The Student Room Group

Social Work!! interview

Scroll to see replies

Ok so my interviews on thursday! Already my nerves are getting the better of me and i cant seem to remember anything which i have been looking through!

I looked through the news and found recent problems with a social worker who was struckoff because she was defrauding her service user... thats pretty recent so i could talk about that if they ask me.

Im also studying the NHS and Community Care Act 1990 which introduced the assessment of need which social workers carry out am i on the right track?

Im so nervous! Anyone got any tips on how to calm nerves :frown: !
How did you get on?

I've interviews for Birmingham on Friday, Coventry on Saturday, Nottingham next week and BCU at the end of the month. Can anyone who's been through it recommend anything or tell me what to expect please?
Hiya. I have been invited to a selection day at Coventry university for a BA (Hons) in Social work on the 23rd of February. I was told that there will be a written paper and if successful in that you will be later interviewed. I have no issue with the interview as I am well prepared but I am very nervous about the written paper and I think that will be my downfall.

It will be highly appreciated if anyone could get back to me with any information. Just to give me a little insight as of what to expect.

Thankss xx:smile:
Reply 483
Thanks for the advice purple Rose & deleted :smile:

GraciousGrace, I have a written test at Birmingham & they say it will centred around social work and to be able to write 300 words about a current social work issue. Cov may be the same?

Il be there on that day too, i believe the interviews are the same day if you pass the written, Good Luck any ways
Reply 484
Hi there, anyone done their interviews at Wolverhampton, Keele, Birmingham this year 2011

I would be interested in your help for preparing for the interview.

Look forward to some one replying

Thanks in advance
Reply 485
Does anyone know if Edinburgh Uni does interviews? I heard they do it in the third year.
Reply 486
Original post by Kate<3<3
Hey :smile: Im new here! But i have an interview at Hull uni and Leeds Met! For social work and im so nervous! Can anybody give me any tips.. Im applying for the BA social work degree. If so send me an email *mod edit: please don't post your email address* any tips or comments would be great thank you :smile:

I had my interview at Hull early December and got an offer.

My interview was made up of a panel of three people (service user, social worker and someone running the course). The stuff they ask you is pretty standard; your skills which would be appropriate to being a social worker, what experiences you've had which would be helpful and current issues/difficulties surrounding social work. It's difficult facing three people but just do your best not to be nervous. Oh and there's the written bit, basically just a case study which you're asked questions on. Good luck!
Reply 487
Hiyaaaa guys :smile:

I had my interview today met some real nice people :smile: it was actually okay if only i wasnt sooo nervous! I had mine at sunderland uni. In the begining we sat in a circle as a group and talked but I dont think that was part of the process as the interviewer wasnt there! Then I was given a test that lasted 35mins and interview for 40mins but it didnt feel that long lol.

The test was an article about cot death syndrome i had four questions to answer they were stuff like what are the issues in the article, how does it link to social work, what are the views in the article and I can remember the last one cause i ran out of time to even answer it!

And in the interview i was asked four sets of questions by two people. They ask things like whats influeced you do do social work, life experience, things you've read, who will go to a social worker and why. Its all stuff we should know realy and use your comon sense lol :smile:

hope this has helped guys and good luck everyone x
Hi,

I have an interview coming up at BCU, can anyone give ma any hints and tips please??

Thanks
Reply 489
Original post by Angel_Anne
Hi,

I have an interview coming up at BCU, can anyone give ma any hints and tips please??

Thanks

I had my interview at Warwick but it sounds pretty similar. They gave me a case study and asked me to identify some of the issues in there and what I thought would be the most important problems to address.

They also asked me about myself and why I thought I would make a good social worker and also why I wanted to become a social worker. I would also do a bit of reading around news as they asked me what were the current issues facing social work.

It was pretty informal though in mine so just be yourself and I'm sure you'll be fine.
Good luck!
Reply 490
Original post by megan____

I've so far only had an interview for UWS that resulted in an offer, still waiting on replies from strathclyde, edinburgh and caley. I was rather unfortunately rejected from stirling.

Whats the interview like for UWS? :smile:
I had my interview for MA social work at Chester University this morning, I was so nervous!
Anyone else applying for that course?
Apparantly there's 600 applicants for just 30 places!! eek!
Reply 492
hi im new to the forum..has anyone had a interview at bath uni for ba social work, iv got one for there soon and was wondering what it would be like as some of the posts on here have said it was harder than others. getting worried now lol
Reply 493
Original post by kd93
Whats the interview like for UWS? :smile:

Ah, it was probably the easiest. It was one woman and more like an informal chat. They just ask about your personal statement and for a bit more detail. There was also a bit where they give you examples of prejudice and you need to pick one to discuss. Might be different this year though.
Reply 494
Ah, it was probably the easiest. It was one woman and more like an informal chat. They just ask about your personal statement and for a bit more detail. There was also a bit where they give you examples of prejudice and you need to pick one to discuss. Might be different this year though.

Reply 495
Original post by crazyunicorn133

Original post by crazyunicorn133
I had my interview for MA social work at Chester University this morning, I was so nervous Anyone else applying for that course?
Apparantly there's 600 applicants for just 30 places!! eek!

i applied for that course and was lucky enough to get in! didnt realise they had that many applicants.
i heard back about 3 and a half weeks after my interview (which Jan 21st, heard 16th Feb)
good luck you will have to let me know, be nice to talk to people on the course before starting
Original post by jess2305
i applied for that course and was lucky enough to get in! didnt realise they had that many applicants.
i heard back about 3 and a half weeks after my interview (which Jan 21st, heard 16th Feb)
good luck you will have to let me know, be nice to talk to people on the course before starting

Ah, congrats!
Yeah, it's only been about a week and a half since my interview, I'm just so impatient to hear back!
Hurrryyyy uuuuupppp....

I'll let you know if I get in, i agree it'd be good to chat before / if I go :tongue:
Reply 497
Anyone had an interview at northumbria? I have mine next week :s
Reply 498
Hey! I got into Chester uni for the social work MA too! x
Reply 499
Has anyone been offered a place for a BA in September? I'm really excited but suddenly incredibly nervous. I'm a mature student (22) and I'll be living at home but I'm worried I'll find the work really tough. I'm doing an Access to SW course so I've had a good introduction and I'm reading a lot but some of the textbooks are just mind blowing. I'm not concerned about the amount of work but my sister is in her 1st year at uni (albeit doing psychology) and the stuff she is doing looks more complicated than I'd ever imagined. :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest