The Student Room Group

what to choose when you don't know what to choose

Medicine, physics, maths, biology etc. aren't for everyone. So please, do not advise here to choose any of these studies.

I think that there are a few people out there that are like me: not the best, but not the worst grades, haven't decided what to study after graduation, doesn't have any specific talents or hobbies, and isn't specialy good at something. AVERAGE HUMAN BEING.

If you or someone you know fits the description, please, share you experience, what would you advice (except taking a gap year), what did you chose to study and are you happy with your decision.
Reply 1
If you genuinely have no particular subject which interests you, I'd question whether going to uni is really a good idea. If you don't particularly enjoy any school subjects, you certainly won't find them any better at uni - where you'll be landing yourself in well over £35,000 of student debt for the privilege.

You might be better off taking a gap year or looking at vocational training/apprenticeships.
Original post by ugneek
Medicine, physics, maths, biology etc. aren't for everyone. So please, do not advise here to choose any of these studies.

I think that there are a few people out there that are like me: not the best, but not the worst grades, haven't decided what to study after graduation, doesn't have any specific talents or hobbies, and isn't specialy good at something. AVERAGE HUMAN BEING.

If you or someone you know fits the description, please, share you experience, what would you advice (except taking a gap year), what did you chose to study and are you happy with your decision.

You need to study something that interests you. I agree, the sciences aren't for everyone, but there are lots of social sciences, arts and humanities available at uni.

You won't do well at a subject you're not passionate about. If you're interested in current affairs, then why not consider something like politics, law or international relations?

Traditional subjects, such as English lit or history are very well respected and can lead to a wide range of careers. However, you have to be really interested in your subject to do well at them.

The thing is, the average human being does have interests and passions, maybe not a specific hobby, but most people will have a favourite subject or an area that especially interests them.

Maybe consider going to an open day at a large uni, and wander round, see all the different subjects on offer and decide if any of them interest you.

There's no point going to uni having picked something for the sake of it- why do you not want to take a gap year?
I concur with the above, but I will ask - do you have any extra curricular interests?

There are lots of weird and wonderful degree subjects out there. If, for example, you had some aptitude for science and you had tried making your own beer and enjoyed the process, you could look at Brewing and Distilling at Heriot Watt. If you were particularly keen on golf then you could look at Golf Management at Birmingham. Both of the above have good career prospects, FWIW.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ugneek

Look through the course profiles on university websites and see if any catch your eye. If you don't find anything it would however be an expensive mistake to pick a course just for the sake of going to uni.
What's your objection to taking a gap year? Inspiration about what you want to study may come to you when your smashed off your face on a Thai beach.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending