The Student Room Group

First-class University Essay

So, I'm starting an English Literature BA degree, and wondered if anyone had any advice or tips on how to work towards a achieving a first-class essay?

I have only just started, so I may be getting ahead of myself, but I want to have an idea of what I'm aiming for as I go along.

How should I be constructing my arguments?

Should I be looking for nuance wherever possible?

Of course, I could and have researched this, but I figured it'd be useful to ask someone who's either doing so, or has done so. Real-life experience, I guess you could call it.

Thank you.
Original post by LiteraryGeek
So, I'm starting an English Literature BA degree, and wondered if anyone had any advice or tips on how to work towards a achieving a first-class essay?

I have only just started, so I may be getting ahead of myself, but I want to have an idea of what I'm aiming for as I go along.

Of course, I could and have researched this, but I figured it'd be useful to ask someone who's either doing so, or has done so. Real-life experience, I guess you could call it.

Thank you.

Pursuing an English Literature BA degree is super exciting! To successfully achieve a first-class essay, I would suggest you consider these tips:

Master Basics: commence by mastering grammar, punctuation, and structure of your essay.

In-Depth Research: Ensure you dig deep into your selected topics.

Critical Analysis: Support your arguments with evidence from the text.

Clear Thesis: Have a clear thesis statement to guide your essay.

Structured Essays: Organize your essays, with each paragraph (introduction, body, and conclusion) contributing towards your argument.

Originality: Look for unique and nuance angles in your analysis.

Peer Feedback: Share your essays with peers for constructive feedback.

Proofread: always proofread your essays for errors.

Passion: pursuing topics that you're passionate about will definitely reflect in your writing.

Good luck with your studies!
Reply 2
Original post by Cedric Fred
Pursuing an English Literature BA degree is super exciting! To successfully achieve a first-class essay, I would suggest you consider these tips:

Master Basics: commence by mastering grammar, punctuation, and structure of your essay.

In-Depth Research: Ensure you dig deep into your selected topics.

Critical Analysis: Support your arguments with evidence from the text.

Clear Thesis: Have a clear thesis statement to guide your essay.

Structured Essays: Organize your essays, with each paragraph (introduction, body, and conclusion) contributing towards your argument.

Originality: Look for unique and nuance angles in your analysis.

Peer Feedback: Share your essays with peers for constructive feedback.

Proofread: always proofread your essays for errors.

Passion: pursuing topics that you're passionate about will definitely reflect in your writing.

Good luck with your studies!

Thank you so much for the in depth response!

I am lucky that I seem to have a keen eye for punctuation, and the nuanced ways that it can be used - so that's a good start!

I like to think that I already carry out in depth research where I can, so it'll be a case of making sure that I'm doing it the level that is expected of me.

It is the making sure that I come up with a unique perspective and way of presenting my arguments that I my need to focus on. As well as getting peers to review my work, so that I can glean more insight.

The nuanced angles is important, and something that I will perfect as I go along, as well as building on knowledge from previous study.

Thanks again.
Reply 3
Don't share your paper.

that'd be a great strategy if people could be trusted but in reality it is a one-way ticket to academic malpractice hearings for collusion.
Reply 4
Original post by gjd800
Don't share your paper.

that'd be a great strategy if people could be trusted but in reality it is a one-way ticket to academic malpractice hearings for collusion.

I was just going to say this.

Other points are good though.
Reply 5
Original post by Cote1
I was just going to say this.

Other points are good though.

Oh yes, that's a good point actually.

Thank you.

I agree with what others have said, and would just add that a really good way to advance your grades is to become familiar with the various critical lenses that scholars use to analyse texts. So this would mean making sure you understand things like feminist theory, queer theory, postcolonialism, psychoanalytic theory, etc. Your uni library will have a few primers that give you the fundamentals of each and then when something catches your interest you can delve further into it.

I imagine your course will take you through the various literary movements such as romanticism, modernism, postmodernism, etc, but becoming familiar with those will really help you. I suppose what I mean is that it's about having a grounding in literature in general, as well as analysing the individual texts you're studying.

Don't be afraid to have your own individual interpretations of texts!

Which modules will you be studying this semester?
Reply 7
Thank you very much for the response, and taking the time to write it all out!

Funnily enough, I have just been researching into the literary theory and criticisms that you mention. I'm starting to understand how these ways of thinking can help us when approaching a text in terms of how to analyse it; what to say about it, and what these interpretations say about the texts overall.

So, for example, would I research 'what does feminist theory say about X, Y, and Z?', and then do the same for most if not all of the theory, and compare the different insights and approaches? Having said that though, that makes it sound as though I'm just throwing it in to an essay or a response, whereas it sounds as though you would only use it where appropriate.
Thank you very much for the response, and taking the time to write it all out!

Funnily enough, I have just been researching into the literary theory and criticisms that you mention. I'm starting to understand how these ways of thinking can help us when approaching a text in terms of how to analyse it; what to say about it, and what these interpretations say about the texts overall.

So, for example, would I research 'what does feminist theory say about X, Y, and Z?', and then do the same for most if not all of the theory, and compare the different insights and approaches? Having said that though, that makes it sound as though I'm just throwing it in to an essay or a response, whereas it sounds as though you would only use it where appropriate.

I think you're totally right about how theory can be helpful. It kind of makes you really start to understand the whole 'no right answers' thing in texts, as well.

Once you have a grounding in the basics of the various theories then you can totally explore what different approaches have to say about a text, and you'll probably find yourself able to put together your own feminist or Marxist or postcolonial or whatever reading of it. Literature becomes so much more fun when you can do that!

I'd say obviously the theory you use has to fit with whatever your essay question is, but don't be afraid to experiment, especially in first year. You'll often find it is appropriate to be like 'feminist theorists such as X have suggested that the character Y represents blah blah, while some postcolonial scholars have argued that Z'. Does that make sense?

Have you heard of Roland Barthes's Mythologies? It might well be covered on your course but I really recommend checking it out. There's also a documentary you can find on Youtube that's called Twenty-First Century Mythologies, where they use his ideas and apply them to the modern world.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending