The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I thought you frenchies were a proud republic?

Didn't you like, chop of all the heads of your royals, in that revolving thing?

Consistency my arse.

Yes, I'm going to incorporate you being french into most of our interactions.

You did the same in 1649. :biggrin:
Reply 141
Original post by ellie0497
A woman can wear whatever she wants. Having a piece of clothing on your head shouldn't determine anything.

She can be naked? :eek:
Original post by Josb
You did the same in 1649. :biggrin:

Original post by Josb
She can be naked? :eek:

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BaconandSauce
If people were paying for their care I can see no issue with them making as many requests as they want and having them OK's but in this case it's the NHS which given it's current financial situation should be pandering to these requests if they incur any extra cost.

Like I said, I agree to a point. Tbh I meant specifically intimate exams, which are usually performed by GP's anyway and you just request when you book an appointment. Should've been clearer, sorry. Mind's all over the place atm.
Original post by Josb
I want a female doctor to do a testes check, not a guy. :afraid:

Well it's a personal thing innit, I'm not too fussed about whether I have a male or female GP for intimate exams (and at my practice it's policy to call in a chaperone if you need an intimate exam and your doctor's of the opposite sex) but if pressed I'd ask for a women. I know some women, though, who would definitely want a female doctor, no question. It's personal preference.
Reply 145
Original post by abruiseonthesky
Well it's a personal thing innit, I'm not too fussed about whether I have a male or female GP for intimate exams (and at my practice it's policy to call in a chaperone if you need an intimate exam and your doctor's of the opposite sex) but if pressed I'd ask for a women. I know some women, though, who would definitely want a female doctor, no question. It's personal preference.

So if the patient has the right to have a personal preference for a doctor, the woman in the OP was in her right?
Original post by Josb
So if the patient has the right to have a personal preference for a doctor, the woman in the OP was in her right?

No. I should've made it clearer, sorry - I mean specifically in intimate exams, not generally. And also she was discriminating on religion, not gender. It's one thing to not want a man doctor looking at your vagina, it's another to not want a Muslim doctor just because they're Muslim.
Reply 147
dear or dear ,,, this is still debated ...
let her die then

I have been seen by a Muslim doctor and I received better advice than my "English Christian" doctor.

I am a Christian but the few Muslim people I have met, I like them because they seem to have stronger values than us lot.

PS However, we should not label Muslim people in one group, they come from all places on the planet, as non-Muslim do.
Come to think of it, what if a Muslim patient refused to be treated by a non-muslim on the grounds of religion... would this be discriminatory too?
Reply 150
Original post by teenhorrorstory
http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/health/i-dont-want-to-be-treated-by-someone-in-a-hijab-patient-refuses-care-from-two-muslim-doctors-34276594.html

This happened around a month ago, but I only just read about it now.
Honestly this is so ridiculous. Why would someone refuse medical treatment based on the religious beliefs of the doctor? Quite sad and pathetic really

This has happened to me a few times as a medical student!

Its a shame as 1) Medical training is same for all medical students, regardless of your ethnicity/religion etc and 2) As a Muslim medical student myself, when I step foot on the ward - I don't go around judging people who may be in acts that my religion does not allow. This is one of the beauties of our profession, we do not care who you are or where you come from - you will get the same quality of care from me than anyone else would.

Stupid to refuse a consultant to check you! Would she prefer a 23 year old newly trained newby doctor? Think not!
Original post by Josb
How would you fell if a doctor kept his hat whilst examining you?
A scarf isn't a hat.

From what I saw it looked more like a scarf than anything like a hat. If he was wearing a scarf, I'd assume he just liked wearing it. If it was a cultural/religious thing, like a Jew wearing his kippur, I wouldn't be even slightly bothered.

Also, the rules of etiquette in this country allow a woman to wear a hat inside, but not a man. So if it was a Jew wearing a kippur, like I said, I wouldn't be bothered; if it was just some pleb wearing a beanie or something I'd think he was a knob.
Original post by childofthesun
The hijab doesn't cover the face..
hijab just means a "screen"

so, it is a rather general term, and does not simply mean "a headscarf" : it could be a headscarf, but also a niqab, a burkah, a tchador, a loosely-fitting jilbab etc etc

it could be anything which allows women not to display their beauty : although, in popular culture, there is now the equation hijab=headscarf
Original post by Tootles
A scarf isn't a hat.

From what I saw it looked more like a scarf than anything like a hat. If he was wearing a scarf, I'd assume he just liked wearing it. If it was a cultural/religious thing, like a Jew wearing his kippur, I wouldn't be even slightly bothered.

Also, the rules of etiquette in this country allow a woman to wear a hat inside, but not a man. So if it was a Jew wearing a kippur, like I said, I wouldn't be bothered; if it was just some pleb wearing a beanie or something I'd think he was a knob.
Kippur, in Hebrew, means "atonement"

wearing a kippur would seem to be quite a challenge : most likely, you mean a kippah https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kippah

best
Original post by mariachi
hijab just means a "screen"

so, it is a rather general term, and does not simply mean "a headscarf" : it could be a headscarf, but also a niqab, a burkah, a tchador, a loosely-fitting jilbab etc etc

it could be anything which allows women not to display their beauty : although, in popular culture, there is now the equation hijab=headscarf

Lol I see why you have a reputation for waffling
Original post by mariachi
Kippur, in Hebrew, means "atonement"

wearing a kippur would seem to be quite a challenge : most likely, you mean a kippah https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kippah

best
Yarmulke :colonhash:

I really do love it when people would rather get caught up in a misspelling or misremembered word than pay attention to the (obvious) intent of what's being said.

Spoiler

Original post by Tootles

Spoiler

dyslexic brotherhood :five:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
dyslexic brotherhood :five:
ASD Master Race :smug:
Original post by childofthesun
Lol I see why you have a reputation for waffling
who knows ? perhaps a well deserved reputation...
I have to admit that I am quite generous with my favourite Waffles_with_Strawberries.jpg have one,please

however, there is an issue here : when people speak of covering, there is always a great confusion : hijab, headscarf, khimaar, niqab, tchador, jilbab, burkah are used by some as almost synonymous, leading to total confusion
Original post by Tootles
Yarmulke :colonhash:
I really do love it when people would rather get caught up in a misspelling or misremembered word than pay attention to the (obvious) intent of what's being said.
I am very sorry, but I quite liked the idea of someone wearing his "atonement" on his head (rather immodest, I would say)

in any case, I was also wrong about "kippah":it is not Hebrew, but Yiddish, and has the same Germanic root as "cap", "Kappe" etc

yarmulke on the other hand is of Semitic origin : it contains the same m-l-k root that you have in Arabic "malik" (king)

it means "respect", "reverence" : you would wear such a head covering before a king

all the best
(edited 8 years ago)
On the substance : if I learnt that my Muslim GP interprets Quran 8:22 literally, and firmly believes that non-Muslims are the "vilest of animals", I might have some doubts about his commitment to treat me and change GP as soon as possible

however, in my view people have to be judged individually, on their own merits
with regard to doctors, I wonder if Jehovah's witnesses ever had any problems (since they oppose blood transfusions)

Latest

Trending

Trending