The Student Room Group

Has anyone else felt unmotivated to revise?

Has anyone else felt unmotivated to revise?
To begin with, i managed to revise a lot during october. At that time i was very motivated to revise all my subjects but after taking a short break. I began to feel unmotivated to revis, till i reached the point of doing zero revision since the begining of novemeber till now... (about 3 months wasted)

At this moment, i feel too stressed to revise because i keep thinking that i wasted so much important time , which i could have used to get a lot of my revision done. I keep thinking that im not going to get my revsion completed before the exams start. Not only that but i cant stop comparing my low grades to everyone else at my school who are starting to achieve better grdes than me.

I also still have have piles of coursworks/controlled assessments to go through.

Can anyone give any tips/advice id apreciate it a lot, thanks!

my mock grades btw...
Eng lang - a
maths - c
history - c
sociology - c
spanish - d
chemistry - a*
biology - b
physics - c
Reply 1
Hi there,
What i suggust you do is spend your lunch times and about 1 hour after school finishing ur coursework. Thn take a break until about five or six and revise the subjects you find the hardest for two or three hours.

Remeber in a year from now you're going to wishbyou started one year ago.
Original post by Mo De
Hi there,
What i suggust you do is spend your lunch times and about 1 hour after school finishing ur coursework. Thn take a break until about five or six and revise the subjects you find the hardest for two or three hours.

Remeber in a year from now you're going to wishbyou started one year ago.

Thanks that sounds like a useful plan. Reallly apppreciate the help!
Reply 3
Omg I totally understand how you feel!!! I've also wasted the last 3 months because before it I had mocks which was all in 2 weeks and I crammed all my revision. After those exams were over, I said to myself I'm going to revise proper hardcore but then I didn't due to coursework and other little mock exams in class and so on :/

But let me give you some advice. Don't think about how much time you wasted that only makes you even more unmotivated. You can change this by setting a goal. For me, for example is to go through the content that I didn't understand In year 10. That helps me because then I know I am going to save myself all this stress and hassle when it comes down to the exam season. I think by doing that you wont feel like how you are now- as if you aren't getting anywhere.

As for the comparing grades part trust me I do that too with other people. Knowing that others got higher grades than me is so damn irritating. But another piece of advice is that don't ask what people got on their exams- their grades are not going to benefit you in any way. look at yours and see how you can improve. If you heard that others did well approach them and ask if you could read their work or perhaps ask them for help. I used to ask lots of my classmates what they got on their exams but I changed this and asked people in my class oh how would you answer this question that sort of thing.

I know this is also the time where you have lots of coursework and other whatnot that needs to be done. I think you need to prioritise everything yet still make sure you have even just a little amount of time to revise. And by little it can just be 10 minutes or so. You might be thinking 10 minutes of revision is nothing. 10 minutes of trying to learn definitions of things is ACTUALLY something.

Anyways based on your mock results, they look really decent. Now you can see that you excelled in English language, chemistry perhaps spend time on other subjects which your weakest at . Keep yourself on track with all your other subjects. Also this is what I've started to do now : go to your teachers before school starts or go during break time and ask them about thing you don't understand. I print out past maths exam questions which I can't do myself and I go to my maths teacher to help me do it. It usually doesn't take that long and not to remind you this is for YOUR benefit.

I hope all of this has helped you and good luck in the future. I'm sure you will do really well in the summer :smile:
Original post by Taahira_
Omg I totally understand how you feel!!! I've also wasted the last 3 months because before it I had mocks which was all in 2 weeks and I crammed all my revision. After those exams were over, I said to myself I'm going to revise proper hardcore but then I didn't due to coursework and other little mock exams in class and so on :/

But let me give you some advice. Don't think about how much time you wasted that only makes you even more unmotivated. You can change this by setting a goal. For me, for example is to go through the content that I didn't understand In year 10. That helps me because then I know I am going to save myself all this stress and hassle when it comes down to the exam season. I think by doing that you wont feel like how you are now- as if you aren't getting anywhere.

As for the comparing grades part trust me I do that too with other people. Knowing that others got higher grades than me is so damn irritating. But another piece of advice is that don't ask what people got on their exams- their grades are not going to benefit you in any way. look at yours and see how you can improve. If you heard that others did well approach them and ask if you could read their work or perhaps ask them for help. I used to ask lots of my classmates what they got on their exams but I changed this and asked people in my class oh how would you answer this question that sort of thing.

I know this is also the time where you have lots of coursework and other whatnot that needs to be done. I think you need to prioritise everything yet still make sure you have even just a little amount of time to revise. And by little it can just be 10 minutes or so. You might be thinking 10 minutes of revision is nothing. 10 minutes of trying to learn definitions of things is ACTUALLY something.

Anyways based on your mock results, they look really decent. Now you can see that you excelled in English language, chemistry perhaps spend time on other subjects which your weakest at . Keep yourself on track with all your other subjects. Also this is what I've started to do now : go to your teachers before school starts or go during break time and ask them about thing you don't understand. I print out past maths exam questions which I can't do myself and I go to my maths teacher to help me do it. It usually doesn't take that long and not to remind you this is for YOUR benefit.

I hope all of this has helped you and good luck in the future. I'm sure you will do really well in the summer :smile:

Wow thats really motivational. Iv'e just started revising maths and physics. I should be finished with them by 10th feb. Im not really good at making timetable or sticking to them but i hopefully i'll get through revising all of the subjects before the exams

Quick Reply

Latest