AQA A2 Astronomy and radioactivity,how do you think you've done? watch

ReputationRep:
    Well, it was far better than even the past papers to me
    How did you find it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    Well, it was far better than even the past papers to me
    How did you find it?
    Doesn't anyone else have this combination here????

ReputationRep:
    for the1st question was the power 10d?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I got 10D.

I know I mucked up one question, the one that said which star is ibgger, the sun of the other one (can't remember the name). I used Stefan's law (P=oAT4) and got that the sun was bigger, but after realised it was the other star. ah well, hopefull I might get a method mark for using Stefan's law. The rest was ok I thought.

ReputationRep:
    what absorbs infra red radiation and is a solar mass just the mass of the sun??
    what did u put as the common properties of the sun and the other star?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poiuyt)
    what absorbs infra red radiation and is a solar mass just the mass of the sun??
    what did u put as the common properties of the sun and the other star?
    Well I didn't even know we had to know that much about absorbtion, but I put air molecules such as CO2. Solar mass = mass of sun, for the schwarzchild radius I got something like 8.9 x 10 to the power 15. Common properties I put same colour (yellow) and approximately same temp. (6000K), but I wasn't sure whether or not to put both have absorbtion spectrums corresponding to metals.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i put metal absorption and similar temp. on part (b) of the first question was it chromatic aberration and how did u draw the diagram?

ReputationRep:
    i just drew the lens focusing the purple light at a different point to red light (other end of spectrum). Do you think they would accept yellow as a property? It would be mean if they didn't. I can't believe how much we had to learn for that exam, and hardly any of it came up!

ReputationRep:
    yeah i think they should accept yellow, because i think all the stars in the suns spectral class r yellow! hey thats what i drew 4 the diagram!
    yeah i can't believe there was no doppler effect stuff on the paper, i spent ages trying 2 get my head round that!! i think i should have done more revision 4 module 4 i though it was quite hard apart from the nuclear stuff, how do u think u did?? do u think the grade boundaries will be low?

ReputationRep:
    I did module 4 at the beginning of the year, that module was horrible, so much to learn compared to the others! Yeah I had hoped for a doppler effect question, its all about the questions where you stick numbers into a formula and out pops 3 marks!

ReputationRep:
    So was the other star bigger? Yupeeeeeeeee!!
    Ok, and with the IR absorption does that make the star appear hotter??
    I also got 10D for the power..
    How did you draw the line and why did the telescope work better with visible light?

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.