The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
imasillynarb
Your muscles grow whilst resting not whilst doing the exercise, and doing more reps wont increase the intensity enough to stimulate hypertrophy so you wont get noticeable gains..

would an extra 5 kg added every month be ok - although i only own two 5kg dumbells lol

thanks for ure help evry1 :smile:
well not all advice ur given us hud follow, its ur own body and only u knw hw it will adapt to changes. ppl give u advice corroborating on their experience, so just try new things and if they work.
Reply 22
emmz
would an extra 5 kg added every month be ok - although i only own two 5kg dumbells lol

thanks for ure help evry1 :smile:

You should be aiming for an extra 5kg per week really...
Reply 23
Girls should never, ever have muscles.

Unless they're Russian. :P
Reply 24
Vitriol
Girls should never, ever have muscles.

Unless they're Russian. :P

In my experience the girls that are actively athletic and muscular are the nicest. :smile:
emmz
lol its not as it sounds but my arms are really thin and i want them to be a bit bigger if you know what i mean coz i want to look sporty. im only 5ft so have a small build anyway but i feel stupid and weak when wearing sleeveless tops etc.
would trying to get biceps work :confused:

I love any chance to show off my human physiology and functional anatomy 2 skills as much as poss (altho I DO hope I have actually passed this semester, considering there is a 70% failure rate!):

OK. You wanted biceps? You'll get biceps by doing the following exercises, emmz, five times a week, in the afternoon (altho you're supposed to do cardio activity in the morning so you'll burn fat - or are more likely to, it's best to do muscle strengthening exercises in the evening, you'll have energy that way):

- Find a clear space to exericse in, and pref use a gym mat.
- Do some arm stretching, and make sure you target ALL arm muscles, as even tho you're focusing on biceps, you need to remember that they all antagonise each other, so if one's out of balance, you're screwed (well, you'll have sore arms, anyway).
- Do 20 lady (or full, depending - I'd start with the lady ones) pushups.
- The next exercise involves weights. I'd choose heavy ones, to get your muscles used to the fact that you will be working them, but not too heavy that it'd cause severe hypertrophy.
- Lift 30 times, each arm.
- Another good idea is to work your triceps (as they oppose biceps, long story), to do this, place both hands behind you on a chair or bench of some kind and sort of like (this is hard to explain, but I hope you know what I mean), DIP yourself until your bum is closer to the ground than before, and you feel your triceps at work.
- Repeat 30 times, stetch triceps, then repeat again
-Yay, you are done, and you can now REPEAT all arm stretches (VERY important), then go out to play. If you're like me, it'll be out in the snow, as it's snowed in Canberra, yay :redface:) snow snow snow

- Have a great day and best of luck on your quest for better biceps,
Danni.
Reply 26
moncal
In my experience the girls that are actively athletic and muscular are the nicest. :smile:

Yes. A girl should be able to pin you down in bed if you don't return the favours! :rolleyes: *shudders*
Reply 27
kieshaxxx
Muscly women are scary ... :eek:

i no what you mean. but then again i think it looks better than flab! toned muscles look good on us females, nut i think major biceps would definately make you look like a russian swimmer as someone has said! but anway emmz..go for it if you think it looks sexy! :wink:
Reply 28
Get a personal Trainer! They can set you on the right track, and you will see results within a matter of weeks.
Reply 29
neha p
i no what you mean. but then again i think it looks better than flab! toned muscles look good on us females, nut i think major biceps would definately make you look like a russian swimmer as someone has said! but anway emmz..go for it if you think it looks sexy! :wink:

yay!! someone saw my post! :biggrin:
Reply 30
step up the amount of meat in your diet and do regualr training with whatever weights you have, you'll notice a difference
Reply 31
Fly By
yay!! someone saw my post! :biggrin:

i no...i thoguht it was a hilarious example!! funny, but true. i had to quote it somewhere!! where did the 'russian' come from?!
xx :smile:
Reply 32
neha p
i no...i thoguht it was a hilarious example!! funny, but true. i had to quote it somewhere!! where did the 'russian' come from?!
xx :smile:

lol seems funnier being russian :biggrin: dunno why.. try another nationality, not the same..:smile:
Reply 33
emmz
lol its not as it sounds but my arms are really thin and i want them to be a bit bigger if you know what i mean coz i want to look sporty. im only 5ft so have a small build anyway but i feel stupid and weak when wearing sleeveless tops etc.
would trying to get biceps work :confused:
u already have biceps
Reply 34
Amb1
High reps with low weight is best for toning muscles but not building up huge body builder ones. If you do high reps with low weights you'll still get definition but not abnormally big, russian swimmer style biceps.

what she said ^^
Reply 35
rainbow_kisses
u already have biceps

hehe, state the obvious!!! maybe she means bigger biceps!! :smile:
Reply 36
danni_bella83
I love any chance to show off my human physiology and functional anatomy 2 skills as much as poss (altho I DO hope I have actually passed this semester, considering there is a 70% failure rate!):

OK. You wanted biceps? You'll get biceps by doing the following exercises, emmz, five times a week, in the afternoon (altho you're supposed to do cardio activity in the morning so you'll burn fat - or are more likely to, it's best to do muscle strengthening exercises in the evening, you'll have energy that way):

- Find a clear space to exericse in, and pref use a gym mat.
- Do some arm stretching, and make sure you target ALL arm muscles, as even tho you're focusing on biceps, you need to remember that they all antagonise each other, so if one's out of balance, you're screwed (well, you'll have sore arms, anyway).
- Do 20 lady (or full, depending - I'd start with the lady ones) pushups.
- The next exercise involves weights. I'd choose heavy ones, to get your muscles used to the fact that you will be working them, but not too heavy that it'd cause severe hypertrophy.
- Lift 30 times, each arm.
- Another good idea is to work your triceps (as they oppose biceps, long story), to do this, place both hands behind you on a chair or bench of some kind and sort of like (this is hard to explain, but I hope you know what I mean), DIP yourself until your bum is closer to the ground than before, and you feel your triceps at work.
- Repeat 30 times, stetch triceps, then repeat again
-Yay, you are done, and you can now REPEAT all arm stretches (VERY important), then go out to play. If you're like me, it'll be out in the snow, as it's snowed in Canberra, yay :redface:) snow snow snow

- Have a great day and best of luck on your quest for better biceps,
Danni.

Err, ok, lets start with one of your comments..

'otherwise itd cause severe hypertrophy'..I hate to alarm you but this is actually what were trying to achieve.

Arm stretching isnt necessary, just do some lower weight reps and gradually build up(only do 2-3 warmup sets and a max of 3 reps for each set).

5 times a week? I dont know how many times I have to say this, your muscles grow whilst RESTING, not whilst doing the reps, therefore, more is definately NOT better. Id expect your strength to actually decrease if you followed that programme..

30 times on each arm in one go is useless, as ive said countless times before, 2 sets, 1st set 12 reps, 2nd set to faliure. If you dont reach failure on the 2nd set within 10-12 reps, then stop, whack on some more weight, and do another set until failure.
Reply 37
Amb1
High reps with low weight is best for toning muscles but not building up huge body builder ones. If you do high reps with low weights you'll still get definition but not abnormally big, russian swimmer style biceps.

toning is such a bullshit word, I wish people wouldnt use it as much as they do. When you mean toned, I take it you mean, it looks as if you have muscles? Why spend hours doing a countless amount of reps trying to keep this 'toned look' when you can train properly/hard for a few weeks, and then only train properly once every 6 weeks to maintain this 'toned' look?
Reply 38
neha p
hehe, state the obvious!!! maybe she means bigger biceps!! :smile:
but if she says silly things she will get silly reactions... :rolleyes:
Reply 39
~*glitter*~
but if she says silly things she will get silly reactions... :rolleyes:

yup, true true!! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending