The Student Room Group

A-level choices

I'm in year 11 at the moment and choosing my A-levels. I'm predicted mainly A's and A*s in,my GCSE's. I definitely want to do History and English lit but i also need to choose between Philosophy and Ethics, Economics and Government and Politics. I would really like to do History and Politics at oxford one day and was wondering what would be the best subjects to do, and if any one them are considered "soft".
Original post by 2000lynn
I'm in year 11 at the moment and choosing my A-levels. I'm predicted mainly A's and A*s in,my GCSE's. I definitely want to do History and English lit but i also need to choose between Philosophy and Ethics, Economics and Government and Politics. I would really like to do History and Politics at oxford one day and was wondering what would be the best subjects to do, and if any one them are considered "soft".

If you wanted, you could take four A-Levels and take both 'Philosophy and Ethics' and 'Government and Politics', then drop one subject after year 12 depending on which one you don't enjoy as much as the others.

I don't know about 'Philosophy and Ethics' and 'Government and Politics', but I know that Economics is seen as a soft subject, plus it wouldn't be very relevant to a History and Politics degree, so if you had to pick just three A-Levels, I wouldn't consider Economics as one of my choices.

Quick Reply

Latest