The Student Room Group

Social Work interview

Hello!

I have been invited to an interview at the University of Bedfordshire for BSc Social Work. Can anyone give me an idea of interview questions??
Hello! I recently had an interview for MA Social Work, though not at Bedford and was offered a place so hopefully I can help a little.

Firstly, don't panic. The course leader kept reassuring us that they were looking for potential, not perfection. The interview will most likely be in three stages - written task, group discussion and individual interview. If there is anything they particularly want you to prepare for the written task, they will send it to you. Ours was to look at two journal articles and choose one to write about against the Professional Capabilities Framework (PCF) which is worth looking at, you can find it on the BASW website. In the group discussion, they want to see you participate. For this, I would suggest familiarising yourself with current issues in Social Work. The interview is why you want to do Social Work, particular areas of interest, knowledge of things like relevant legislation, oppression, discrimination, poverty etc. If you can link answers to experience in any of the stages then even better.

Of course, each university will be different but hopefully there are some things here that you can look at to prepare. Feel free to message me if there's anything else you would like to know.

Best of luck, please let us know how you get on :smile:
Original post by Sgreen1986
Hello!

I have been invited to an interview at the University of Bedfordshire for BSc Social Work. Can anyone give me an idea of interview questions??

Hi! I have had two interviews for social work degrees and a third one coming up. Some of the questions were:

-Why do you want to be a social worker?
-What are your experiences promotion social justice and how did you overcome discrimination?
-Define social work
-What are some challenges you might expect to face in social work?
-Give me an example of a time you worked on a team

Both of the interviews were followed by short writing tasks. My first two written tasks involved analyzing a study and presenting its aims, methodology, and limitations. My third written task is a case study and is supposed to measure our empathy and how we would analyze the situation. Hope this helps!
Original post by riddikuluskelly
Hi! I have had two interviews for social work degrees and a third one coming up. Some of the questions were:

-Why do you want to be a social worker?
-What are your experiences promotion social justice and how did you overcome discrimination?
-Define social work
-What are some challenges you might expect to face in social work?
-Give me an example of a time you worked on a team

Both of the interviews were followed by short writing tasks. My first two written tasks involved analyzing a study and presenting its aims, methodology, and limitations. My third written task is a case study and is supposed to measure our empathy and how we would analyze the situation. Hope this helps!

Thanks , this is very helpful as I have interview in few days with ARU.
Original post by mercyikuesan
Thanks , this is very helpful as I have interview in few days with ARU.

Good luck! I got accepted after the interviews, so let me know if you have any other q’s!
Good luck! I got accepted after the interviews, so let me know if you have any other q’s!

Hi,
I have interview coming up from Bristol. What's tips and advice would you give, specially about the written task and analysing the article?

Thanks, I got an offer at the ARU.
Reply 7
Original post by mercyikuesan
Thanks, I got an offer at the ARU.

I have an interview on Tuesday for ARU have you got any tips for the interview - kinda things they asked ?
Reply 8
Hello any tips for the interview at ARU ?? The nervs are getting the best of me
Original post by AMea
Hello any tips for the interview at ARU ?? The nervs are getting the best of me

Hi @AMea
Congratulations on your interview!!!
Please don't be too nervous. But I know it's hard not to be. :console: Relax as much as you can before and no matter what, plan something nice for afterwards to congratulate yourself with. You deserve it after doing the interview!! :smile:

Firstly, one of our students wrote this amazing blog last year about preparing for your Social Work interview, and it's all from a students' perspective - who actually has done her interview (successfully) so you can read that here.

Secondly, there's one thing I've always said about interviews, which is that it is a two-way experience. ARU are getting to know you, but you are getting to know us, too. So come up with some questions in advance that you know you want to ask. This takes the pressure of you for a bit, gives you time to take a sip of water and regroup - plus it also helps you work out if ARU is the right uni for you (we hope it is, of course :colondollar:)

Lastly, you might have already seen this as it is going out in emails, but if you haven't we have a video with some support in too, for social work interviews.

If you have any questions, let me know and I'll do my very best to answer.

Oh, and very lastly, GOOD LUCK! I'm sure you're going to do great.

Megan
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 10
Hi. I am applying for MA Social Work interview. Can I please ask if I need to cite the written task. Because I am nervous that I maybe expected to write an essay. Will the written task be about my experience or am I expected to read a book and analyse it? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest