The Student Room Group

These A Level Choices?

I want to do Physics, and Maths. Then, I would like to do System Software Dev, as am interested in, would this be to difficult a combination since I didn't do Computering, and did ICT GCSE? Or would it be all right, as these would go well together?

I want to avoid essay heavy A levels, and languages. Is avoiding essay subjects entirely a bad choice?

For my fourth choice, that I will probably be what I drop after AS, would Technology and Design be okay, or would that be a bad one to drop?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by namedperson
I want to do Physics, and Maths. Then, I would like to do System Software Dev, as am interested in, would this be to difficult a combination since I didn't do Computering, and did ICT GCSE? Or would it be all right, as these would go well together?

I want to avoid essay heavy A levels, and languages. Is avoiding essay subjects entirely a bad choice?

For my fourth choice, that I will probably be what I drop after AS, would Technology and Design be okay, or would that be a bad one to drop?

Assuming you want to go to university, it depends on what degree and what kind of university you want to go to. Check out what subjects are required for the degree you want and do those, and the rest shouldn't really matter a great deal, as long as they are respectable and you get a good grade in it. Use the UCAS website to find this stuff out.

If you don't want to go to university, check what the requirements are for the type of job, apprenticeship or internship you want to apply for and the same principle applies.
Reply 2
Original post by namedperson

The System Software & Dev. A level is probably a waste of time. Stick to the traditional academic subjects - top universities prefer those A levels to these new fangled long winded titled A levels. Just like ICT at GCSE or A level - they weren't respected either.
Reply 3
Original post by z_of_8.1
The System Software & Dev. A level is probably a waste of time. Stick to the traditional academic subjects - top universities prefer those A levels to these new fangled long winded titled A levels. Just like ICT at GCSE or A level - they weren't respected either.

What would be a good replacement with my choices? ICT and Systems Software, are the only computer related A levels, and if I go for something nearly similar, am not left with much choices as I would suck at essay subjects or languages.

Quick Reply

Latest