The Student Room Group

Muslims aren't the problem, Islam is

Scroll to see replies

I so disagree with you when you say that Islam is the problem, what makes you say that? Have you actually researched this in depth or have you just followed what is said in the media and made assumptions based upon that? This is what I hate the most. Islam is the religion of peace, as a muslim myself I do not think its the religion's fault at all, its actually those so called minority of people who are portraying it in a bad way. Grrrrrr im mad now!!:frown:
Original post by Khadijah489
I so disagree with you when you say that Islam is the problem, what makes you say that? Have you actually researched this in depth or have you just followed what is said in the media and made assumptions based upon that? This is what I hate the most. Islam is the religion of peace, as a muslim myself I do not think its the religion's fault at all, its actually those so called minority of people who are portraying it in a bad way. Grrrrrr im mad now!!:frown:

The Quran is full of violent and unpleasant passages. Thankfully the majority of Muslims don't put them into practice, but there are some who do and just because you don't like their interpretation doesn't mean they're not getting it from Islamic scripture.

Why is it whenever I hear a Muslim say Islam is a religion of peace I start to suspect their motives?
Islam isn't the problem. Ignorance is.
Original post by mariam687
but you dont know the religion, its the media tht portrays all tht. Yes, there are terrorists etc bt you cant assume all muslims are like that and you cant blame it on the religion itself. ITS NOT JUST MUSLIMS WHO ARE TERRORISTS AND EXTREMISTS

is2g all this bs does my head in

If the holy book of a religion causes X, Y & Z, even if misinterpreted, it is at fault.
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
Islam isn't the problem. Ignorance is.

but Islam causes ignorance so Islam is the problem.
I assume you have read the Quran since you say yourself that it is full of violent and unpleasant passages. So which parts do you think are violent and unpleasant because I'd really like to know what your talking about?
Original post by Sgt_Haytham
This is what the Leader of the EDL party, 'Tommy' Robinson, said whilst on The Big Questions back in 2012. Although I do not follow or support his group, I do have to agree to this point.

I watched the 39 minute long video and he was constantly cut when trying to make his points.

Anyway, I do agree that the religion is at fault, not the people who follow it.

What do you think?

why can't people be nice to each other ?
Well instead of suspecting and assuming things, I think you should actually look into the religion yourself if you really think that way:u:
I assume you have read the Quran since you say yourself that it is full of violent and unpleasant passages. So which parts do you think are violent and unpleasant because I'd really like to know what your talking about?

Yes I have read it myself and the fact you're denying there's violence in there is pretty strong evidence you haven't. You can google violent passages yourself, but I'll provide just a couple here:

Quran 2:191 ~ And kill them wherever you overtake them and expel them from wherever they have expelled you, and fitnah is worse than killing. And do not fight them at al-Masjid al- Haram until they fight you there. But if they fight you, then kill them. Such is the recompense of the disbelievers.

Quran 3:56 ~ And as for those who disbelieved, I will punish them with a severe punishment in this world and the Hereafter, and they will have no helpers."

Quran 5:33 ~ Indeed, the penalty for those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger and strive upon earth [to cause] corruption is none but that they be killed or crucified or that their hands and feet be cut off from opposite sides or that they be exiled from the land. That is for them a disgrace in this world; and for them in the Hereafter is a great punishment.

Who are you talking to?
Your contradicting yourself there by saying that I haven't read the Quran, that's pretty stupid considering that I never denied violence in the first place but oh well. As for those passages, its there for a reason, as the Quran states that the disbelievers will get punished since they are simply not followers of Islam. Also, those passages don't solely reflect on the majority of people, its the minority, again.
Forget it lol
Your contradicting yourself there by saying that I haven't read the Quran, that's pretty stupid considering that I never denied violence in the first place but oh well. As for those passages, its there for a reason, as the Quran states that the disbelievers will get punished since they are simply not followers of Islam. Also, those passages don't solely reflect on the majority of people, its the minority, again.

I'm not contradicting myself, I said it was violent and by your indignant response you implied it wasn't and asked me to provide examples. Why would you ask for examples if you already knew the Qur'an does contain unpleasant and violent passages?

Whatever reason they may or may not be there for is totally irrelevant, it doesn't change the fact that those violent and disgusting passages are still there.
Original post by BaconandSauce
Who are you talking to?

Me, although it appears she hasn't learned how to quote yet.
Also, those passages don't solely reflect on the majority of people, its the minority, again.

so only a minority of Muslims believe in this part of the quran
What I meant when I said that point was that only one passage is directed towards the disbelievers, since it clearly states that the disbelievers will receive a punishment. This is what I meant when I said the passage is only directed towards a minority of people (which is the disbelievers and not the majority (which is the true believers). Obviously some people condemn killing in Islam but sadly some do not and it is these people that are not practising Islam properly.
What I meant when I said that point was that only one passage is directed towards the disbelievers, since it clearly states that the disbelievers will receive a punishment. This is what I meant when I said the passage is only directed towards a minority of people (which is the disbelievers and not the majority (which is the true believers). Obviously some people condemn killing in Islam but sadly some do not and it is these people that are not practising Islam properly.

there are more disbelievers in Islam then there are believers in islam in fact it is about a quarter of the world who are Muslim and the rest aren't

you seem to be a very confused person just pushing platitudes and being quite dishonest in your replies.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reasons for asking you that question was based solely because I wanted to find out why you thought that it contained violent and unpleasant passages, basically, making sure you weren't just talking a load of ******** :smile: although I did sound as if I was contradicting myself, I disagreed with the point that you made when you said that it was unpleasant and violent, those passages are there for a reason, the Quran certainly does not condemn killing and it never has done, your prejudice towards the passages and the religion itself is quite offensive as well, since you have to understand why those passages are there in the first place. The Quran has those passages for a reason, you will need to read more about it in depth in order to understand. I cannot stand bigotry at all but if thats your opinion then I respect it.
the Quran certainly does not condemn killing and it never has done

This is the main concession, and you've made it. The rest of your post was little more than face-saving babble.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending