worried to tell them that I’m thinking of going to their university for my masters as they will still be there and I don’t want to invade on the lives they’ve made there. I think I’m maybe overthinking it but I somehow feel a bit invasive going where they are or if they think I’m going just to be closer to them? I am very close with them and they’re lovely but I can’t help feeling that it’ll be strange for them or if I butt in to their social lives or if it could ruin my friendship with them? I’m not sure what I’m thinking really but wanted to get any perspectives or experience of this from either side?? Thank you!! :-)
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I just wanted to get some opinions on something I’ve been thinking about for a while! I am currently an undergraduate and thinking of doing my masters next year. The course I’m wanting to do looks really good in a city where 2 of my friends are and looks good in other places too but mainly where they are.

I know it shouldn’t matter too much but I’m a bit worried to tell them that I’m thinking of going to their university for my masters as they will still be there and I don’t want to invade on the lives they’ve made there. I think I’m maybe overthinking it but I somehow feel a bit invasive going where they are or if they think I’m going just to be closer to them? I am very close with them and they’re lovely but I can’t help feeling that it’ll be strange for them or if I butt in to their social lives or if it could ruin my friendship with them? I’m not sure what I’m thinking really but wanted to get any perspectives or experience of this from either side?? Thank you!! :-)

Hi there!

I think you're overthinking this just a little bit - but that's okay! You're only trying to consider your friends' feelings, but remember to consider yours too!

My best advice would be to tell your friends how you're feeling. You don't need their permission to go to the same uni as them, but I think you would feel better if you told them that you're a bit worried about how they might feel about it, and that you'd like to hear their thoughts. As your friends, I'm sure they'd love to have you there with them. But equally, just because you go to the same university, doesn't mean you have to spend every waking moment together. I'm sure you will make other friends from your course too.

I would be feeling similar to you if I was in your situation as I'm a bit of an overthinker too. But if you feel like the university is right for you, then go for it! And your friends will be supportive no matter what you decide.

I hope this helps and best of luck!
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
Reply 2
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi there!

I think you're overthinking this just a little bit - but that's okay! You're only trying to consider your friends' feelings, but remember to consider yours too!

My best advice would be to tell your friends how you're feeling. You don't need their permission to go to the same uni as them, but I think you would feel better if you told them that you're a bit worried about how they might feel about it, and that you'd like to hear their thoughts. As your friends, I'm sure they'd love to have you there with them. But equally, just because you go to the same university, doesn't mean you have to spend every waking moment together. I'm sure you will make other friends from your course too.

I would be feeling similar to you if I was in your situation as I'm a bit of an overthinker too. But if you feel like the university is right for you, then go for it! And your friends will be supportive no matter what you decide.

I hope this helps and best of luck!
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU

Hi Emily,

I hope you are well! Thank you so much for your message I really appreciate your help. It’s reassuring to hear this from someone as it’s definitely something I’ve been overthinking a lot haha.

I decided to take your advice and mention it to my friends and they seemed positive about it! You’re definitely right that it won’t have to be constant seeing eachother and that you don’t have to feel bad about it when you can make decisions for yourself too :smile:

I really appreciate your support and hope other people can feel the same too!

Thank you so much!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending