The Student Room Group

Alevels Linear or Modular (this year as-level students)??????

Can someone please explain to me how I could find out if my courses (chemstry/ physics AQA) are linear or modular. My school is forcing us to do our as exams this year whether or not they count towards the A2 grade. Is anyone else facing the same problem and please tell me how I can find out whether my course is linear or modular?!
Reply 1
And my school is choosing not to tell us which courses are linear or modular just to make us do our best... but I totally disagree
Reply 2
those courses are both linear.
They are both important though. If you do badly, then you will get low predicted grades and you may not be able to apply to university with low predicted grades. Or you may not be allowed back into your school, and could possibly end up repeating the year.
Original post by Al_YG
Can someone please explain to me how I could find out if my courses (chemstry/ physics AQA) are linear or modular. My school is forcing us to do our as exams this year whether or not they count towards the A2 grade. Is anyone else facing the same problem and please tell me how I can find out whether my course is linear or modular?!

I'm in year 13 so I'm not 100% on this but I think most schools are still making there students sit the AS test as well as the full A level test (Must be something to do with UCAS points or uni applications), but as far as I'm aware all physics and chemistry for year 12 now is linear
Reply 4
Thanks guys I get the idea :smile:
It's linear I presume, since you're taking all the exams at the end of your 2-year course.

The logic for you guys is absolutely ridiculous

If you end up doing badly after 2 years, you'll end up having to retake ANOTHER 2 years, which most people will be put off by and forced to just drop out and start working. All intentional to stop as many people going to uni I reckon :hmmm:
I start A-levels next year and my school is literally on a witch-hunt against AS exams. I understand why though, and we are a high ranking grammar school so they obviously know what they're doing. So next year we'll have no AS. They're so against AS exams in fact that they introduced Maths Pre-U and Further Maths Pre-U, and you have to take both to do further maths - they don't offer further maths a-level anymore and maths pre-u is compulsory if you do further maths pre-u. -.-
Reply 7
Original post by CloakedSpartan
I start A-levels next year and my school is literally on a witch-hunt against AS exams. I understand why though, and we are a high ranking grammar school so they obviously know what they're doing. So next year we'll have no AS. They're so against AS exams in fact that they introduced Maths Pre-U and Further Maths Pre-U, and you have to take both to do further maths - they don't offer further maths a-level anymore and maths pre-u is compulsory if you do further maths pre-u. -.-

This confuses me. Don't you always have to take Maths if you're taking FMaths?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Gogregg

Yes.
Reply 9
Original post by thecatwithnohat
If you end up doing badly after 2 years, you'll end up having to retake ANOTHER 2 years,

You could just re-sit after a year as quite a few people do now.
Original post by Gogregg

They still offer Maths A-level but if you want to take Further Maths you have to take the Pre-Us, they won't offer Further Maths A-level anymore.
They still offer Maths A-level but if you want to take Further Maths you have to take the Pre-Us, they won't offer Further Maths A-level anymore.

That makes more sense to me now. And is it too much of a problem? They're essentially the same qualification, aren't they? Or am I a bit misguided on the topic of Pre-Us? :colondollar:
Original post by Gogregg
That makes more sense to me now. And is it too much of a problem? They're essentially the same qualification, aren't they? Or am I a bit misguided on the topic of Pre-Us? :colondollar:

No, it's not necessarily bad, it means I'll have no exams in year 12 except internals in June :biggrin: But it means I also won't have AS grades in Maths/Further Maths or UMS scores when other people will...
No, it's not necessarily bad, it means I'll have no exams in year 12 except internals in June :biggrin: But it means I also won't have AS grades in Maths/Further Maths or UMS scores when other people will...

But that doesn't matter too much, I think most, if not all, universities have said that people won't be disadvantaged if they don't have AS-Level qualifications :h:
Reply 14
I don;'t understand the logic either, people working hard in their first year smashing as levels could get less than someone who decides to start learning months in advance of the year 2 exams

Quick Reply

Latest