The Student Room Group

“It’s culture” but people from Islam are from all different cultures

Hey, I’m Muslim and struggling with my faith, I want guidance. When people or groups go through a hard time, Islamic apologists/Muslims (and myself) will say that their hardships are due to culture, except all these individuals come from a wide range of cultures from different parts of the globe. The only common denominator amongst them is Islam. This shapes the cultures to be so similar, and hence blaming the cultures is indirectly blaming Islam. I want to know, if Islam is good, why are all these cultures whom are of different parts of the world, so toxic and horrible? Why do people from differen to arts of the globe, with different cultures yet equally toxic households, have the same type of trauma? It’s been a thought I’ve been struggling with a long time and I would appreciate either criticism of this opinion (“you’re wrong, you have bias because..” etc) and validation of this opinion (“you’re right, this phenomenom is because…” etc)
Reply 1
Original post by Sha.xo527
Hey, I’m Muslim and struggling with my faith, I want guidance. When people or groups go through a hard time, Islamic apologists/Muslims (and myself) will say that their hardships are due to culture, except all these individuals come from a wide range of cultures from different parts of the globe. The only common denominator amongst them is Islam. This shapes the cultures to be so similar, and hence blaming the cultures is indirectly blaming Islam. I want to know, if Islam is good, why are all these cultures whom are of different parts of the world, so toxic and horrible? Why do people from differen to arts of the globe, with different cultures yet equally toxic households, have the same type of trauma? It’s been a thought I’ve been struggling with a long time and I would appreciate either criticism of this opinion (“you’re wrong, you have bias because..” etc) and validation of this opinion (“you’re right, this phenomenom is because…” etc)
Does correlation not equal causation?
Reply 2
hey
muslim gal here
i think ppl say culture because majority muslim people come from a 'muslim' country or the like. islam had been around for quite some time, and unfortunately in different cultures, islam has been interpreted differenlt, and due to many generation changes we view things differently, and put more/less stress on certain aspects of life compared to our elders. even though many of us come from different cultures, as they're based on islam, we hv similar experiences, but its not the true islam as all cultures have mixed with islam to and understand the religion to different extents. islam is not the problem. its misunderstanding amongst people that is, because if you take tie out to actually understand islam you'll see it does not align with MANY cultures at all, despite them all varying.
hope this helps x
Reply 3
Original post by Sha.xo527
This problem is perhaps due to people's ignorance of the religion along with following their desires. Sadly, many people don't bother trying to learn their religion so they mix up their perception of Islām with their culture. For example, one form of oppression in some cultures is that women are completely deprived from inheritance, perhaps due to how they perceive how Islām views women, despite Allāh explicitly allocating a share of inheritance to them. Likewise, "honour killings" and the likes which has nothing to do with Islām.

However, do not let the Shaytān deceive you into blaming Islām. You must know, may Allāh bless you, that Islām is the perfect way of life on an individual, familial and societal level. Allāh said (meaning): {Today, I have perfected for you your religion and completed My favor upon you and have approved for you Islām as religion.} [al-Mā'idah 5:3] The shortcomings of Muslims should not taint our view of Islām because Islām is what Allāh and His Messenger said, not what the people do. Umar ibn al-Khattab, may Allah be pleased with him, said, Verily, we were a disgraceful people and Allah honored us with Islam. If we seek honor from anything besides that with which Allah honored us, Allah will disgrace us.” [al-Mustadrak ‘alá al-Ṣaḥīḥayn 207 - Sahih (authentic) according to Al-Albani]

Seeing misguidance spread amongst Muslims due to their ignorance of the religion should sadden us and it should inspire us to dedicate ourselves to learning and teaching people about the religion. However, it is not an easy task; it requires the most courageous and dedicated of people to sacrifice their time to attend classes, memorise, read, study and teach for the sake of bringing success and honour to the people. That being said, the recompense for this is tremendous as indicated by the Messenger of Allah when he said (meaning):
"Whoever travels a path in search of knowledge, Allah will make easy for him a path to Paradise. People do not gather in the houses of Allah, reciting the Book of Allah and studying it together, but that tranquillity will descend upon them, mercy will cover them, angels will surround them, and Allah will mention them to those near Him" [Sahīh Muslim 2699]
The virtue of the scholar over the worshipper is like my virtue over the least of you. Verily, Allah, His angels, the inhabitants of the heavens and earth, even the ant in his hole and the fish, send blessings upon the one who teaches people what is good. [Sunan al-Tirmidhī 2685 - Sahih (authentic) according to Al-Tirmidhi]

I also want to ask you for examples of these "toxic and horrible" things because some people view the wrong things as "toxic". For example, some people view parents who rebuke and prevent their children from having boyfriends/girlfriends as "toxic". This is not correct because Islām forbids these things and it is upon the parents to prevent evil from entering into their families. So I would appreciate if you could give me some examples of what you were talking about.
(edited 1 month ago)
The term "culture" does not solely apply to a religious culture.
It is often used to refer to: family culture, tribal culture, popular culture, professional culture, class culture, regional or national culture.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending