The Student Room Group

Question about weight loss/Muscle

I am a teenager 14 years old(175cm tall). I weigh 85kg Which is obese for my age. Although I have a lot of body fat on me my shoulders are quite broad and my triceps and biceps are defined to the point where I can see the through my skin a little bit. I am not usual with weight training so I am assuming a lot of the muscle I have is from me being obese most of my life. Last Year I was 96 kgs and I lost weight but I think i may have done this the wrong way as I was eating less than 2000 calories a day and only doing cardio. I took a long break from cutting down weight-

I want to start to get back into it as I am still obese and no where near where I still want to be. Was what I was doing before fine for a teenage body as it gave good results and I felt fine but I just don't want to be affecting my body(Growth etc) in drastic ways.

Also Should I aim to implement weight training with the few dumbells I have at home(only go up to 20kgs but will start off with them). Or should I priorities getting down a bit lower then gaining muscle because gaining muscle when losing weight may be very hard(Is it possible to effectively lose weight and gain muscle?). Or May starting weights make me look too bulky and less lean?

Sorry If I've blabbered on for so long its just health and body image is such a huge factor in everyone's life and I want to make a change
Reply 1
Original post by js234
I am a teenager 14 years old(175cm tall). I weigh 85kg Which is obese for my age. Although I have a lot of body fat on me my shoulders are quite broad and my triceps and biceps are defined to the point where I can see the through my skin a little bit. I am not usual with weight training so I am assuming a lot of the muscle I have is from me being obese most of my life. Last Year I was 96 kgs and I lost weight but I think i may have done this the wrong way as I was eating less than 2000 calories a day and only doing cardio. I took a long break from cutting down weight-

I want to start to get back into it as I am still obese and no where near where I still want to be. Was what I was doing before fine for a teenage body as it gave good results and I felt fine but I just don't want to be affecting my body(Growth etc) in drastic ways.

Also Should I aim to implement weight training with the few dumbells I have at home(only go up to 20kgs but will start off with them). Or should I priorities getting down a bit lower then gaining muscle because gaining muscle when losing weight may be very hard(Is it possible to effectively lose weight and gain muscle?). Or May starting weights make me look too bulky and less lean?

Sorry If I've blabbered on for so long its just health and body image is such a huge factor in everyone's life and I want to make a change

From what I’d say you could either eat in a slight deficit or just at maintenance as your still growing. Chances are you’ll recomp as you begin training, however I would say it would be a good idea into getting a gym membership as I think you’ll progress with them 20s quite quickly 👍
Original post by js234

Keep it up! Eat well, do cardio, and try lifting weights. You can lose weight and get stronger at the same time. Don't stress about looking too big. Just focus on feeling good and getting healthier. If you need advice, don't hesitate to ask.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest