The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Cardiff University Accommodation 2016

Hey Everyone, I am the senior student academic rep for Cardiff University.

This thread is to advise you on accommodation and answer any questions about any of the specific halls you may have.

An extensive list of Halls Groups will be provided to help you meet your fellow housemates once allocations have been given out.

I hope you and your friends find this useful and I look forward to reading your questions soon!

Cardiff Uni Academic Representative

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DaisyCardiffRep
Hey Everyone, I am the senior student academic rep for Cardiff University.

This thread is to advise you on accommodation and answer any questions about any of the specific halls you may have.

An extensive list of Halls Groups will be provided to help you meet your fellow housemates once allocations have been given out.

I hope you and your friends find this useful and I look forward to reading your questions soon!

Cardiff Uni Academic Representative

Hi, I'm really stuck between putting down taly gate or taly south as my first choice accommodation for 2016/17 do you have any details on either or which one you think would be better?
I have a car but I'm not too fussed about taking it to uni that would just be an added bonus if I could. I want to be in a social accommodation and I'm a little worried taly gate might not be as social as taly south would be.
Thanks for your help
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi, I am hoping to come to cardiff next year and was just wondering if you could advise me on whether talybont court or gate is better!
Reply 3
Hey! I'm hoping to go Cardiff this year and was convinced that I wanted to go to Talybont South, but then I saw this:
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/disabled-cardiff-student-says-shes-10878102
Now I'm so stuck): I want somewhere social, but CLEAN
Original post by lgreenley16
Hi, I'm really stuck between putting down taly gate or taly south as my first choice accommodation for 2016/17 do you have any details on either or which one you think would be better?
I have a car but I'm not too fussed about taking it to uni that would just be an added bonus if I could. I want to be in a social accommodation and I'm a little worried taly gate might not be as social as taly south would be.
Thanks for your help

Talybont South has the most social activity going on out of the two, it's about 5 minutes closer to uni than it takes from Talybont Gate. However the accommodation quality in talybont gate is very very good as its brand new, in comparison to talybont south.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HelenS97
Hi, I am hoping to come to cardiff next year and was just wondering if you could advise me on whether talybont court or gate is better!

Talybont gate is a new accommodation so everything is of almost brand new quality. Its also closer to a huge Tesco and a few fast food restaurants. However it's a little bit further from uni.
Talybont court is closer to uni by 10 minutes than from Talybont Gate. The accommodation is slightly older but still better than Talybont South and North.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ellebop
Hey! I'm hoping to go Cardiff this year and was convinced that I wanted to go to Talybont South, but then I saw this:
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/disabled-cardiff-student-says-shes-10878102
Now I'm so stuck): I want somewhere social, but CLEAN

Talybont North is also very social, but if you're wanting clean, I'd probably say it's out of Talybont Gate and Court

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by DaisyCardiffRep
Talybont gate is a new accommodation so everything is of almost brand new quality. Its also closer to a huge Tesco and a few fast food restaurants. However it's a little bit further from uni.
Talybont court is closer to uni by 10 minutes than from Talybont Gate. The accommodation is slightly older but still better than Talybont South and North.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 8
Hi! I'm looking to study law in Cardiff in September 2016. I'd like to know which among Cardiff University Residence Hall is the nearest to the law faculty. Also, I'm planning to stay in an ensuite room. Which then is the best choice of accommodation for me? Thank you
Original post by ATIQAH
Hi! I'm looking to study law in Cardiff in September 2016. I'd like to know which among Cardiff University Residence Hall is the nearest to the law faculty. Also, I'm planning to stay in an ensuite room. Which then is the best choice of accommodation for me? Thank you

If you're wanting close then colum halls is near but ensuite rooms are nicer in Talybont court which is only another 5 mins further walk

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi. When can we start applying for the accommodation? Do we have to reply on UCAS before we can start applying? Also, as I could be studying at Heath Park, which hall of residence is the closest? Right now I like Uni hall but I don't know how far it is to health park.
What would you recommend in terms of accommodation? I'm looking for self catered en suite somewhere relatively quiet and clean (although I do realise I'm unlikely to find both)
Original post by pancakes_98
Hi. When can we start applying for the accommodation? Do we have to reply on UCAS before we can start applying? Also, as I could be studying at Heath Park, which hall of residence is the closest? Right now I like Uni hall but I don't know how far it is to health park.

Yes you have to reply on ucas and confirm, accommodation applications start towards the summer. Near Heath park is Uni halls

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nmnorgan305
What would you recommend in terms of accommodation? I'm looking for self catered en suite somewhere relatively quiet and clean (although I do realise I'm unlikely to find both)

I'd say maybe Talybont Gate

Posted from TSR Mobile
hi, I've applied for my accommodation and I was wondering are you more likely to get your higher preferences if you applied earlier or does this not make a difference? thank you so much!
Hi! I'm stuck between Talybont Gate or Talybont Court? I know that gate is newer, but for the extra waking distance to the uni (I'l be in the redwood building) is there really anything at gate that would make it much better to choose instead of court?
Original post by anise_mc
hi, I've applied for my accommodation and I was wondering are you more likely to get your higher preferences if you applied earlier or does this not make a difference? thank you so much!

The earlier you submit you will most likely get your preference

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hattie28
Hi! I'm stuck between Talybont Gate or Talybont Court? I know that gate is newer, but for the extra waking distance to the uni (I'l be in the redwood building) is there really anything at gate that would make it much better to choose instead of court?

Hi, well gate is right next door to two restaurants (fast food lol) KFC and Mc Donald's (great for hangovers) and it's also next door to a huge tescos which is incredibly convenient. Gate is only an further 10 min walk or so from court.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Hi,
i have accepted Cardiff as my firm offer and have been trying to apply for halls however every time i follow the apply online link it redirects me to the original sims page. Am i doing something wrong or does it just take time for the university to receive me acceptance as a firm offer?
Original post by Hattie28

Hi, i was also indecisive between court and gate but have decided to put court as my top choice! I talked to a few students and they said that they are both clean and nice. They also said that overally court is slightly more socialable and it is 10 minutes nearer to the city centre.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending