The Student Room Group

Social Work Interviews

I haven't sent in my application yet, will do at some point this month BUT I have just been looking at the interview process and I'm a little nervous.
I worry since a lot of people I see are coming from having work experience, being in jobs similar to social work. I am coming straight from sixth form and I'm a bit concerned that I don't have the knowledge needed or is expected of me to know.
I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction on what to know more about social work, especially points they might ask about in the interview. Maybe a book, an article or anything of that sort that can aid in furthering my understanding of social work.

Thank you!!

Edit: I'll just add that I'm planning on applying to Uni of Bath, Birmingham, Brighton and Canterbury Christ Church so if anyone has done interviews at these unis could share their experience, I would really appreciate that.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
I'm currently in the process of applying for BA Social Work as well! I have been offered an interview from 2 universities, alongside a written essay on social work. I recommend getting a proper understanding and grasp on what social work is, including what is to be expected of you, and key skills within that area.
I recommend reading scholar articles on social work, along with having a look on

Social Work England Professional Standards

The Guardian Newspaper Society Section

British Association of Social Worker’s Professional Capabilities Framework - Entry
to Training Level

I'm in a similar boat, however I took some time out of study and have been working for the past 2 years after sixth form, so I also have little experience within the field. To help this, I have started volunteer work at my local primary school, which is something you could look at doing yourself?

Good luck! Be yourself, and show passion for the course and you'll be fine!
Reply 2
I'm 26 now, however, I applied for Social Work when I was 17 going on 18 when I was at sixth form. Due to extenuating circumstances at the time, I decided that I wasn't able to go through with the course and ended up studying totally different. I'm now applying to do my masters in social work and have already received offers and interview invites. I received 5/5 offers at that age so don't worry about your age and coming straight out of sixth form. Don't be nervous, you have got this, do your research about social work and absorb as much knowledge as you can about the subject.

I would recommend reading the Professional Capabilities Framework and the Professional Standards as your starting point as well as Understanding Social Work: Preparing for Practice Book by Neil Thompson (and all other books on social work by him, he is a key writer in the field of social work). These will give you an introduction to social work and the skills and professional standards needed to thrive in social work.

I applied for Bath and Birmingham back in the day and they all ask similar questions even if the format is different. Some of the questions I remember from my interviews:

Why do you want to study social work/why you want to become a social worker

How do you deal with stress

What are some of the key values/skills that a social worker should possess

Tell me a time when you encountered discrimination and how you dealt with it

I hope this helps and good luck with it! You have got this! :smile:
Original post by biggaymer420
I haven't sent in my application yet, will do at some point this month BUT I have just been looking at the interview process and I'm a little nervous.
I worry since a lot of people I see are coming from having work experience, being in jobs similar to social work. I am coming straight from sixth form and I'm a bit concerned that I don't have the knowledge needed or is expected of me to know.
I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction on what to know more about social work, especially points they might ask about in the interview. Maybe a book, an article or anything of that sort that can aid in furthering my understanding of social work.

Thank you!!

Edit: I'll just add that I'm planning on applying to Uni of Bath, Birmingham, Brighton and Canterbury Christ Church so if anyone has done interviews at these unis could share their experience, I would really appreciate that.

Great to hear you are thinking of applying to Social Work! 🙂

We have a lot of applicants who haven't had direct experience in Social Work and have been successful at point of application and interview. If you can demonstrate transferable skills that would map across to Social Work, along with demonstrating the standards for Social Work, that will really support your application.
Looking into the BASW and Social Work England will provide a good insight into the profession and standards that you would need to adhere to as a Social Worker.
As mentioned by others, any volunteering or experience that you feel demonstrates key values of a Social Worker will support your application as the uni will be able to see that you understand the profession and what is expected, as well as evidencing you have those values already 🙂

Let us know if you have any other questions!
Reply 4
Hi,
I noticed its been almost since you posted so not sure you have gone through with submitting your application. But just in case you haven't, just wanted to share my experience and hope it can help a future applicant too.

I'm 30. Switching career paths from law to social work. I am applying to do a masters in social work and have already received 3 interview invites and 1 offer. Don't worry too much about the experience bit. Just like you I
don't have any direct social work experience. To make up for that, in your personal statement you can write about "lived experience" (e.g. you were sick or took care of someone who was sick , if you or you know someone who was in foster care, or if you or someone you know is adopted, what has been your experience in this situation and what you learnt from it).

In the interviews, aside from lived experiences, you can talk about any work experience for instance, if you worked in retail, what skills you gained from there and how you can use them in social work practice or in your
sixth form, what extra curricular activities did you participate in e.g. sports, art, music etc.. have you volunteered for a cause? Talk about this and link it to the question being asked.

My point is on the entry requirements they do ask for social work experience or experience relevant to social
work, the reality is in your application they are really trying to test to see if you understand what social work is all about and you have what it takes to make it in the profession.

As far as interview questions go, this is what I remember being asked:

1.How do you deal with stress?
2.What attributes/qualities do you possess that you are bringing to the profession of social work?
3.How do you deal with an angry/anxious person?
4.Tell me a time when you encountered discrimination and how you dealt with it?

I hope this helps and I wish you all the best!

Quick Reply

Latest