Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I'm moving to uni in Sept. after a gap year, and the renting periods in my chosen halls are 39 (ends 2 days after the semester ends), 40 (ends 9 days after semester ends), or 48 weeks (ends late August) and I wasn't sure which one was best to go for? I'm not sure if people hang around at my uni or not after the semester ends and my uni is in London so there would be plenty to do, but I also want to spend some time at home before going back
    • Community Assistant

    Community Assistant
    Go for 40, you might want more than 2 days to socialise with people and pack up but you'll be able to do it in less than 9 days and if you're going into private housing your contract should start soon after if for whatever reason you do stay over the summer. The 48 week accommodation is probably for postgrads and you don't really need that much extra time anyway.

    my experience is that a lot of people are packed up and gone by 5pm on the last day, final university party nights etc are always really disappointing as most people have left... it will depend on your friends whether you'll want to stay, it's only one week so I'd imagine it's only going to add £80 or so on and will give you the freedom so if you think you might want to stay if your friends do or that you might like some leeway on which day you need to move then I'd pay it and go for 40 weeks... no one will be there over summer and it's a lot to pay out to live alone in halls so I wouldn't do 48
The home of Results and Clearing


people online now


students helped last year

University open days

  1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.