No :no:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonbabes)
    Test me
    Testing is really only appropriate when you've covered the basics. I would suggest you do some reading.

As for Kyk's sentence, you should be able to remove the other noun + and and have the sentence make sense (with some subject verb adjustment) .

Sentence: Me and Charles are attending the conference.
    Sentence with Charles and removed: Me is attending the conference.

Does this make sense? What might you replace me with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    Testing is really only appropriate when you've covered the basics. I would suggest you do some reading.

As for Kyk's sentence, you should be able to remove the other noun + and and have the sentence make sense (with some subject verb adjustment) .

Sentence: Me and Charles are attending the conference.
    Sentence with Charles and removed: Me is attending the conference.

Does this make sense? What might you replace me with?
    (Original post by Kyx)
    No :no:
    What about 1) Charles and I are attending the conference
    2) We are attending the conference
    3) I'm attending the conference
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    What about 1) Charles and I are attending the conference
    2) We are attending the conference
    3) I'm attending the conference
    They all make sense but 1 is the answer.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:

yes

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Kyx)
    yes
    Finally :P Ask me a tricky one

ReputationRep:
    My sentence structure , and punctuation is awful. Could solving give me a question, and I'll write a few sentences , so you can examine my punctuation, and sentence structure?

ReputationRep:
    My sentence structure , and punctuation is awful. Could solving give me a question, and I'll write a few sentences , so you can examine my punctuation, and sentence structure?
    Question: All high school students should gain fluency in a foreign language.

Argue both for and against, and then come to a conclusion. Write an introduction as well by the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quick-use)
    Question: All high school students should gain fluency in a foreign language.

Argue both for and against, and then come to a conclusion. Write an introduction as well by the way.
    I'm busy with assignments. I'll do this probably in a couple of days.

Just ask some simple questions like how did your holidays go? Blood test experience etc

ReputationRep:
    I'm busy with assignments. I'll do this probably in a couple of days.

Just ask some simple questions like how did your holidays go? Blood test experience etc
    How did your holidays go?

ReputationRep:
    How did your holidays go?
    My holidays went well. It was quite productive- I took full advantage of the free time. I produced a bucket list, and fulfilled some stuff such as: doing Yoga , buy new clothes, and got a new bag.

ReputationRep:
    My holidays went well. It was quite productive- I took full advantage of the free time. I produced a bucket list, and fulfilled some stuff such as: doing Yoga , buy new clothes, and got a new bag.
    My holidays went well. <--- good

It was quite productive- I took full advantage of the free time. <--- What are you referring to when you say 'it'? You used the word 'holidays' in the previous sentence in its plural form which means that you should refer to that instance as 'they were quite productive'.

They were productive - I took full advantage of the free time. / They were productive: I took full advantage of the free time. Grammatically, your sentence is sound (you can also use a colon here by the way); but, alternatively, I think it would be better to say something along the lines of:

They were productive in the sense that I was able to take advantage of the free time that I had.

I produced a bucket list, and fulfilled some stuff such as: doing Yoga , buy new clothes, and got a new bag. <---- You don't need to use the first comma.

I produced a bucket list and fulfilled some stuff [on it] such as... - It's important to say 'on it' to make it clear that you're referring to the fact that you fulfilled some things listed within your bucket list.

Anyways, moving on:

I produced a bucket list and fulfilled some stuff on it such as: doing yoga, buying new clothes and getting a new bag.

You said: doing Yoga, buy new clothes, and got a new bag. <----

- The word 'yoga' shouldn't be capitalised the same way that football or basketball shouldn't
    - You used the verb 'to do' in its present continuous tense (doing), yet the latter two in varius different tenses (buy - present tense / got - past perfect)
    - You need to use all your verbs in the same tense: doing, buying, getting
    - To end a list you can use the word 'and'. Before that you don't necessarily need a comma.

ReputationRep:
    My holidays went well. <--- good

It was quite productive- I took full advantage of the free time. <--- What are you referring to when you say 'it'? You used the word 'holidays' in the previous sentence in its plural form which means that you should refer to that instance as 'they were quite productive'.

They were productive - I took full advantage of the free time. / They were productive: I took full advantage of the free time. Grammatically, your sentence is sound (you can also use a colon here by the way); but, alternatively, I think it would be better to say something along the lines of:

They were productive in the sense that I was able to take advantage of the free time that I had.

I produced a bucket list, and fulfilled some stuff such as: doing Yoga , buy new clothes, and got a new bag. <---- You don't need to use the first comma.

I produced a bucket list and fulfilled some stuff [on it] such as... - It's important to say 'on it' to make it clear that you're referring to the fact that you fulfilled some things listed within your bucket list.

Anyways, moving on:

I produced a bucket list and fulfilled some stuff on it such as: doing yoga, buying new clothes and getting a new bag.

You said: doing Yoga, buy new clothes, and got a new bag. <----

- The word 'yoga' shouldn't be capitalised the same way that football or basketball shouldn't
    - You used the verb to do in its present continuous tense (doing), yet you the latter two in different tenses (buy - present tense / got - past perfect)
    - You need to use all your verbs in the same tense: doing, buying, getting
    - To end a list you can use the word 'and'. Before that you don't necessarily need a comma.
    See my sentence structure is rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    An hour ago we met a history teacher

If the next word begins with a 'vowel sound', use an.

If not, use 'a'.
    The second time, it could be 'a' or 'an'.

I would go for 'an'.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.