The Student Room Group

Deferring from course - Finance help

I am currently an Adult Nursing Student (BSc) in my second year of University. This is my first course and have not studied any course previously.

This years summer up till now has been very difficult for me mentally and financially. As a result, my personal tutor has offered me an option to defer but I did not take it. Now I have decided to defer from my course this month (December) but want to return the next academic year, September 2024.

What are my options financially? I am aware that I will no longer receive anymore student finance for next year until the next academic year.

And would I have to pay back anything for the period that I am deferring? I want to return to my course the next academic year, as I just need time to recollect myself as my personal life and university is currently overwhelming me at the moment. If I do, I currently do not have the funds to do so at all unfortunately till I get a job next year.

Thank you for your time and patience.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by RedRabbit257
I am currently an Adult Nursing Student (BSc) in my second year of University. This is my first course and have not studied any course previously.

This years summer up till now has been very difficult for me mentally and financially. As a result, my personal tutor has offered me an option to defer but I did not take it. Now I have decided to defer from my course this month (December) but want to return the next academic year, September 2024.

What are my options financially? I am aware that I will no longer receive anymore student finance for next year until the next academic year.

And would I have to pay back anything for the period that I am deferring? I want to return to my course the next academic year, as I just need time to recollect myself as my personal life and university is currently overwhelming me at the moment. If I do, I currently do not have the funds to do so at all unfortunately till I get a job next year.

Thank you for your time and patience.

Hi there,

Just to confirm are you returning to the Adult Nursing course and will it be to second year again?

You would need to contact the university and ask them to send us a 'change of circumstance' to block any further funding in the meantime being released to you. Once this is received and processed our assessors will recalculate your entitlement for the length of time you attended the course which may lead to an overpayment. If you have an overpayment you can either pay this back right away or agree a payment plan with the collections team, or when you do return this will be removed from your future entitlement. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending