The Student Room Group

Drop an A-level?

Hello,

I am going to be doing A-levels in September and have picked 4 subjects- Business, Maths, Politics & Psychology. I would like to become a therapist in the future, and have heard that you need Maths or a natural science to get into an undergraduate psychology related degree at the top universities.

The only thing is I do not enjoy nor am I good at the natural sciences and maths. I took maths as a 4th option so I could still drop it but would it be okay if I did that? Can I still get into universities such as Cambridge, St. Andrews, UCL? Or any Russell group university? Is there also specific degrees/courses anyone recommends to become a therapist (undergraduate & postgraduate)?

I would appreciate any help, thanks :smile:
Original post by please help me x
Hello,

I am going to be doing A-levels in September and have picked 4 subjects- Business, Maths, Politics & Psychology. I would like to become a therapist in the future, and have heard that you need Maths or a natural science to get into an undergraduate psychology related degree at the top universities.

The only thing is I do not enjoy nor am I good at the natural sciences and maths. I took maths as a 4th option so I could still drop it but would it be okay if I did that? Can I still get into universities such as Cambridge, St. Andrews, UCL? Or any Russell group university? Is there also specific degrees/courses anyone recommends to become a therapist (undergraduate & postgraduate)?

I would appreciate any help, thanks :smile:

Hi
You are better off focussing on 3 and getting your best grades rather than spreading yourself too thin and getting lower grades (if you are struggling ).
Re which uni. You will be able to put down 5 on your UCAS form. Once the offers come in, you will then firm one and have one as an insurance.
With this in mind, you would choose an aspirational uni (such as you have mentioned above) and an insurance that will accept lower/slightly lower grades should you not achieve the higher grades.
As regards which uni you choose, I recommend spending a few hours looking at what each uni requires in order for you to make the best choices re subjects and which unis to choose.
Do not limit yourself to the top ones necessarily - keep an open mind.

Quick Reply

Latest