The Student Room Group

Being academically gifted no longer leads to wealth

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Radical Don Juan
I hate the circlejerk about wealthy people who drop out, loads of them drop out not because they're doing badly, but because they wanted to focus on their business.

It's like they think little Wayne, the poo flinging chav is gonna be a secret commercial genius

that is exactly what i said... high-fives to you brother
Original post by cranbrook_aspie
The only thing that leads to wealth in this broken country, in most cases, is daddy having a lot of money, sending you to Eton or Harrow or some such place, and then using his contacts to land you with a high-paying job at Big Corp, Inc. Sad but true.

Technically that doesnt lead to wealth since you were already rich to begin with.
Original post by Obstrepherous
True, but there are intelligent people of our generation who are able to make it without a rich dad, such as Jack Cator or Nick D'Aloisio for example

lol mate, D'Aloisio's dad is a senior investment banker, and his mum is a lawyer (likley corporate lawyer, given they're the sort bankers interact with most).

Those are two of the best paid career fields. He was already rich before Summly.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by cranbrook_aspie
True, but unfortunately they're a small minority. In the majority of cases no matter how hard a poor kid works they're going nowhere.

Not true, stuff like this is also really whats hurting the country, they are probably going to do better than their parents. If a poor kid works hard, gets into uni and lands a job that is better than what their parents did, that is an achievement already.

Being academically gifted has always meant the same thing. Being academically gifted and only that leads to the same exact thing today it did 50 years ago. People are always seeing changes where in reality there is not much change. More people are going to uni than ever, more jobs are now service oriented than ever but apart from that most things have not changed.

Only a really small number of people are going to be rich in this world, you will likely need to be smart, ambitious, hard working, well spoken and insanely lucky to reach that, going to Oxford having, well connected parents all increase your odds, but the sooner you accept that going to Oxford does not automatically lead to wealth the better.

I'm pretty cynical, and admittedly never expected to become fabulously wealthy and never wanted to be bad enough that i would take a go at it. You probably shouldn't listen to me if that is your goal, but if you want the more realistic answer its that you probably aren't going to make it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Why does this need to be said? Look all those mega wealthy men who don't even have a university education. Life is a deception.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending