The Student Room Group

Becoming a lawyer with a Management degree?

I'm halfway through my management degree at Uni Of Leeds, but want to end up going into law. I'm unsure on routes into doing this? Would I need to do a postgrad in Law?
You can do postgraduate conversion courses in law. I assume this is the route you'd need to take.
Reply 2
Which practice area are you interested in?
Probably criminal and family law, although I don't know if this would be harder as I have no law background so I'm unsure if corporate law is the only choice?
Reply 4
Speak to your careers service and join the law society
Do some research. Google 'criminal law training contract' and 'family law training contract'. There are many firms who will sponsor you for your GDL/LPC is you manage to get a training contract. It depends on where in the UK you want to work, though. You should be applying for Vacation Schemes soon.

Some useful links here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1365301
As Shumaya said, you need to complete a one year Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL) followed by either the Legal Practice Course (to become a solicitor) or the Bar Professional Training Course (to become a barrister). If pursuing the LPC route, you ideally want to find a firm that will sponsor you. They may provide tuition fees (considerable), a contribution towards living expenses, and a guaranteed first job once you qualify. Getting a spot on a GDL is one thing but getting a training contract is a little more difficult, albeit much more prestigious and lucrative. You need to start doing all the law-type CV things asap - law society, law volunteering (outreach? citizens advice bureau?), work shadowing placements, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending