The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Cardiff University 2024 Applicant Thread

Hi everyone!

Welcome to the Cardiff University 2024 Applicant Thread! :h:

For tips on preparing for university check out TSR's thread on Freshers on TSR: Getting Ready for University - Let's Share Top Tips!

Find information on the undergraduate courses available at Cardiff University here

You can use this space to ask any questions that you may have about the application process, courses or the university itself and we'll do our best to answer!

We are looking forward to hearing from you!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,
Just looked at the 2024 Medicine admissions policy. Is it true that they will not look at personal statements as deeply as last year? The document says:
"Selection process
4.1 If you meet the minimum entry requirements at Level 2 (typically GCSEs) and Level 3 (typically A
Levels), have submitted an acceptable personal statement and reference, and have completed the
UCAT within the required timeframe, your application will be given an academic score based on the
Level 2 and 3 qualifications achieved."
Will the academic score be the main way of selecting candidates for interview?
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey,

I am looking to apply in 2024 for Genetic and Genomic Counselling (MSc) and I was just wondering is there an open day for this that I can attend to find out some more about the course? If so, when is it? :smile:
Original post by VilasL06
Hi,
Just looked at the 2024 Medicine admissions policy. Is it true that they will not look at personal statements as deeply as last year? The document says:
"Selection process
4.1 If you meet the minimum entry requirements at Level 2 (typically GCSEs) and Level 3 (typically A
Levels), have submitted an acceptable personal statement and reference, and have completed the
UCAT within the required timeframe, your application will be given an academic score based on the
Level 2 and 3 qualifications achieved."
Will the academic score be the main way of selecting candidates for interview?

Hi there,

I don't study medicine myself so have limited knowledge but I imagine that it would have a significant impact on that decision. If you have any specific questions or are wondering about what do do, check the "next steps" section at the bottom of this page.

All the best

Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Original post by ayanassarx
Hey,

I am looking to apply in 2024 for Genetic and Genomic Counselling (MSc) and I was just wondering is there an open day for this that I can attend to find out some more about the course? If so, when is it? :smile:

Hi there,

I'm sorry for the delayed response. You can book a place on the postgraduate open day on Wednesday 22 November 2023 between 10.00 and 14.00 here.

All the best

Reply 5
anyone applying for biomed here?? i'm applying to biomed and biology at cardiff so would be great to know other people :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by mai0may
anyone applying for biomed here?? i'm applying to biomed and biology at cardiff so would be great to know other people :smile:

Heyy I think I might be applying Biomed at Cardiff for my fifth non-medicine option. Wait are you allowed to apply for two courses at the same uni?
Reply 7
Original post by VilasL06
Heyy I think I might be applying Biomed at Cardiff for my fifth non-medicine option. Wait are you allowed to apply for two courses at the same uni?

yeah you can :smile: i know people who applied to the same uni for 3 of her choices! sometimes it's not recommended if the grades are the same because sometimes it can be wiser to have an aspirational/safe choice but you are allowed to do it :biggrin:
Original post by mai0may
yeah you can :smile: i know people who applied to the same uni for 3 of her choices! sometimes it's not recommended if the grades are the same because sometimes it can be wiser to have an aspirational/safe choice but you are allowed to do it :biggrin:

HI there!

Yes, this is allowed. Please let me know if you have any other questions about Cardiff:smile:
Not sure which course to settle on of Mathematics, Financial Mathematics or Banking and Finance.
Hi - had an offer yesterday for Maths for 2024 start. Have achieved grades so think that's why I heard early. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas re: accommodation that's relatively close (catered, if available, would be even better) - I think maths is in the new Abacws Building. I'm joining after a gap year (disability) so don't mind sharing with any year. Thanks
Original post by maths2024.
Hi - had an offer yesterday for Maths for 2024 start. Have achieved grades so think that's why I heard early. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas re: accommodation that's relatively close (catered, if available, would be even better) - I think maths is in the new Abacws Building. I'm joining after a gap year (disability) so don't mind sharing with any year. Thanks

well done! when did you apply? :smile:
Original post by nininanana
well done! when did you apply? :smile:

Thank you :-) sent in application last Fri 13/10 so quite quick turnaround.
Does anyone know much about the music (more specifically drumming) facilities (planning on taking Music BMus)? Also wondering if I would be able to bring my electronic drum kit to the halls of residence and if so which accommodation location would be best for it :smile:
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 14
Original post by CardiffUni Rep
Hi everyone!

Welcome to the Cardiff University 2024 Applicant Thread! :h:

For tips on preparing for university check out TSR's thread on Freshers on TSR: Getting Ready for University - Let's Share Top Tips!

Find information on the undergraduate courses available at Cardiff University here

You can use this space to ask any questions that you may have about the application process, courses or the university itself and we'll do our best to answer!

We are looking forward to hearing from you!

Hi!
I’m looking to apply in 2024 for Computer Science Bsc. The entry requirements for the course are ABB. My predicted grades are A (Comp Science) B (Maths) C (Physics). As I’m one grade below the required grades what would be my chances of receiving an offer? I was expecting a B for Physics so I’m disappointed with the C.😕

Any advice would be really appreciated😊
Original post by mai0may

hey, I am, but not too sure about Cardiff as a city, because i didn't get the chance to attend the open day. Could anyone tell me how it is?
Reply 16
Original post by emilyjordan
hey, I am, but not too sure about Cardiff as a city, because i didn't get the chance to attend the open day. Could anyone tell me how it is?

It's a diverse, student-led city with loads of shops and cafes. It's also very green and spacious. What other unis are you applying to? I've applied to Cardiff, Reading, Sheffield and Warwick.
Original post by onizokuchou99
Not sure which course to settle on of Mathematics, Financial Mathematics or Banking and Finance.

Hi there,

Is there a specific career that you're interested in after graduation?

Original post by maths2024.

Hi there,

Are you looking for Cardiff University accommodation or would you prefer private? Are you happy with a shared bathroom etc?

Original post by KWheat
Hi!
I’m looking to apply in 2024 for Computer Science Bsc. The entry requirements for the course are ABB. My predicted grades are A (Comp Science) B (Maths) C (Physics). As I’m one grade below the required grades what would be my chances of receiving an offer? I was expecting a B for Physics so I’m disappointed with the C.😕

Any advice would be really appreciated😊

Hi there,

I'm sorry that you're disappointed with your predicted grades. The range for computer science at Cardiff uni is ABB-BBB so you may have a chance if you get ABC. I'd say to discuss improving this with your teachers.

All the best,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending