The Student Room Group

I just cant seem to get the grades I want in Biology

Any tips from A-B grade A-level biologists ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by zb91297

Posted from TSR Mobile

Study! It's as simple as that. I'm getting consistent As and A*s this year compared to my Es from last year. Just learn the basics and then recite them over and over until you get them. Also start making revision notes now, but compress them massively!
Reply 2
Original post by zb91297

Practice application questions. These are the questions which differentiate the A/A* candidates from the rest. Use past papers once you've revised the content.
Original post by Lighfy
Practice application questions. These are the questions which differentiate the A/A* candidates from the rest. Use past papers once you've revised the content.

Biology is just repeating the info in the books its hard dont get me wrong the way i did it was learn the book word for word and learn the mark schemes the questions are always repeated! I managed to get 94% last year doing that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cranspice
Biology is just repeating the info in the books its hard dont get me wrong the way i did it was learn the book word for word and learn the mark schemes the questions are always repeated! I managed to get 94% last year doing that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

*! Not ? Ahha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by cranspice

Yes that's true, I pretty much rote learned the content inside and out as well. I guess I meant practice application questions in terms of looking at the mark schemes and seeing what they want, especially for longer answer Q's. No point regurgitating everything you can remember otherwise half of the info will most likely be irrelevant :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Finding different methods of study is always a good way.

Just reading out of a text book can be very tedious and sometimes can be different to retain the information - which is what I've found. I guess everyone is different though.

I would suggest doing loads of question based exercises, make your own notes in your own words to show what you've learned and in a way you have understood it. Watch loads of YouTube videos, there's plenty on there with lots of lessons.

And most importantly repeating what you do until you can do it by heart!

You'll be fine :smile: what you put in is what you get out at the end of it.

Edit: Past exam papers are good too!
Original post by zb91297
any tips from a-b grade a-level biologists ?

learn the mark schemes by doing past papers
Reply 8
Original post by zb91297

Biology is the easier science by concept. However the actual exams can be more difficult when trying to get down the answers they expect. Practicing as many papers as you possibly can will get you used to question styling and practicing application questions as they love to bring those up.
Revise definitions, rewrite notes to drill it into your head and PAST PAPERS!
1. Memorise the text book
2. Do the past papers
3. Collect A/A* on results day
Original post by The Diplomat.
1. Memorise the text book
2. Do the past papers
3. Collect A/A* on results day

A lot of people say to memorise the textbook but if other biology textbooks are similar to the AQA Human Biology one, I definitely wouldn't recommend it. There's so much irrelevant **** in there, it would be silly to attempt to learn it all. I prefer to use the spec and all the past papers I can find to guide me on how to takes notes and what to take notes on, learning those would be better I think :smile:

But I will try this method and if I don't "Collect A/A* on results day" I will be déçu !
Original post by beyknowles2
A lot of people say to memorise the textbook but if other biology textbooks are similar to the AQA Human Biology one, I definitely wouldn't recommend it. There's so much irrelevant **** in there, it would be silly to attempt to learn it all. I prefer to use the spec and all the past papers I can find to guide me on how to takes notes and what to take notes on, learning those would be better I think :smile:

But I will try this method and if I don't "Collect A/A* on results day" I will be déçu !

Yeah when I memorised the textbook i cut out all the useless ****
Yeah when I memorised the textbook i cut out all the useless ****

Fair enough, was it an A you got or A*?
Fair enough, was it an A you got or A*?

A, 7 UMS off A*
A, 7 UMS off A*

Well done !
I understand that past papers are important, but how did you use them? Just revise then test your knowledge and correct your mistakes?

I'm definitely going to make a list of definitions because, just looking at the available past papers, the average amount of marks available for simply writing definitions is 6 (which is a lot /90 really, the difference between one grade and the next)

Edit: hoping for at least 20/25 in the essay, that should be easy
(edited 8 years ago)
Well done !
I understand that past papers are important, but how did you use them? Just revise then test your knowledge and correct your mistakes?

I'm definitely going to make a list of definitions because, just looking at the available past papers, the average amount of marks available for simply writing definitions is 6 (which is a lot /90 really, the difference between one grade and the next)

Edit: hoping for at least 20/25 in the essay, that should be easy

I made sure i knew all of my notes off by heart before I did any papers. Once this was achieved I did the papers. I think what is really important is noticing patterns in the mark schemes, for example every time I saw a question about non functional enzymes I knew that saying " there is a change in the hydrogen bond and ionic bonds which causes the tertairy structure to change enzyme-substrate complexes can no longer form" would guarantee full marks every time.
Once you look at loads of mark schemes you will pick up the patterns and key words.
I made sure i knew all of my notes off by heart before I did any papers. Once this was achieved I did the papers. I think what is really important is noticing patterns in the mark schemes, for example every time I saw a question about non functional enzymes I knew that saying " there is a change in the hydrogen bond and ionic bonds which causes the tertairy structure to change enzyme-substrate complexes can no longer form" would guarantee full marks every time.
Once you look at loads of mark schemes you will pick up the patterns and key words.

Sounds good !
Not even joking, the coursework is stupid.

I got B/B/U in AS, then on the retake of the EMPA got a B,

I gor B/C/U in A2, which bought my overall mark to a C.

I now study Biomedical Science and haven't achieved low than 67% so far in a practical.
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
Not even joking, the coursework is stupid.

I got B/B/U in AS, then on the retake of the EMPA got a B,

I gor B/C/U in A2, which bought my overall mark to a C.

I now study Biomedical Science and haven't achieved low than 67% so far in a practical.

yess the practical is a bitch
we don't get any help so i dont know what to wrote then your mark is pulled down, especially annoying if you're aiming for an a*
yess the practical is a bitch
we don't get any help so i dont know what to wrote then your mark is pulled down, especially annoying if you're aiming for an a*

We're the same, EMPA's are the scum of the Earth tbh..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending