The Student Room Group

Muslim girls of TSR

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ineedtorevise127
Sorry but if you have a heart condition you go see a cardiologist not an engineer. Similarly if you have a problem with your car you will go see a mechanic not a doctor. Why am i saying this? Because you quote random people who have little Islamic knowledge have they studied islam everyday 24/7 of their lives like the scholars of the past, companions, wives of Prophets etc... Of course not. So trying to say this guy or girl is a credible source does not help your claim.

Fair enough that's your opinion on the matter. You still haven't answered any of the questions in the OP
Original post by momo231
Of what I have written you choose to focus on the part that doesn't contribute to the original point discussed in this thread; if you notice, I originally stated that I have never read an explicit statement in the Quran requiring a head covering, so you comparing it to one of the 5 pillars was pointless to begin with.

Fair enough I would say consult a very knowledgeable person in deen and ask him or her
Original post by z33
Fair enough that's your opinion on the matter. You still haven't answered any of the questions in the OP

It is not an opinion it is common sense. If you have a heart problem and you tell a mechanic advice rather than a doctor then you are not a very wise person knowing that the doctor can save your life. In Islam we believe Prophets were most knowledgeable, after others such as companions, wives, scholars etc... Many lived at his time of course they would know what opinion was on certain matters. Surely if you are a believer in Islam you believe Allah and his commands. Allah says to obey him you need to follow Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) in Quran. Hadiths have shown Prophet Muhammad wife covering in terms of hijab, scholars have mentioned in, it is in Quran when you read context. That does answer the question. It is an obligation whether you choose to follow or not that is your problem. I would advice to consult a top person in deen who has knowledge

Asalamalikum
Reply 23
I suppose the scarf makes a girl feel protected.
Initially the meaning of the scarf is to hide your beauty- as its only supposed to be for your husband.
For example if you had a diamond you would not display it in open air, so that it attracts the attention of everyone, but instead you keep it concealed. In the same way a woman wearing a scarf is keeping her beauty hidden, so that she can stay protected from evil eyes.
Original post by NimK1
I suppose the scarf makes a girl feel protected.
Initially the meaning of the scarf is to hide your beauty- as its only supposed to be for your husband.
For example if you had a diamond you would not display it in open air, so that it attracts the attention of everyone, but instead you keep it concealed. In the same way a woman wearing a scarf is keeping her beauty hidden, so that she can stay protected from evil eyes.

Agree but I would also add hijab needs to also be maintained for men. Men need to be dressed in their hijab. Also women need to ensure that hijab is done properly e.g. no make up and make it plain so it does not attract
Honestly, I wear the headscarf and I have done for 7 years, from a young age I wore abaya too. I started wearing it completely out of my own choice, my mum told me not to wear it because it was too early. However, I wore it because I felt closer to God, and I wanted to make the next step to become "pious".

As time has gone on, I've lost that initial faith that inspired me to wear it, and I've even begun to question Islam as a whole. I still wear the headscarf, but now, it's not because I want to be a good Muslim, but because I if I stop wearing it, my mum will never be able to cope with it, and I would feel guilty forever. It's sad. I feel like I'm tarnishing the true nature the hijab is supposed to be by wearing it still.

I understand the "modesty" debate that people have, but if I'm being truthful, unless people decide to look at you, their gaze cannot reach you, and you're not purposely trying to attract any form of attention. I just find this whole thing to be farcical, because if we think about it, everything can attract someone's gaze. A woman in full jilbab might walk down the street, and get looked over up and down. Does this mean she's being immodest?
wearing a hijab is less misogynistic than being paraded around in a bikini
Original post by KingBradly
Given the fact that veiling one's head isn't required by the Qu'ran, the idea it's about Islam rather than age old tradition seems flimsy.

Original post by momo231
Muslim girl here and I don't wear the hijab.
I've wondered this too, since it doesn't say cover your head in the Quran; I personally view it as a cultural thing, rather than religious.
I also never really understood the modesty value of it when I saw a majority of hijab wearing girls attract attention through their make up and clothes.
It's a bit pointless imo.

Wearing the hijab is OBLIGATORY in Islam.
In the Qur’an, the direct commandment for women who've hit puberty is to cover their hair and neck is in Surat An-Noor, ayah 31.
“And tell the believing women to reduce [some] of their vision and guard their private parts and not expose their adornment except that which [necessarily] appears thereof and to wrap [a portion of] their khumur over their juyub and not expose their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, […] (Qur’an 24:31)

The ruling for covering the hair is evidenced by “and to strike their khumur over their juyub.” In Arabic, the word khumur is the plural of khimar, which is a cloth that is draped over the top of the head and hangs downward. This definition is unanimously agreed upon by all of the scholars. Juyub is the plural for jayb which is the opening in the front of the dress that allows the head to fit through. The key is to note that the women at the time of jahiliya (pre-Islamic times) were already covering their hair, as was customary throughout history in various cultures and religions .

Original post by z33
X

so ... to answer your question. I wear the hijab because it's mentioned in the Quran. I've been wearing the hijab since I was around 5, :mmm: and NO I WASN'T forced to. In fact my parents would tell me at times that I don't need to wear one until I've reached a certain age, but I've always LOVED :love: wearing one.
Original post by think&question
There is a general distortion and misrepresentation of what Hijab means. In fact it DOES NOT MEAN HEAD COVER which is what we are being led to be believe it means.

Dress code for women is "modest dress and dress so that you will not attract attention.This applies to both men and women.
Part of the hijab requirement is for men to lower their gaze...if they comply with this most will not be able to see whether a woman's head is covered or not!!!!!!
A discussion with an Imam raised the following question...Are you complying with the Islamic Code of "dress so that you will not attract attention isf your dress is attracting racial abuse and racist attacks? He question whether a woman wearing full "burqa" was in hijab at all, if her burqa was being set on fire. Her dress was surely attracting attention and was provocative!!!!

What is the "lower the gaze" thing? I keep seeing Muslims on here say it, and I've heard it in real life but thought it was some code. :confused:
Original post by YaYazooGirl
Honestly, I wear the headscarf and I have done for 7 years, from a young age I wore abaya too. I started wearing it completely out of my own choice, my mum told me not to wear it because it was too early. However, I wore it because I felt closer to God, and I wanted to make the next step to become "pious".

As time has gone on, I've lost that initial faith that inspired me to wear it, and I've even begun to question Islam as a whole. I still wear the headscarf, but now, it's not because I want to be a good Muslim, but because I if I stop wearing it, my mum will never be able to cope with it, and I would feel guilty forever. It's sad. I feel like I'm tarnishing the true nature the hijab is supposed to be by wearing it still.

I understand the "modesty" debate that people have, but if I'm being truthful, unless people decide to look at you, their gaze cannot reach you, and you're not purposely trying to attract any form of attention. I just find this whole thing to be farcical, because if we think about it, everything can attract someone's gaze. A woman in full jilbab might walk down the street, and get looked over up and down. Does this mean she's being immodest?

What is this gaze? I asked someone else but your comment is more recent so I ask you. Is it a metaphor?
Original post by RoanneJones
wearing a hijab is less misogynistic than being paraded around in a bikini

In what way
Original post by Maggie_O
What is this gaze? I asked someone else but your comment is more recent so I ask you. Is it a metaphor?

It's a quote from Chapter 24 in the Quran, 'Al-Noor', meaning 'The Light', and verse 30: “Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things)"

The meaning of this is debated by scholars worldwide (who, might I add, are much more qualified to answer this than I am :tongue:) who state that it's referring to not looking at people's beauty (usually women??) and resisting temptation in the form of objects of desire. (Again, I am not saying that my explanation is the 100% accurate one, there are of course better ways of explaining this :redface: )

Hope that helped
x
Original post by YaYazooGirl
It's a quote from Chapter 24 in the Quran, 'Al-Noor', meaning 'The Light', and verse 30: “Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things)"

The meaning of this is debated by scholars worldwide (who, might I add, are much more qualified to answer this than I am :tongue:) who state that it's referring to not looking at people's beauty (usually women??) and resisting temptation in the form of objects of desire. (Again, I am not saying that my explanation is the 100% accurate one, there are of course better ways of explaining this :redface: )

Hope that helped
x

Oh so it's a metaphor. Everytime I think of "lower your gaze," I think of literally lowering the eyes, which would sort of defeat the purpose :wink: But I get it now is a metaphor for resisting temptation? Thanks.
Original post by EastGuava
Did your parents have ANY input in this 'spiritual journey'?

Well my parents did influence me of course. But they never enforced it upon me. Just supported and encouraged me. It's my own doing.
Hijab is fardh for both men and women.

I'm sorry, but since when do men wear the hijab? :curious:
Original post by FluffyCherry

It is in a different form. They do not have to cover hair
Sorry but if you have a heart condition you go see a cardiologist not an engineer. Similarly if you have a problem with your car you will go see a mechanic not a doctor. Why am i saying this? Because you quote random people who have little Islamic knowledge have they studied islam everyday 24/7 of their lives like the scholars of the past, companions, wives of Prophets etc... Of course not. So trying to say this guy or girl is a credible source does not help your claim.

I'm not a credible source, but I made reference to credible sources, i.e. the quran. What you're saying is that we should go bow to our scholars, accept what they say, and not discuss islam. In that case, you should withdraw all your comments about islam from this forum and ask a scholar to come here and post instead.
Every muslim has a duty to study and discuss islam. Please do not try to sanctify the ulema, they were invented after the prophet (sawas) passed away and are not a divinely appointed people.

If you want references from scholars, then you're being silly. The scholars provide advice and guidance - different scholars have different opinions on historical matters, which leads to differences in their fiqh. Why do you think that the five main madh'habs pray differently to one another?
Original post by FluffyCherry

Please read z33s quote from me, it explains. 'hijab' does not mean headscarf. The word for headscarf is 'khimar'. Your post also explains this lol?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by EastGuava
But it is misogynistic? Ok

How can something be misogynistic if it applies to both men and women?
Original post by Hasan_Ahmed
Please read z33s quote from me, it explains. 'hijab' does not mean headscarf. The word for headscarf is 'khimar'. Your post also explains this lol?

Well obviously I know that, but I usually refer the khimar as the hijab, like most people do. But I see your point.

Quick Reply

Latest