The Student Room Group
Reply 1
zazy
Well, it was far better than even the past papers to me
How did you find it?

Doesn't anyone else have this combination here????
Reply 2
for the1st question was the power 10d?
Reply 3
Yeah I got 10D.

I know I mucked up one question, the one that said which star is ibgger, the sun of the other one (can't remember the name). I used Stefan's law (P=oAT4) and got that the sun was bigger, but after realised it was the other star. ah well, hopefull I might get a method mark for using Stefan's law. The rest was ok I thought.
Reply 4
what absorbs infra red radiation and is a solar mass just the mass of the sun??
what did u put as the common properties of the sun and the other star?
Reply 5
poiuyt
what absorbs infra red radiation and is a solar mass just the mass of the sun??
what did u put as the common properties of the sun and the other star?

Well I didn't even know we had to know that much about absorbtion, but I put air molecules such as CO2. Solar mass = mass of sun, for the schwarzchild radius I got something like 8.9 x 10 to the power 15. Common properties I put same colour (yellow) and approximately same temp. (6000K), but I wasn't sure whether or not to put both have absorbtion spectrums corresponding to metals.
Reply 6
yeah i put metal absorption and similar temp. on part (b) of the first question was it chromatic aberration and how did u draw the diagram?
Reply 7
i just drew the lens focusing the purple light at a different point to red light (other end of spectrum). Do you think they would accept yellow as a property? It would be mean if they didn't. I can't believe how much we had to learn for that exam, and hardly any of it came up!
Reply 8
yeah i think they should accept yellow, because i think all the stars in the suns spectral class r yellow! hey thats what i drew 4 the diagram!
yeah i can't believe there was no doppler effect stuff on the paper, i spent ages trying 2 get my head round that!! i think i should have done more revision 4 module 4 i though it was quite hard apart from the nuclear stuff, how do u think u did?? do u think the grade boundaries will be low?
Reply 9
I did module 4 at the beginning of the year, that module was horrible, so much to learn compared to the others! Yeah I had hoped for a doppler effect question, its all about the questions where you stick numbers into a formula and out pops 3 marks!
Reply 10
So was the other star bigger? Yupeeeeeeeee!!
Ok, and with the IR absorption does that make the star appear hotter??
I also got 10D for the power..
How did you draw the line and why did the telescope work better with visible light?

Latest

Trending

Trending