The Student Room Group

computing/computerscience/networking

I want to study computer science at uni since it seems to be what most tech companies like Microsoft want.

Is it possible to get on with

BTEC extended L3 D*D*D*
and only 2-3 gcses (done at college)?

Is maths ( my weak point) a strong requirement?

i couldn't do gcses cause i dropped out of school which also meant i could not do a levels

and if a levels is required, can i get do a levels with my small number of gcses (as 4-5 is minimum from what i have seen)

thanks,
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
What university are you thinking? I know that most of them require a minimum of 5 GCSE's at a level of A* to C to study most computer based courses. What are your current GCSE's as well?

I am currently studying the same course as you and hoping to achieve the same grade.
Reply 2
Original post by abutawheed
I want to study computer science at uni since it seems to be what most tech companies like Microsoft want.

Is it possible to get on with

BTEC extended L3 D*D*D*
and only 2-3 gcses (done at college)?

Is maths ( my weak point) a strong requirement?

i couldn't do gcses cause i dropped out of school which also meant i could not do a levels

and if a levels is required, can i get do a levels with my small number of gcses (as 4-5 is minimum from what i have seen)

thanks,

CompSci is a much more academic course than you might be thinking of. It requires a good standard of maths, with A at A-level (or equivalent) often specified at many unis.

Have you researched the content of these courses?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Cicca205
What university are you thinking? I know that most of them require a minimum of 5 GCSE's at a level of A* to C to study most computer based courses. What are your current GCSE's as well?

I am currently studying the same course as you and hoping to achieve the same grade.

with these grades:

english a*
maths: c
btec L2 D* (apparently this is also acceptable replacement of gcse)

chosen university, any reputable part of the russell group in midlands

do you think i could do a levels with these grades if i get lucky?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
CompSci is a much more academic course than you might be thinking of. It requires a good standard of maths, with A at A-level (or equivalent) often specified at many unis.

Have you researched the content of these courses?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah i have, it's just i would like to get a good job in the IT field, and computer science seems to be the way to go.
Reply 5
Original post by abutawheed
yeah i have, it's just i would like to get a good job in the IT field, and computer science seems to be the way to go.

So I refer you back to my point about maths. If your maths is weak you might be better looking at a different course than CompSci, especially at RG or similar unis.

Edit to add: what sort of "technology" jobs interest you? Developer/programmer? network administrator? IT support? electronic engineering? IT sales?

To be clear, CompSci at an RG uni is *not* a vocational degree.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
I decided to make an account just to post here. I like you am weak at maths and really wanted to take a computer based course at university (C in maths @ GCSE). I entered AS-Levels with the expectations of getting E/Us from all my teachers (yes, really!) and after my first year (Achieved CCD) I was called for a meeting with the careers adviser, i explained my obsession with programming and that this is what i wanted to do. 1 month or so later i was called again, she told me that it is unrealistic for me to expect to attend university for a computer based programming course with only a C in maths & literally buried it in my mind that i should drop out and take an apprenticeship.

Long story short i'm currently in year 14 of Sixth Form & I have 5 university offers with conditions (4x Computer Games Programming, 1x Computer Science) and to this day my teacher tell me I wont make it. I'm weak at maths, i got a C but that isn't stopping me & it shouldn't stop you. I cannot answer if it is enough I was just commenting about that "weak point" of yours. Computer Science is as much logical thinking as it is maths. Granted it takes me a little longer to get my head around things then say someone with a grade A in maths but who cares? Eventually I'll get there & you will also.

I also applied for a course with a grade B in maths requirement, they lowered it to a C for me.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending