The Student Room Group

grade achieved or university acheived at?

do employers care more about your degree or the university you acheived the degree at?
Reply 1
i guess they do care about the degree but the university also plays a role
Original post by Ehhh
do employers care more about your degree or the university you acheived the degree at?

I think they care more about the class of degree you got. So they would prefer a 1st from somewhere like York or Manchester (good but not top tier) to a 2:1 from Oxford

However I don't know whether they would prefer a 1st from London Met, a less good uni, or a 2:1 from Oxford. I would think in this case it would be the 2:1

Basically if you go to any "good" university and get a first, you'll be in a really good position
Both. Wherever you're at getting a 2:1 is important. Beyond that the university is going to be more important than whether it's a 2:1 or a First.
Reply 4
Original post by DylanJ42
So they would prefer a 1st from somewhere like York or Manchester (good but not top tier) to a 2:1 from Oxford

Don't kid yourself m8
I think they care more about the class of degree you got. So they would prefer a 1st from somewhere like York or Manchester (good but not top tier) to a 2:1 from Oxford

However I don't know whether they would prefer a 1st from London Met, a less good uni, or a 2:1 from Oxford. I would think in this case it would be the 2:1

Basically if you go to any "good" university and get a first, you'll be in a really good position

lol
Original post by Retrodiction
lol

Original post by h3110
Don't kid yourself m8

Do you both disagree? :curious:
Reply 7
Do you both disagree? :curious:

Yes. A 2:1 from Oxford is definitely better and will land you a better job. Employers generally don't care whether you got a 2:1 or a 1:1
Original post by h3110
Yes. A 2:1 from Oxford is definitely better and will land you a better job. Employers generally don't care whether you got a 2:1 or a 1:1

I will take your word for it, I always thought your university only mattered for further study

Would you rank a 2:1 Oxford physicist above a 1st Manchester physicist? Just curious :dontknow:
Reply 9
I will take your word for it, I always thought your university only mattered for further study

Would you rank a 2:1 Oxford physicist above a 1st Manchester physicist? Just curious :dontknow:

From what I've heard, your grade is important for further study and your university is important for your career opportunities. So a first from York might be better than a 2:1 from Oxford if you want to do a Masters degree.

I don't know about Physics.
Original post by h3110
From what I've heard, your grade is important for further study and your university is important for your career opportunities. So a first from York might be better than a 2:1 from Oxford if you want to do a Masters degree.

I don't know about Physics.

I always thought the complete opposite :laugh: Well I'm sure we can agree that a first from Oxford/Cambridge or similar is the best. So @Ehhh aim for that if you want to impress future employers :tongue:
As a Sheffield Hallamer I am perhaps biased in thinking that, generally, recruiters don't really care about where you got your degree or the classification... and care much more about experience and personality.
Though, course, some areas of academia and industry seem to, but not all that many
Original post by Ehhh

Depends on the career.

Front office investment banking (IBD, S&T, Research etc.) roles are traditionally filled by people from the 6 'target' universities (Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL and Imperial). Something like 70-80% of the UK intake for these jobs comes from graduates of these universities.

You also have the 'semi-targets' (Bristol, Durham, Bath, Cass Business School and Nottingham), who traditionally make up the next 'grouping' of graduates to flow into these FO jobs. Although some banks come on campus at these semi-targets, it's a tad harder to break in. Now, this isn't to say that graduates or students of other institutions never get, they do. But, they tend to be exceptional candidates.

Some top law firms have this sort of bias in place too. Often favouring Oxbridge, London unis, Durham, Bristol, Nottingham, Warwick and a few other top universities. And certainly, the barrister profession is heavily skewed towards Oxbridge.

The case is also true in top-tier strategy consulting firms where Oxbridge are the majority, then the rest is made up of other top universities - UCL, Warwick and Bristol to name a few. Normal management consulting is, on the whole, less elitist but firms still favour top 20/RG unis.

All this said, these jobs and sectors represent a minute subsection of the graduate market. Not everyone will vie for these careers. For the most part, with the 70% of grad schemes open to degree holders from all disciplines and the emphasis on soft skills, extracurriculars, and experience. The university's name matters is diminished in the selection process for the vast majority of graduate jobs.

So, to end, it depends on the job you're looking to go into. Some are more strict on uni 'brand' than others. Goldman Sachs as an employer will take people from most universities for their back office positions, yet, they'll favour the top targets/semi-targets for a spot in their revenue generating divisions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending