The Student Room Group

Studying history in Scotland

I have gotten AAABB in my highers in S5, will this limit my options to get into Glasgow, Strathclyde etc. For history? (I tried looking at the websites but they confuse me)
I’m taking 3 more highers this year and an NPA level 6 in criminology
Reply 1
Original post by Joanne_Gallacher
I have gotten AAABB in my highers in S5, will this limit my options to get into Glasgow, Strathclyde etc. For history? (I tried looking at the websites but they confuse me)

Hi there - so looks like Glasgow Uni have changed how they describe their entry requirements but my reading of their website is as follows for history:

They are asking for BBBB from S5 - so you've acheived that. But that will only get you considered for an offer dependent on your S6 grades.

They are saying their normal offer is AAAAA at end of S6. So you would need two more A grades from your S6 Higher subjects (or an A or a B in two subjects if you were taking Advanced Highers). This also means that any offer you get will be a conditional one - dependent on your S6 grades.

They also say you have to have Higher English and a Higher humanities subject.

If you are eligible for a contextual offer then there are lower grade requirements. You can check out if you are by following the links on their website.
Original post by Joanne_Gallacher

Hi @Joanne_Gallacher :biggrin: Well done on your S5 grades! Happy to help with Strathclyde's entry requirements.

Our Standard Entry requirements are AAAA after your 1st sitting, or AAAAB after your 2nd sitting. We need your Higher English, and Maths/Applications of Mathematics National 5 at a B or C. If you don't meet the 1st sitting requirements then we'd ask you to work towards the 2nd sitting entry requirements, which would be the case for you. To meet the 2nd sitting requirements of AAAAB then you'd need to achieve an additional A this year.
You can check here if you are eligible for a contextual offer and if this is the case you are looking to meet the 'minimum' entry requirements rather than the standard.

History is taught as part of our BA Humanities and Social Sciences programme which is very competitive for entry therefore we can't guarantee an offer would be made as it's a very popular degree. It's important you can make your application as competitive as possible with a good personal statement to accompany it as well as your additional S6 study :smile:

Hope this helps a bit but if you've any other questions please do feel free to get in touch with our team! Our email address is [email protected] or you can message me here.

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hi @Joanne_Gallacher :biggrin: Well done on your S5 grades! Happy to help with Strathclyde's entry requirements.

Our Standard Entry requirements are AAAA after your 1st sitting, or AAAAB after your 2nd sitting. We need your Higher English, and Maths/Applications of Mathematics National 5 at a B or C. If you don't meet the 1st sitting requirements then we'd ask you to work towards the 2nd sitting entry requirements, which would be the case for you. To meet the 2nd sitting requirements of AAAAB then you'd need to achieve an additional A this year.
You can check here if you are eligible for a contextual offer and if this is the case you are looking to meet the 'minimum' entry requirements rather than the standard.

History is taught as part of our BA Humanities and Social Sciences programme which is very competitive for entry therefore we can't guarantee an offer would be made as it's a very popular degree. It's important you can make your application as competitive as possible with a good personal statement to accompany it as well as your additional S6 study :smile:

Hope this helps a bit but if you've any other questions please do feel free to get in touch with our team! Our email address is [email protected] or you can message me here.

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Thank you so much!! This is really helpful :smile:
Original post by S1098
Hi there - so looks like Glasgow Uni have changed how they describe their entry requirements but my reading of their website is as follows for history:

They are asking for BBBB from S5 - so you've acheived that. But that will only get you considered for an offer dependent on your S6 grades.

They are saying their normal offer is AAAAA at end of S6. So you would need two more A grades from your S6 Higher subjects (or an A or a B in two subjects if you were taking Advanced Highers). This also means that any offer you get will be a conditional one - dependent on your S6 grades.

They also say you have to have Higher English and a Higher humanities subject.

If you are eligible for a contextual offer then there are lower grade requirements. You can check out if you are by following the links on their website.

Thank you so much!! This is really helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending