The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Squishy
Most Western philosophers are incredibly long-winded and boring. The only one I've read without almost falling asleep is Bertrand Russell, and even he used a few too many words for my liking.

You better not let Gnostic hear you say that :eek:
Reply 81
Why? What does he think?
Reply 82
Squishy
Why? What does he think?

Min, tell him! :eek:
gnostic
Open your eyes and realise this: philosophy is the mother of all disciplines, and their apotheosis.
Reply 84
Oh right, he's one of those.
Squishy

but he can be nice :smile: Just not when you insult philosophy/LSE or KCL.
Reply 86
Squishy

Shhhhh ... keep quiet and he might not eat you! :eek:
shiny
Shhhhh ... keep quiet and he might not eat you! :eek:

Nah that's Hewins.
Reply 88
Squishy
I don't think many of the people at Trinity were happy that Prince Charles was coming there...the other students weren't from what I heard, since it's the equivalent of having George Bush at an intelligent people's conference.

Trinity's not necessarily the most academic college in the university. I don't ever remember seeing it in the top 5 according to the Tompkins table, but they do take their work seriously, and there are always some very hard-working and clever people there.

After reading your post above, and to satisfy my own curiosity, I obtained these statistics from a search engine.

Trinity came 3rd in 2001, 6th in 2002 and 8th in 2003 - they're slipping! :smile:

Incidentally, Peter Tompkin (who now works for PriceWaterhouse-Cooper) devised the table in 1981 when he was a Maths undergraduate at Trinity.
BossLady
A person who has no idea about which uni has the strongest maths course may actually be swayed by the poll and the fact that Exeter has 402 votes.

and you say that as though its a bad thing???

love Katy ***
Reply 90
ickle_katy

love Katy ***

Well isn't it?

What is worse though is the fact that a mod manipulated the poll result. An ordinary poster can only vote once in any poll so that manipulation cannot affect the result. It is therefore obvious that it was a mod abusing their position, and I'm sure that d would not approve as he has many other members anxious to replace any mod he wants to kick out.

Was it you Katy who did it?
Reply 91
yawn1
Well isn't it?

What is worse though is the fact that a mod manipulated the poll result. An ordinary poster can only vote once in any poll so that manipulation cannot affect the result. It is therefore obvious that it was a mod abusing their position, and I'm sure that d would not approve as he has many other members anxious to replace any mod he wants to kick out.

Was it you Katy who did it?

I kind of agree with this... but at the end of the day as long as the mod power isnt abused too often or for evil purposes; then not much harm done right?
Reply 92
People need to relax a little.....
Reply 93
ickle_katy

love Katy ***

of course it is Katy... Exeter is a good uni and probably does have a very good maths dep, but if this person really does have no idea about the strength of the maths courses offered he may actually choose his provisional uni list using the poll and if he is looking for the strongest from the list, its only fair that we point him in the right direction and try and be realistic. 402 votes for Exeter compared to single or very small double digit scores for the other unis is very unhelpful...even you have to admit exeters maths dep isnt THAT good. Infact I wouldn't expect any of the unis mentioned to score a 3 digit figure if the others were scoring single or low double digits, there's not THAT much disparity between them.

ps:is d going to get a bigger server? the server busy message never goes away arghhhhhhh
Reply 94
S1M
I kind of agree with this... but at the end of the day as long as the mod power isnt abused too often or for evil purposes; then not much harm done right?

true, although it is a bit naughty, it's not as bad as Leekey wearing tights!
Reply 95
BossLady
true, although it is a bit naughty, it's not as bad as Leekey wearing tights!

Yeah but my mod powers weren't involved in that little episode....:wink:

To be fair though, if a person decides upon a university because of a poll on this site then they probably deserve to miss out on the best department.:rolleyes:
Ha ha ha, leekey's not going to live down his 'tights' comment if Boss Lady has anything to do with it...lucky you're not going to Imperial Leekey :smile:
Reply 97
Mysticmin
Ha ha ha, leekey's not going to live down his 'tights' comment if Boss Lady has anything to do with it...lucky you're not going to Imperial Leekey :smile:

I imagine that if I were you two would post pictures of my ordeal all over the place. Still the place is full of guys so that would mean they would all think I was a bit fruity.......no real change there then. :biggrin: On the upside you both shouldn't struggle for dates with that many guys there (my advice being that you should chose a comp sci student of course)!!!:wink:
Leekey
I imagine that if I were you two would post pictures of my ordeal all over the place. Still the place is full of guys so that would mean they would all think I was a bit fruity.......no real change there then. :biggrin: On the upside you both shouldn't struggle for dates with that many guys there (my advice being that you should chose a comp sci student of course)!!!:wink:

Yeah the problem is finding guys we want to date....only kidding, I'm sure there'll be some floating around! :biggrin: Bosslady IS compsci!
Reply 99
Mysticmin
Bosslady IS compsci!

I know that...that is why she has the greatest chance of fulfilling my dream of finding a hottie that does CS (*prays Bosslady is supermodel material*)!!! Seriously though, I bet there will be some fine young me who are well versed in both java and C++ kicking about (*wink*)!!! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending