Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I do three sciences and maths A2 and doing further maths AS on my own this year. Definitely doing FP1 and M1, but I've not really started the third unit and only have about two months left till the exam.
    I'm fine with both pure and mechanics but which one is easier to self teach in a short period of time? Kinda need an A lol :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RonnieRJ)
    I do three sciences and maths A2 and doing further maths AS on my own this year. Definitely doing FP1 and M1, but I've not really started the third unit and only have about two months left till the exam.
    I'm fine with both pure and mechanics but which one is easier to self teach in a short period of time? Kinda need an A lol :|
    M1. FP2 is long (de Moivre's theorem is tedious).

(Original post by kkboyk)
    M1. FP2 is long (de Moivre's theorem is tedious).
    Well, M2?
    Yeah that's my worry, the formula booklet alone got me a bit stressed

Thank you
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    While it is possible to self-teach either module in the said timeframe, I'd recommend M2 over FP2 since it is the least difficult of the two :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Well, M2?
    Yeah that's my worry, the formula booklet alone got me a bit stressed

Thank you
    Oh right you meant M1. Yeah I find M2 easier (although I'm terribly bad at Mechanics). However, both can be learnt in 2-3months especially if you're confident with C1-4 and FP1 content.

ReputationRep:
    most people will go for M2 (easier and less content)

ReputationRep:
    I'm also teaching myself Further Maths this year.

Do M2. Simple.

ReputationRep:
    Which board?

ReputationRep:
    I would go for FP2... I found it an utter breeze compared to M2. Plus, it's actually really fast to self-teach!

M2 and FP2 are both good modules, but I'd pick M2 given your timeframe as it has less content to learn.

ReputationRep:
    M2. I think FP2 is easier once you've learnt it, but harder to learn..of course there is ample time to learn both but less energy will probably be exerted if you pick M2

(Original post by kkboyk)
    Oh right you meant M1. Yeah I find M2 easier (although I'm terribly bad at Mechanics). However, both can be learnt in 2-3months especially if you're confident with C1-4 and FP1 content.
    Ok that seems alright. I only started considering M2 a couple days ago when I realise a lot of it relates to things I've met in physics
    (Original post by B_9710)
    Which board?
    Edexcel
    (Original post by Zacken)
    I would go for FP2... I found it an utter breeze compared to M2. Plus, it's actually really fast to self-teach!
    But would I be able to do it in the next 2 months? Up to an A standard as well. I'm worried I'll try to do it too quickly and just end up getting something lower :/
    (Original post by Marxist)
    M2 and FP2 are both good modules, but I'd pick M2 given your timeframe as it has less content to learn.
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    M2. I think FP2 is easier once you've learnt it, but harder to learn..of course there is ample time to learn both but less energy will probably be exerted if you pick M2
    Yeah that's the thing, I'm not too bothered about difficulty as I generally get over anything harder than usual quickly, it's just a matter of getting it done in time :|

Thank you all

ReputationRep:

But would I be able to do it in the next 2 months? Up to an A standard as well. I'm worried I'll try to do it too quickly and just end up getting something lower :/
    A fair estimate would be a week to learn it and another week to practice it and you're basically done in half a month.

(Original post by Zacken)
    A fair estimate would be a week to learn it and another week to practice it and you're basically done in half a month.
    FP1 went even quicker than that tbh but I was worried the other modules would take longer

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I would say for time do M2 as some things you may be familiar with from physics whereas FP2 it will all be completely new stuff and will probably take longer to learn.
    If you enjoy the pure maths and think you'd prefer to learn FP2 (if you want to do a module you're more likely to do well in it) then pick that.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Slightly lost - I'm not sure if FP2 is allowed to go towards AS Further Maths?

I would suggest the lowest Decision or Stats that you can do but.. :innocent: :hide:

Or is this a freaky exam board? :ninjagirl:

ReputationRep:
    If a mathematical incompetent like me can get a decently high A mark in his M2 mock, I'd suggest doing M2 :P

ReputationRep:
    Well this is the face I pull when I do FP2--->:sexface:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    M2 is easier by a mile. I don't think M2 is much harder than M1 in terms of difficulty, it's just more content. FP2, on the other hand, is a huge step up form FP1.

...Having said that, I found FP2 more interesting and way more useful if you're doing a science degree.

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask how come you are doing As and 4 Alevels?
    I was gonna do literally same as you but also consider A2 but school didn't allow me to.
    You don't need it do u? Because I thought u got an offer from ucl but just wondering if that's one of the conditions.

Btw M2 is tasty I'm doing for normal maths it's just physics + M1 + goodness.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.